CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-14-2008, 11:37 AM   #1
Rohan Sookdeo

Profile:
"Zone perfect" Bars vs Dr.sears "Zone" bars

I have a quetion about The Zone perfect Bars www.zoneperfect.com W/F/S. They have a similar carb/protien/fat ratio ( 24g/14g/7g per bar ) to the Doctor sears variety (which are at 25g/15g/6g) so im not to worried about the ratios. BUt i was wondering if any one knows if these bars are on par with the Dr sears bar as far as controlling insulin spikes?

The Dr sears bars are hard to come by in supermarkets. But the zone perfect ones are fairly easy to find. Though I prefer to snack on fuits and nuts etc I travel alot lateley for work and have been grabbing these thinking they where the Dr Sears variety but realized they where not. I did not even see any mention of the Zone on their website, they do mention atkins, south beach and a few other varieties of eating/ diet styles. Some of the principles on the site is zone like, but im not sure.

Thanks
Old 05-14-2008, 11:51 AM   #2
Rohan Sookdeo

Profile:
Re: "Zone perfect" Bars vs Dr.sears "Zone" bars

I actually kept digging though the forum and had my questions answered as well as some replacement ideas for snacks. on the following thread. Maybe looking this stuff up at 2 am is not that great of an idea.

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=31713
Old 05-14-2008, 02:52 PM   #3
Michael Blazek

Profile:

To pass on some advice that I just got a few days ago about bars. Just don't do them at all. They have sugar and all kinds of things people have never heard of. So you don't really know what your eating. Dr. Sears is a great man for giving us the Zone but even his bars I wouldn't trust. Go natural - fruit and nuts are a great snack!
Old 05-14-2008, 03:05 PM   #4
Butch Montgomery

Profile:

I have friends that are diabetics and they use nutrilite bars. They are 1/2 and 1/2 ratio and are natural. I eat them because I have some health challenges and have to be very careful about what I eat. I don't eat anything with preservatives and it is hard. And the ones I have had taste awesome! You can only get them online, but it is worth is and you get free shipping. I got them from bmontgomery.qhealthzone.com. Also, my Doctor gave me the thumbs up on them for the ingredients.

Good luck!

Last edited by Lynne Pitts : 05-15-2008 at 06:15 PM.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:18 PM   #5
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:

Sorry, but you have got to be kidding with those bars!
I "used" to have type 2 diabetes. I say used to as it is controlled now with paleo eating coupled with IF! If I ate those bars, I would be in sugar heaven. And if my doc told me they were ok for me, I would run away from that doc!! They are loaded with sugars--yeah they are all natural. But are we supposed to be eating that much fruit in a day. And when it is in a "blended" form and we do not chew it, I believe it is much worse as it is too concentrated. I would much rather eat my veggies too. Works the jaw muscles and fills me up A bar doesnt do much but make me hungry as it spikes my insulin! Just read the ingredients (note bold which I added to highlight sugars--and I didnt even bold the carrot, beets, etc which are digested as sugars!!):

NUTRILITE®Fruji Concentrated Fruits & Vegetables
INGREDIENTS: FRUITS AND VEGETABLES BLEND (APPLEPUREE, LEMON JUICE CONCENTRATE, TOMATO EXTRACT,CRANBERRY POWDER, CRANBERRY CONCENTRATE, RASPBERRYCONCENTRATE, ORANGE EXTRACT, POMEGRANATE EXTRACT,NUTRILITE PHYTONUTRIENT BLEND [ROSEMARY EXTRACT,BLUEBERRY POWDER, ACEROLA CONCENTRATE, ELDERBERRYEXTRACT, BROCCOLI, CARROT PULP POWDER, SPINACH POWDER], GELATIN, CORN OIL, SUCROSE, MARIGOLD EXTRACT,CORN STARCH, MALTODEXTRIN, MIXED TOCOPHEROLS, ASCORBYL PALMITATE, CORN BRAN, SILICON DIOXIDE, SOY LECITHIN), RICE CRISPS (RICE FLOUR, MALT EXTRACT, RICE BRAN, CALCIUM CARBONATE), DRIED CRANBERRIES (CRANBERRIES, SUGAR, SUNFLOWER OIL), DRIED VEGETABLE BLEND (CARROT, TOMATO, BEET, RED PEPPER, SPINACH, KALE, BROCCOLI), NATURAL CRANBERRY AND RASPBERRY FLAVOUR.

Last edited by Sarena Kopciel : 05-14-2008 at 06:22 PM.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:27 PM   #6
Butch Montgomery

Profile:

Hey - I was talking about the protein bars, shakes and meal replacement bars and for some reason they work for my dad and his friend? One takes insulin and he loves them. Also, I have IBS which means I can't eat a lot of fruits and veggies or I will get very sick, so I have to be careful about that so perhaps that is why it works for me, just got stats from Doctor and everything is perfect, including blood sugar. Good luck to you!
Old 05-15-2008, 06:09 AM   #7
Rohan Sookdeo

Profile:

I ussualy stay away from bars of any sort bue I startedeating them as a snack while one the road, there is not much accessible at rest areas. ( I am working out of state and drive 0ver 400 Miles to and from home every weekend)

I 86'ed the existing bar at my desk yesterday and will get rid of the others in my car today. I went out and got some jerky, almonds and apples for the drive home tommorow. I guess as long as I Plan I should be fine. Thanks.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:58 AM   #8
Bob Holman

Profile:

I love Dr. Sears for writing his books, hate him for selling out and allowing his name to go on those bars that contradict his core principles by including more chemical ingredients than natural.

As far as getting a Doctor's OK about nutrition. Watch out - I'm a Type I diabetic and have learned that Docs know next to nothing about nutrition and parrot the ADA's approved diet plan - which consist mainly of carbs. I've been able to keep my a1C below 6 for years strictly by reducing my dependence on complex carbs, following the zone and taking most of my carbs from veggies.

Revan
Old 05-15-2008, 01:36 PM   #9
Rohan Sookdeo

Profile:

Bob , My Parents are both type 2 diabetics and the doctor does not do much in the way of explaining what they should and should not be eating. Just more apointments and more medication that does not seem to do anything. I did read doctor sears's list of ingredients on those bars and have not heard of any of those things.
I am concerned about what goes into my body. As Much as I love my family diabetes, high blood pressure etc. is not something I want from them.