CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-06-2008, 12:07 PM   #21
Peter Williams

Profile:
Re: Nullifying coffee effects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank E Morel View Post
give up coffee.. take up crack... problems solved!

its evil .. soooo evil that the catholic church had to ban it from that masses, and called it black bean devil's juice.

no really, firstly its not as if your drinking gallons of it.
secondly, for every study that you see on how bad it is, there is two more behind it saying how good it is for us. ie reduces colon cancer.

either drink it, or cut down, or stop. easy decision is it not?
I have heard the opposite re colon cancer - i.e. it increases the risk thereof.

Also, on decaf, the chemical process used in the popular off-the-shelf decafs is also not good for you.

All of this said, I do not believe one cup per day is something to fret greatly about. (Although I personally have given it up.)
Old 06-06-2008, 01:04 PM   #22
Dan Hollingsworth

Profile:
Talking Re: Nullifying coffee effects

Go to www.pubmed.org (WFS) and type in "Moderate Coffee Consumption" into the search line. You will bring up over 100 studies that have been published in peer-reviewed medical journal. I just randomly clicked on a few and didn't find one stating a negative effect of moderate coffee consumption. Actually what I saw was a decreased risk of coronary calcification and a decreased risk of Parkinson's Disease.

Yes, if you look hard enough you will find studies that show negative effects. For that matter you don't have to look very hard to find negative studies regarding the Zone Diet or high intensity exercise either. So, you have to take a lot of this stuff with a grain of salt.

Your consumption doesn't even qualify as "moderate". One cup a day. Stop sweating it. Enjoy your life, train hard, eat clean and you'll be fine.

Gotta run, my triple shot is getting cold.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:12 AM   #23
Clay Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoran Kornet View Post
I named them in the last post I wrote, top of this page.
Missed that post, thanks.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:42 AM   #24
Frank E Morel

Profile:

Peter..

coffee and colon cancer.

wfs
http://www.health.harvard.edu/press_...ealth_risk.htm

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17450527

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15713963?ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez. Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DiscoveryPanel.P ubmed_Discovery_RA&linkpos=1&log$=relatedarticles& logdbfrom=pubmed

Last edited by Frank E Morel : 06-07-2008 at 09:44 AM.
Old 06-07-2008, 12:02 PM   #25
John Pavlic

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Kurth View Post
The only way you could get me to give up my coffee would be if you pry it from my cold dead hands
I totally agree with Laura and would also pry coffee out of someone else's cold, dead hands if that is what the situation required in order to get my morning cup of joe. I grind my own beans too because taste is more satisfying/full and I drink less that way.

A life without any vice is boring and not worth living. Moderation is the key. If you can hold yourself to one good cup of coffee in the morning your better man than I, Zoran, and have much fewer vices! Drink your one cup and enjoy it! You deserve it!
Old 06-10-2008, 05:00 AM   #26
Zoran Kornet

Profile:

I'm still not giving up on finding the truth about coffee :P

This is from 2007.:

"...A recent study found that coffee was associated lower C peptide levels (a marker of insulin levels). The researchers in the current study suggest that because there is a strong relationship between insulin resistance and elevated uric acid levels, the decreased insulin levels associated with coffee consumption may lead to lower uric acid levels. Coffee is also a major source of chlorogenic acid, a strong antioxidant, which may improve insulin sensitivity. Chlorogenic acid also helps inhibit glucose absorption in the intestine; in another study decaffeinated coffee seemed to delay intestinal absorption of glucose and increase concentrations of glucagon-like peptide 1, which is well known for its beneficial effects on insulin secretion and action. The researchers note further that their results could be due to an effect of non-caffeine components found in coffee, which would also explain why coffee affected uric acid levels but tea did not."

I guess I'll go and get myself a cup of coffee.