CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-16-2008, 02:22 PM   #1
Rajib Ghosh

Profile:
Do you subtract g's of fiber from total carbohydrate?

Like I wanted 2 carb blocks from raisin bran..it has 46 g of carbs/cup and 8 g of fiber per cup soo 1/2 cup=23 g of carbs( a little more than 2 blocks) but do you subtract *4g of fiber which makes it 19g of carbs and zone ok to fill in a 2 block of carbs. Also is for 'cheese' is it 1 oz of any kind I usually have provolone, muenster, mozarella and swiss at home.

Anyways I just devised these two meals.

Dinner tonight- 5 oz of chicken (5p), 1 pear (2c), 2 2/3 cups of spinach(2c), 1/2 cup of grapes (1c) ..15 almonds

tomorrow morning breakfast-apple (2c), 1/2 cup of grapes (1c), 1/2 grapefruti(1c), 1/2 slice of whole wheat bread(1c)
8 slices of turkey bacon(2p), 1/4 cottage cheese(1p), 1oz of turkey breast(1p) 1 oz of cheese(1p)
Old 05-16-2008, 02:46 PM   #2
Ian Carver

Profile:
Re: Do you subtract g's of fiber from total carbohydrate?

Yes, subtract the fiber for a "total" number of ingested carbs.

As for cheese, I would check you labels on that one and see what the numbers are that way. I am sure 1 oz. is pretty close across the board in most cheeses, but some may have more fat content than others at the same weight.

Take care and stay fit.
Old 05-16-2008, 04:28 PM   #3
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Rajib;

Good post and great job on improving your diet, and posting videos to improve your form.

Keep up the good work, you'll not only get really, really strong, you'll also enjoy the journey.

Chow On.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:25 PM   #4
Rajib Ghosh

Profile:

Got you on that Ian and thanks for the encouragement and feedback Jay!
Hey anyone in the New York area has to go shop at Whole Foods in Union Square it is heaven!
I currently have elite rings, pullup bar, barbell with weights and want to add a kettlebell to the collection(and a rack if I had space for the back squats that I have been neglecting due to lack of of a rack). I fell in love with crossfit and nutrition and feel great my concentration is razor sharp 2. Only recently have I felt a little tired of constantly checking journal 21 to get the measurements and checking what I have in the fridge for the next day and planning meals. How do you guys do it? stack the fridge and take some time to plan a whole week? go with the flow and eyeball if you dont have time? Take it easy guys
Old 05-17-2008, 12:25 AM   #5
John S Park

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajib Ghosh View Post
Hey anyone in the New York area has to go shop at Whole Foods in Union Square it is heaven!
I currently have elite rings, pullup bar, barbell with weights and want to add a kettlebell to the collection(and a rack if I had space for the back squats that I have been neglecting due to lack of of a rack). I fell in love with crossfit and nutrition and feel great my concentration is razor sharp 2. Only recently have I felt a little tired of constantly checking journal 21 to get the measurements and checking what I have in the fridge for the next day and planning meals. How do you guys do it? stack the fridge and take some time to plan a whole week? go with the flow and eyeball if you dont have time? Take it easy guys
memorize cf journal 21.. no more planning.. just make zone meals on the spot

I used to plan out my meals, but after a while, I just memorized it and said forget planning

I don't really even follow the zone anymore.. Kind of but it is a loose form.. I eat as much fat as I want, while usually keeping my Protein/Carbs compliant with Zone.. My carb intake is minimal because I don't always get enough blocks, but I always do with my protein.. It is much less stressful this way.. If I want, I can cheat and eat ice cream some days without worrying about it

Last edited by John S Park : 05-17-2008 at 12:29 AM.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:25 PM   #6
Craig Adams

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajib Ghosh View Post

As you begin to get more and more familiar with CFJ21 you will note some similarities between food types that will help. Like with carbs; high density carbs whether preferred or not (beans or pasta or oats or barley or rice) are all 1/4 cup per block. Low density carbs such as veggies are mostly 1 cup per block. Apples, pears, those are easy, but it does get tricky with berry fruits.

Like it says in the journal, if you really want the best results you have to be willing to work for it. wieghing out your meat and other foods with a cheap scale is really worth it and after a couple weeks you will get used to it and develop your own routine. Personally, I just weigh out my lunch and snack every morning for work and then make a proper breakfast. When I get home, make a proper zone dinner and snack before bed and I'm done, get up the next day and repeat. Not much to it.

Keep with it, what seems tedious and difficult now is easy and business as usual a month from now.
Old 05-17-2008, 01:40 PM   #7
Eric Lester

Profile:

If you are wanting to be exact I would check the nutrition facts on your cheeses. Their fat content can vary a fair amount.
Old 05-17-2008, 04:57 PM   #8
Justin Algera

Profile:

Just a little bit off topic but, Rajib, you should hit the TJ's down the block from Union Square...Even better, you being in Jackson Heights (Im in Astoria), they just opened one up in Woodside and its considerably less packed and a little better selection. Of course you can always go to the farmer's market in Union Square on the weekends.

You should also come to the Black Box. Free workouts on Wednesday's and Saturdays, and a lot of us go to Astoria Park on the weekends.