CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-03-2006, 06:39 PM   #1
josh erholm

Profile:  
I have been doing the crossfit warmup before my daily workouts then if any energy left some cardio or additional weight training after the WOD. Do any of you guys any other suggestions for a warm up besides the CF one?

Also are any of you still doing regular weight training along with the WOD's or does it have negative effects because of fatigue?
Old 04-03-2006, 07:15 PM   #2
Norm Rager

Profile:
Hey Josh,

The CF warm-up is great prior to the WOD - try for the 3X if possible and/or time permits for you.

I've tweaked my warm-up recently to include a 5min bike/row/jog, then Burgner WU ( http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/faq.html#Exercises12 ) I've found that this is especially useful on OLY days as form reinforcement prior to the WOD. It also loosens up the shoulder girdle nicely so I do it every day now. Followed by CFWU X2.

Post WOD (unless of very short duration) - try form/bar work on OLY lifs, Hand-stand practice (if you need it) - any skill training that might need some work.

Be warned though - the first time you decide to do a bunch of L-sits, KTEs, etc... after a WOD, Coach will throw 50+ of them at you the next day! That's why I work on skill training - I have a lot to learn by repetition in the OLY lifts.

Extra weight training and/or cardio will tax your recovery unless you keep a close eye on how you feel. If you have specific sport training to do, sub a WOD or mix in your off days.
Old 04-03-2006, 07:38 PM   #3
Tony Young

Profile:
Josh,
Lots of people do lots of other things besides CF. It depends to a certain extent on what you mean by "weight training". There's a good article on using CF to improve PL training in CFJ #33. If you're talking about bodybuilding-type weight training I think you'll find it very unsatisfying after a WOD. If it's mass and definition you're looking for there are several threads over on Nutrition dealing with gaining weight and size and cutting BF%.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:07 AM   #4
Baron Dorff

Profile:
"Be warned though - the first time you decide to do a bunch of L-sits, KTEs, etc... after a WOD, Coach will throw 50+ of them at you the next day! That's why I work on skill training - I have a lot to learn by repetition in the OLY lifts."
That's for sure, and why I started doing the WOD on a 24 hour delay. I run a day behind, and that lets me see what's coming, so I can add to the workout if I feel like it, without fear of getting creamed the next day. I find that gives me the courage to take on skills work, safe in the knowledge that I won't get ambushed the next day.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:15 AM   #5
Martin Schap

Profile:
Me too. I think the one day delay is the way to go if you want to add stuff. Otherwise the day 3s are the only time you can feel safe doing anything extra, and that doesn't work for me because sometimes by day 3 I feel too tired and because I want to do extra more often than that.
Old 04-09-2006, 04:58 AM   #6
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Moving to Fitness.