CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-23-2007, 08:04 AM   #1
Benjamin W Herbert

Profile:
Hey guys, the title is kinda self explanatory. I really don't like wearing shoes or any type of extra weight when I run, so usually I run on the grass with shoes off. I haven't experienced any joint pain or setbacks but I was wanting to know if there a problem with doing this? I don't want to pave the way to future problems. THX!
Old 04-23-2007, 08:26 AM   #2
Matt Thomas

Profile:
I don't have any sources at hand, but I'm sure somebody else will come along and post some, but I've actually read that it can be very beneficial for your feet, and the rest of your body, while wearing super supportive running shoes can lead to negative side effects later on.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:51 AM   #3
Gorm Laursen

Profile:
You're built to run on your bare feet, so as long as it's on grass, I'd say there's no problem. But consider walking barefoot as well, as your feet are accustomed to wearing shoes. I'd done some barefeet running, but I'm too afraid of sharp things lying in the grass, so I don't do it any more. The other day I played soccer for 2 hours straight at high intensity barefoot on cement, and experienced some soreness in the sinews in the foot sole two days after, but nothing else. The feet are sturdy servants ...
Old 04-23-2007, 09:31 AM   #4
David Sailor

Profile:
The Pose method of running leans this way, I think. This method advocates very thin soled shoes for practical purposes but would probably lend well to barefoot running. Foot strike plays a role in the impact and the Pose method advocates landing on the balls of your feet instead of your heels, to land with your foot under you instead of out front so as to prevent a braking action which also has more impact to the foot. David
Old 04-23-2007, 09:31 AM   #5
Martin Schap

Profile:
http://www.barefooters.org/running.html
Some links not WS/FS nost notably the .info one looks like a bunch of nudie pics or something. I didn't delve too much. Running barefoot is supposed to be great on the feet. My college track coach would have us do it, and Roger Bannister refers to it in his book Four Minute Mile. I always walk the length of the grass where I'll be running to check for sharp things, and I walk barefoot all summer.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:03 PM   #6
Connie Morreale

Profile:
running barefoot is probably okay for those with good biomechanics. if i ran without my custom orthotics for a mile i'd wind up with plantar faciaitis or posterior tibialis tendonitis. if there is no history of orthopedic problems, and you dont have extra high arches or very flat feet go for it. at the first sign of trouble, stop and get some support (and maybe even a foot evaluation).
-----------------------

dy try n
Old 04-23-2007, 12:28 PM   #7
Corey Duvall

Profile:
I have posted this before and I'll post it again. It's a link to a paper one of my professors at chiropractic college wrote. I do these religiously in the grass before any run or workout. http://wellness.ndsu.nodak.edu/fitne...footDrills.pdf If you're not having foot problems and are already running with barefeet regularly you should be ok. These drills are a way to strengthen the muscles of the lower leg that support the arches of the foot. Our bodies were built to be brace and orthotic free and our musculature should be conditioned well enough to support us. But wearing shoes from the time we were little and always walking/running on cement/hard surfaces has deconditioned our feet. This is a great way to get that back. I have heard, though not read any credible studies, that the kenyans are such excellent runners because they do it in barefeet from the time they are small. Their feet and lower leg conditioning is so much greater than the rest of the world. Not sure if its true or not, but it would make sense to me on some level.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:36 PM   #8
Martin Schap

Profile:
Good article Corey. Thanks for posting it again, as I'd never seen it. I've heard that about the Kenyans too, though I have to think that their reputation for training extremely hard might have something to do with it too... :wink:
Old 04-23-2007, 03:36 PM   #9
Garrett Smith

Profile:
I'd highly, highly suggest that everyone incorporate those foot drills into their warmup routines, unless they're already doing a specific joint mobility program.

Mobilizing the joints of the foot and ankle with those movements will help with the entire kinetic chain all the way up the body.

Seriously.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:15 PM   #10
Benjamin W Herbert

Profile:
Great discussion guys, I really enjoyed the feedback!