CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 09-08-2008, 03:26 PM   #1
Max Chiswick

Profile:
Cardio is weak -- add it to warmup?

I've been doing the CFWU as suggested (3 reps of 10). My cardio seems pretty bad -- get tired really quickly and am very slow. Should I add a mile to my warmup and a mile to my cooldown on non cardio WOD days?

Any suggestions as far as how much I add, how I do it (elliptical, track, treadmill, rowing, etc.), if I do it before/after, etc.?
Old 09-08-2008, 04:02 PM   #2
David Sumner

Profile:
Re: Cardio is weak -- add it to warmup?

Cardio, dirty word on this site Think Metabolic Conditioning, or MetCon. Rower is great for this. 250 meters under 1 minute and 500 meters under 2 minutes is a good starting goal. 250 meters in 45 seconds and 500 meters in 1:30 is smoking for a fit individual. Look at some of the videos on rowing before you do too much, easy to get a sore back if done wrong. Try a 4x500m row with 1 minute rest between each 500. Throw in 1k or 2k row for a warmup from time to time. If you don't have access to a rower or prefer to run you can try interval sprints. Track is better than a treadmill and much safer for sprinting it out. Lots of different combinations you can try for intervals.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:17 PM   #3
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

First place you should look is towards your Rest and Diet. If those are not heading in the right direction, you may not see much progress.

After that, I really don't think you need to supplement with anything, provided that you're hitting the WODs hard (both metcon and lifting). Adding a small warmup row/run really won't do that much in the scope of things... at least in comparison to doing the WODs.

For just a warmup though, rowing is terrific. There are an endless number of customizations and substitutions you can make to CrossFit to fit your needs. If you don't think you're getting enough metcon, then sub out some of the lifting days for intervals, or maybe the rare distance run.

Cater the program to fit your needs, but adding a 1 mile warmup run probably won't do much for you (other than warm you up) if the WODs themselves aren't enough. In that case, like I said, you may wish to start by looking towards the other contributing factors such as diet and rest.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:30 PM   #4
Jacob Cloud

Profile:

You want better cardio? You're close. You're at least on the right site. But instead of adding a mile run here and there, add more CF reading to your CFWU. Seriously, you aren't "getting it" yet if you're asking this question. But you're close to the answers!

Up the intensity in your warmup, your workout, your diet, and your rest. Your "cardio" will come, and quickly. That's kinda the whole point.

FWIW a 1:30 row doesn't really show cardio fitness. I'm a huge out of shape fatass and can pull a 1:35 at will.

Just keep doing the WODs as intensely as necessary. This includes the heavy lifting WODs like last week and the 3k today.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:17 PM   #5
David Sumner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Cloud View Post
FWIW a 1:30 row doesn't really show cardio fitness. I'm a huge out of shape fatass and can pull a 1:35 at will.
Four 1:30 efforts back to back will make your heart and lungs work, just a little Your hugeness helps you pull on the rower. The smaller you are the more work it takes.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:36 PM   #6
Jacob Cloud

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Sumner View Post
Four 1:30 efforts back to back will make your heart and lungs work, just a little Your hugeness helps you pull on the rower. The smaller you are the more work it takes.

This time, I agree with you completely.