CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 07-10-2008, 10:54 AM   #1
Jon Warr

Profile:
Questions about Warm-ups

I began CrossFit about two months ago, and really enjoy it. I've tried to follow the WODs, to include doing the "Official Crossfit Warm-up" cited in the FAQs prior to every WOD. Recently, a very athletic friend of mine who also does Crossfit and other workouts questioned why I do the same warm-up every day. He believed the consistent repetition would actually hinder my improvement versus help. Now, I thought I was in pretty good shape, but even the warm-up gets me sweating and 3 sets of 10 - 15 pull-ups is a stretch for a guy that can only knock out 11 pull-ups in one shot.

Should I reduce the number of reps for the warm-up. Should I mix in other activities? Am I missing something with the "Official Warm-up" or should I continue to do it on a daily basis? While, on this subject, are there any recommendations for cool-downs after the WOD? Any input or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon
Old 07-10-2008, 12:33 PM   #2
Brian Bedell

Profile:
Re: Questions about Warm-ups

IMO, which is based on my own experience only and everyone is obviously different, but doing the entire cfwu each day 3 on 1 off causes me to overtrain very quickly. The thing takes me like 11 minutes. I think that's too much for "only" a warmup. I have started doing only two rounds; I don't think it should take more then 5-7 minutes to get warmed up. So, I would change it up some if I was you...do something else, fewer rounds, or fewer reps. But don't get carried away with feeling you have to do the cfwu, this is your body, your exercise regiment. Do what you want. Enjoy. Doing the cfwu does get tedious.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:16 PM   #3
Brian Doll

Profile:

I think of the official warm-up as an interesting marker for CF progress. If your "real" workout will be heavy on pull-ups, doing less of them during the warm-up certainly makes sense (and is noted in the FAQ).

For me, however, I can't even get through three full rounds of the warm-up. How sad is that? Granted I'm only two days in, but it is nice to know that at some point (shortly?) down the road, I'll be able to consider it "just a warm up" and get on to something else.

Maybe alternating the official warm up with some period of running, jumping rope or other activity would go nicely for you. As long as your able to stretch and loosen up a bit, I think you're good to go.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:02 PM   #4
George Mounce

Profile:

Personally - I do the Greg A warm-up (you can find the video off the demos on the main site). If its going to be some sort of lifting that day, I also do the Burgener warm-up.
Old 07-10-2008, 05:10 PM   #5
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

The process of the warmup really isn't that important as long as it's serving the same purpose: warming you up.

It shouldn't be so intense that you're risking over training. And repetition shouldn't be an issue, because you're not working the sets particularly hard in the first place. No harm at all in scaling it down to meet your level.

I did the Greg A warmup for a while as well and it served me pretty well. It took me longer than it takes me to do 3 rounds of the CFWU, but they both achieved their purpose.

Some days I'll do Burgener; some days I'll row; some days CFWU. Doesn't really matter as long as you're getting warmed up and all of the right joints and muscle groups are getting fired before the really intense stuff.
Old 07-10-2008, 05:23 PM   #6
Brett Dartt

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bedell View Post
IMO, which is based on my own experience only and everyone is obviously different, but doing the entire cfwu each day 3 on 1 off causes me to overtrain very quickly. The thing takes me like 11 minutes. I think that's too much for "only" a warmup. I have started doing only two rounds; I don't think it should take more then 5-7 minutes to get warmed up. So, I would change it up some if I was you...do something else, fewer rounds, or fewer reps. But don't get carried away with feeling you have to do the cfwu, this is your body, your exercise regiment. Do what you want. Enjoy. Doing the cfwu does get tedious.
x2 kind of. i realized after about 5 weeks that i was exhausted every day and now i do the Greg A warmup on metcon days and only do the cfwu on oly and max effort days. i am feeling much better about this and my weight is coming off now
Old 07-19-2008, 12:32 AM   #7
Jon Warr

Profile:

All,

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like I need to lighten up the load / reps, and just mix it up a bit. I'll definately take a look at the Greg A and Burgener warm-ups, too. Perhaps, some day, I'll get tot the point where the official warm-up feels like a warm-up. Any recommendations on cool-down activities or practices?