CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 11-11-2008, 05:53 PM   #1
Amy Kaspar

Profile:
Smile Sore Sore Sore

Two days into modified CF warm-ups and I'm sore! How long you think before the soreness goes away and I can do a modified WOD?

Thanks for any help and replies.

Amy
Old 11-11-2008, 06:00 PM   #2
Emily Maisannes

Profile:
Re: Sore Sore Sore

Welcome! I was uniformly sore for the first 2 weeks. It wasn't anything that affected daily life, but just a reminder of what I had been doing. From what I have read, the rule of thumb is to do your warm up, and if you're still sore, skip it. It might save you from injury. I'm not sure that all soreness ever goes away, since it stays at the same level of difficulty, and your times go down as your weights go up. Alleve, hot showers, baths, plenty of water, and sleep will help.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:49 PM   #3
Natalie Dent

Profile:

I think I was sore for a couple weeks. I have been doing it now since January and there are still a few workouts that will leave me sore, but its not like in the beginning.

In the mean time just make sure your getting enough sleep and eating well.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:14 PM   #4
Jared Ashley

Profile:

There will never be a time that you're more sore than the first two days!

Seriously... it's always worst when you start. Every now and then I get lazy and don't work out for a few weeks straight, and every time I do that my body hates me for a week or so until it readjusts to the activity level. If this is your first time really pushing it ever, then it might take longer to recover, but after a month (or likley less) you will find you're not nearly as sore after a harder workout... on top of that, you'll likley find you enjoy a certain (much more reasonable) amount of soreness. I'm not talking "it hurts to get off the couch" pain, just a subtle feeling that you can tell you've pushed yourself.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:42 AM   #5
Amanda Jane

Profile:

Hi Amy,

I'm new to crossfit myself and I'm hearing ya on the soreness!

There is one really positive point to being sore at this stage though (ok - maybe not as sore as we are just now, but bear with me)...

In the beginning we really need to focus on the correct form for all of the CF excersises - getting these down is the no.1 priority to getting the most from CF workouts and not injuring ourselves.... I'm finding that the soreness is making me VERY aware of exactly what my body is doing - which in turn is really helping me to slow down and take the time to make sure I'm getting my form right (it also seems to be helping to stop me from slouching over my desk at work).

So you see - every cloud has a silver lining
xxx
Lucky Hateball #8
Skate 'till you puke!
Old 11-12-2008, 05:21 AM   #6
Stephen Smith

Profile:

Soreness can also be a useful cue to how you're performing on certain exercises. For example, when doing squats, if your quads come away sore you're not going nearly deep enough, but if your glutes and hamstrings are the sore muscles you're heading in the right direction depth-wise. Once you're working on pull-ups, the soreness should be more in your back than in your biceps. There are more like this, but these 2 immediately came to mind because I was guilty of improperly doing both of these...
Old 11-13-2008, 07:17 PM   #7
Jack Patterson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy Kaspar View Post
Two days into modified CF warm-ups and I'm sore! How long you think before the soreness goes away and I can do a modified WOD?

Thanks for any help and replies.

Amy
I have spent the last 5 weeks sore. Im just now getting used to the workouts. Its all good though!
Old 11-13-2008, 07:33 PM   #8
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Smith View Post
Soreness can also be a useful cue to how you're performing on certain exercises. For example, when doing squats, if your quads come away sore you're not going nearly deep enough, but if your glutes and hamstrings are the sore muscles you're heading in the right direction depth-wise. Once you're working on pull-ups, the soreness should be more in your back than in your biceps. There are more like this, but these 2 immediately came to mind because I was guilty of improperly doing both of these...
Not necessarily. Lots of air squats will wreck your quads even if you're going deep enough. And hitting failure on a lot of pullups in one day will certainly wreck your biceps and your serratus anterior the next day.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:30 PM   #9
Pete Nadeau

Profile:

Sore is good, you have done the WOD correctly
Pain is bad; you have done the WOD incorrectly
Old 11-14-2008, 06:21 AM   #10
Jethro Soudant

Profile:

I've been CFing since June and am sore more often than not. Not nearly as harsh as the first couple weeks, but nonetheless...

Someone on these forums once wrote "Crossfit never get easier, but everything else in life does". Very true.

Oddly, I seem to crave the muscle soreness nowadays... Kinda makes me feel alive in a strange way. Makes me feel like I'm progressing.