CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-03-2008, 07:44 AM   #1
Kidafi Byer

Profile:
Intermittent fasting

Have any one had success with IF? Well why I ask is that I have been doing the zone for a few week now and I believe it working but the only this is that I am constantly thinking about food and my next meal and hoping I don't miss a meal etc. I think it kind of wears on you after a while having to eat every few hours and spending most of you time preparing meals for the following day. I usuall eat 5-6 times a day but I think I might cut back on one snack and eat 4 times a day but still try to get in the reqd blocks. I just don't want to be worrying about food, the same way I don't worry about what exercise to do since I just log on and follow the WODS. This is why I like crossfit. I know nutrition plays a very big part in being healthy and fit but I am just trying to make it easier and more realistic for my lifestyle. IF seems to be a change from the norm, but stuffing all those blocks in that small window time frame could be a challenge. What are your thoughts?

Thanks.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:12 AM   #2
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:
Re: Intermittent fasting

Myself and many other have had success on IF. Try it, but like with all things fitness, start slow and build up.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:27 AM   #3
Mike ODonnell

Profile:

I have too many thoughts on IF...hence why I do a whole blog about it.
www.theiflife.com

If you are new to the idea or need help, I made a free report that you can access once you sign up for the RSS/email feeds....it's a link at the bottom of every feed to download the report.

In short....IF works for many people (and can also not work for others)...I never count calories...I never want to....everyone is different and you have to learn how to tweak for your goals and lifestyle. You may have to find 10 ways how NOT to do IF before you find your perfect routine....but then the freedom to understand how your body works, what it needs and the added health benefits are worth the effort in my book.

In the end....it works if you make it work for you....there is no one right way...just guidelines to keep in mind and tweak to meet your individualistic needs and goals.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:54 AM   #4
Brett Dartt

Profile:

duck and cover!! j/k

i had no real success with zone after almost two months. (yes i weighed and measured and the only grains i had were two slices of ezekiel bread a couple days a week) but then i switched to IF and have tried to keep the food im eating reasonable but mostly just staying inside my calories and i have lost two and a half inches in the last six weeks. some of this may be muscle though because i have not been able to REALLY workout in the last three weeks. just pullups and pushups and air squats here and there to maintain. but i definitely see a difference in body comp so i know most of it is fat
Old 07-03-2008, 09:21 AM   #5
Casey Raiford

Profile:

Where'd you lose the 2 1/2 inches though?

Just kidding. I'm holding IF in reserve for now as something to black box in the future. I've inadvertantly done it in the past and it's produced results, but not in the context of high intensity workouts.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:33 AM   #6
Brett Dartt

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Raiford View Post
Where'd you lose the 2 1/2 inches though?

Just kidding. I'm holding IF in reserve for now as something to black box in the future. I've inadvertantly done it in the past and it's produced results, but not in the context of high intensity workouts.
lol thats actually a good question i forgot to mention. it was around my love handles and belly button
Old 07-03-2008, 12:00 PM   #7
George Mounce

Profile:

I've had success with IF, just doesn't work really well with my current job. I do agree to start out slow and hit up Mike's blog its a great resource. Formation flying without food in your stomach will make anyone puke.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:44 PM   #8
Jason Lin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
In the end....it works if you make it work for you....there is no one right way...just guidelines to keep in mind and tweak to meet your individualistic needs and goals.
So true. By the way, Mike, I recently read your comment on Performance Menu on the topic of SNS/PNS and that has really helped me understand the importance and the necessity of "intermittence" in IF.

http://www.performancemenu.com/forum...ead.php?t=2619

Good stuff as always! Thanks a bunch.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:17 PM   #9
Mike ODonnell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Lin View Post
So true. By the way, Mike, I recently read your comment on Performance Menu on the topic of SNS/PNS and that has really helped me understand the importance and the necessity of "intermittence" in IF.

http://www.performancemenu.com/forum...ead.php?t=2619

Good stuff as always! Thanks a bunch.
Yeah, I've seen where people can get out of control anxiety, depression, chronic fatigue and so forth....so best way is always to start slow....and see how your body adapts. Most people who can do IF more frequently/longer usually have very low stress levels (or can handle stress very well), get plenty of sleep and do not overtrain....someone that has a history of panic attacks, anxiety or depression, someone who trains way too much, and someone who doesn't get good sleep will not do well with IF too often. Of course hopefully people can work on the lifestyle issues as those are huge factors in health, fat loss and muscle gain. That in a world where people want to keep the same eating schedule everyday, IF is not some "diet" with strict rules and is really just another tool for improved health/fat loss that is supposed to be.....well....Intermittent. Listening to our bodies and understanding what works and what doesn't, could be the most important thing we do...because then we can have total control and understand how to eat for our lifestyle with it's ever changing schedules, demands and situations we find ourselves in. Life is supposed to be dynamic (not static), so learning to adapt to any situation is vital for long term success, and IF is just one of the tools that can help us.

Last edited by Mike ODonnell : 07-03-2008 at 03:21 PM.