CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-03-2008, 11:19 AM   #1
Jakub Kruhlik

Profile:
Sprint Program

Tried searching it but didnt really find much.

So Sunday I intercepted a pass during my soccer game at about the half. It was a one on one breakaway sprint of about 50 yards. The kid eventually stopped the play because he pushed me from the back and got a foul, but that got me thinking and there's no way i should have even allowed him to get that close I should have smoked him. So I'm looking to increase my 50 m and 100 m sprints. I know that to get faster you have to do 100% max sprints with full recovery and 6-8 sets is ideal.

So following that as my guideline I came up with this program:

Monday: 3 Olympic lifts
Tuesday: 50 m x 6 [5minute rest between sets]; agility drills
Wednesday: 3 olympic lifts
Thursday: 100 m x 6 [5minute rest between sets]; agility drills
Friday: 3 olympic lifts
Saturday: light running [i.e. pick-up soccer game]; agility drills

Thanks!!
Old 06-03-2008, 11:58 AM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Sprint Program

1. Are you doing anything else with this? Like CF?
2. How are you programming the oly?
3. Make sure your running/sprinting technique is good.
4. Ideally you want actually more rest between sets but 5 is a decent amount for what you're after.
5. 3/1/2/1 might be better than 5/2 with one of the 2s as your game (one for the former). If you're playing pick up soccer and you are the type of person that "gets into it" you might want to do game/rest/4/rest or something along the lines of game/1/rest/3/rest.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:22 PM   #3
Jakub Kruhlik

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
1. Are you doing anything else with this? Like CF?
2. How are you programming the oly?
3. Make sure your running/sprinting technique is good.
4. Ideally you want actually more rest between sets but 5 is a decent amount for what you're after.
5. 3/1/2/1 might be better than 5/2 with one of the 2s as your game (one for the former). If you're playing pick up soccer and you are the type of person that "gets into it" you might want to do game/rest/4/rest or something along the lines of game/1/rest/3/rest.
1. the only other thing that will be going along with this is 2 hour soccer practice Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Depending on the day I'll make sure to do my weightlifting/sprinting in the morning since practice is 7-9pm.

2. I was just gonna randomly select each day 3 lifts from this list: push press, clean and jerk, snatch, bench press, power clean, squat, dead lift. I'm not really sure what combo of exercises would work best together, maybe you can suggest something better Steven?

3. I've been reading up a lot on form/technique but any links you may know of would be greatly appreciated.

4. How much then, or just stick with 5 minutes?

5. I'll probably take your advice and do 3/1/2/1. and on days where i lift or do sprints and have a game [where I know I'll already be doing alot of running/sprinting already] ill just skip that days workout.

thank you for your time Steven.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:54 PM   #4
Travis Ramme

Profile:

Jakub,

My first post, but I figure this is a topic I know a fair amount about, so I would throw my two cents in. I was a national caliber sprinter in high school and college. In my experience, speed workouts always focused on very high intensity, (relatively) low volume intervals combined with plyometrics and fast twitch drills.

A typical "speed day" workout would consist of something akin to the following:

15 Min. warmup jog, moderate pace
10-15 Min of streching. This part was really important, as you can imagine

10 x 100m, 1 min rest between each interval.
Obviously, compared to your sets, this may seem like a small amount of actual running. The key is that you run each interval with maximum exertion. The effect on your entire system is immense.

Likewise, you can scale down distance and increase intervals, i.e. 14 x 60m, but never do speed workouts at less than full out. There are plenty of sprinting specific workouts that include longer intervals, more rest, and less than top speed, but these tend to work on conditioning/indurance than fast twitch ability.

Finally, we would complete a heavy dose of plyometrics. These are perhaps the most important part of speed traning. High, fast reps of box jumps, broad jumps, hurdle jumps (from two feet, standing, bounding over a successive line of hurdles), long "skipping" (jumping as high as you can with good knee drive, as if skipping, for 30m or so).

Another good "twitch muscle" drill is to lie flat on your stomach, hands at your sides, and have someone clap or yell to start you, then scramble to your feet and try to get to a line (20m or so away) as fast as possible. Do reps of these, only alternate your starting position on the ground. Flat on your back, head facing the line, head facing away, etc.

My biggest suggestion would be to not do too many reps of the sprinting intervals. Low volume, high quality, fast intervals will build speed faster than running 5 sets of 10 intervals, etc.

Hopefully you found SOME usable form of information in that tangent!

Regards,
Travis

Last edited by Travis Ramme : 06-03-2008 at 01:57 PM.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:32 PM   #5
Benjamin Walsh

Profile:

Why not do some sprint intervals with a ball in front of you. Your top speed with the ball will always be less than without the ball. Each time you touch the ball, you must break out of good sprinting form, and, therefore, slow down. But practicing this sort of "sprint with ball" would likely close the gap. Good luck.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:06 PM   #6
Jakub Kruhlik

Profile:

Travis- Thank you very much for your insight, def. good to get some input from a real sprinter. Ok so you say you guys only rested 1 minute in between sets. I thought to increase max speed you have to take full rests (i.e. 5 minutes)? And what exactly do you mean by lower volume, because I'm only do 6 sprints total on Tuesday/Thursday, should i make it even less (i dont see how this is more than 10 x 100m)? And how many different plyo's did you do after your sprints and for how many sets/reps? Also would agility drills such as speed ladder work count towards plyo work? Should I follow up the plyo work with some agility work or alternate between the two? Sorry for asking so many questions but i might as well get the info from a legit sprinter than from someone who thinks they are a sprinter.

Benjamin- i will def. be doing sprints with the ball. However on straight breakaways I can always kick the ball ahead of me and sprint to (being that i'll always be faster without the ball than with it).

Steven- i came up with a way to program the Oly lifts, let me know what you think of this.

Monday: Deadlift 5 reps x 3 sets
Bench Press 5x3
Power Clean 5x3

Wednesday: Deadlift 5x3
C&J 5x3
Snatch 5x3

Friday: Deadlift 5x3
Push Press 5x3
Squat 5x3

thank you very much for everyone's help and input!!
Old 06-03-2008, 06:53 PM   #7
Dave Campbell

Profile:

Jakub,
That's a lot of deadlifting considering that you'll be sprinting 2-3 times per week. Perhaps you recover quickly, but my back would be toast if I deadlifted 3 X per week and sprinted 2-3 times per week. If it were me, I'd drop the deadlifts except on Monday and I'd do them last. The power cleans would warm-up your back. In addition, I might sub front squats for back squats to help out my C&J.

Just my .02.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:00 PM   #8
Steven Low

Profile:

Sure, why not.

The resting is important. Not sure how that guy got to be national level with so little rest time in his sprints, heh. If you look at most elite sprinters training you'll see 10-15+ minutes of rest between each set (if they're doing their race distance). Sometimes with like 400m they'll do 250 or 350 then a minute then another 200 or 100 respectively or something along those lines. It is important to train the muscles to react quickly and not let it become metabolic by going again before your muscles have recovered.

HOWEVER, you are playing soccer and obviously do not have "rest" at really any time. Therefore, I'd revise my statement and say do the intervals with shorter rest time. Also, since you don't know most of the time how long you're going to be running I would suggest you cut out slips of paper with like 30m, 35m, 40m, ..., 100m and put them in a bag. Pull one out and do your sprint, walk or jog back, pull another one out and go and so on. This should be very effective.

In any case, all of "that" is way too much. You're playing soccer 4 days a week with 1 game.... AND you want to do sprints AND oly? Prioritize. I'd train your sprints in/after practice and drop the oly all together. Otherwise, you're gonna overreach within a week or two probably and wonder why you feel like crap.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:14 PM   #9
Travis Ramme

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakub Kruhlik View Post
Travis- Thank you very much for your insight, def. good to get some input from a real sprinter. Ok so you say you guys only rested 1 minute in between sets. I thought to increase max speed you have to take full rests (i.e. 5 minutes)? And what exactly do you mean by lower volume, because I'm only do 6 sprints total on Tuesday/Thursday, should i make it even less (i dont see how this is more than 10 x 100m)?
I have to appologize, I misunderstood your original post and thought you were doing 6 intervals in a set, and multiple sets, hence doing 30 or so intervals. Reading it again I have no idea where I got that from That said, what you have looks fine. There will be differences in the "rest time" between intervals depending on your conditioning. I should have elaborated on this in my last post. Basically, the gist of it is to rest until the moment you feel that you would be physically able to do another interval at 100% effort. 1 minute happened to be the threshold most of us were comfortable with, so we used it. For you it may be 5 minutes, it may be 3, etc.

Basically, you don't want your body to relax during the sprinting portion of the workout. While, obviously, you aren't sprinting the entire time (that's what the rest is for), your body should never recover between intervals. You should be winded and hurting the whole time.

Quote:
And how many different plyo's did you do after your sprints and for how many sets/reps? Also would agility drills such as speed ladder work count towards plyo work? Should I follow up the plyo work with some agility work or alternate between the two?
We usually did about 20 min of plyos, which consisted of several "down and back" reps of approx 10 exercises. We did them with very little rest in between. The speed ladder should work fine, but again, make sure it's full exertion the whole time.

Regards,
Travis
Old 06-04-2008, 09:33 AM   #10
Jakub Kruhlik

Profile:

Thank you Travis and Steven for your help, I appreciate it very much!!!