CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 04-14-2008, 08:06 AM   #1
Dave Re

Profile:
Low back pain - what else to do?

Ok, read a bunch on this forum, tried several things, etc... The short form - started having low back pain about a month and a half or so ago. I believe it started with a bad squat while doing CFT. It seemed to get a little better, then would get worse, then better again, etc. It wasn't debilitating or anything, just a little sore - but it wouldn't go away. Of course I was working out during this time, are you kidding? Had an OK massage in there at some point, but it didn't really help (wasn't the right guy...)

Two weekends ago, following a workout that involved a lot of ab stuff and KB swings (the April 5th event here: http://www.thefittestgames.com/games.html w/fs). I had a hard time straightening up right after the workout, and was very sore throughout the whole right side of my back. The next day was better again, back to the normal "dull roar". So... I took last week off, got a good deep massage from a tui na practitioner, did some acupuncture, etc, both of which seemed to help a lot. However, over the course of several days, I'm right back to where I was.

I know that anything dealing with core stabilization can take a while to heal, because its never really fully resting. This is really getting frustrating, though - I can feel myself atrophy :O Everything else on my body stopped being sore quite a while ago (like, after 2 days of rest).

What's the experience been? How long does it take to heal up these sorts of injuries? Am I at a point where I need to start thinking about other things potentially being wrong? Or, do I go do more of the same treatment, and get in to see MT, etc, again?

Gaaaah.... I miss the gym
Old 04-14-2008, 08:25 AM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Low back pain - what else to do?

Depends what and where it is.... you didn't really provide specifics.

Lay off any exercise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you want to mess around with your back that's your deal but don't say you haven't been warned.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:43 AM   #3
Dave Re

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Depends what and where it is.... you didn't really provide specifics.
Sorry... low right back. I mostly feel it about 3" to the right of my spine and it seems to be about an inch to two inches wide. It feel worst in the area right above my right hip, extending upward about 5" or so. There's soreness buried in the right glute that's not there on the left side, and if I stretch it, I can feel it extend down into that area under the glute. Does that help isolate it a bit?

In the time before the layoff, I also did some trigger point on that area under the glute, and that seemed to help temporarily (couple of hours at a time) - of course, I was still working out during that time frame. I forgot to mention that, too.

Believe me, I don't want to screw with my back, man I just want this thing healed and done with so I can get back to it
Old 04-14-2008, 02:16 PM   #4
Adam Noble

Profile:

I have been dealing with something similar since Feb. 28th. Just this week I started getting back to any workouts with weight. Its still not 100%, but finally I am feeling improvement. Accupuncture really helped early on. Then it was a matter of forcing myself to rest.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:38 AM   #5
Dave Re

Profile:

In the couple of weeks since the last post, I had a workup done by a doc - no structural issues (we didn't do any imaging, though). Referred to a PT. PT and doc both think its strange that what appears (on the surface) to be a muscle strain hasn't healed. They both agree that it seems to be more of a facet joint irritation or an irriated annular fibrosus (ie, irritated disc). The thought is that its referring pain out to the spinal erectors, which is where my pain was occurring.

PT had me do a week of stretches, and has now added in some standard PT type exercises to strengthen/stabilize the area. So far so good, except that I'm damn sore in the obliques and hip flexors from the exercises (3.5 weeks off at that point.... so either these are real effective, or I got weak real quick...). The original pain has been replaced by just a slightly tight feeling, but most of my low back is now a little bit sore, esp. at max flexion - I've been advised to avoid bad postures, and bending straight over until this heals up, so obviously I haven't been doing that Just know it from the range of motion tests, etc.

Feels good to be doing something, anyway - anything that takes what feels like positive steps toward getting back in the game is good...
Old 05-02-2008, 06:47 AM   #6
Jay Cohen

Profile:

See what Coach Rip recommends:

http://************.net/forum/showthread.php?t=700

Link is w/f/s
Old 05-02-2008, 07:19 AM   #7
Dave Re

Profile:

You'll note he's talking about injured muscles, of course... We're way beyond that, now...

eta - didn't mean that to sound unappreciative

Last edited by Dave Re : 05-02-2008 at 07:49 AM.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:54 AM   #8
Shane Upchurch

Profile:

I had something very similar to what you are describing for about 2 years and only recently has it began to clear up. I had been to two PT's and now I go to the chiro. Finally, I found that my pain was due to an extremely tight/irritated psoas muscle. I now go to the chiro when it flares up and I stretch daily as well as some yoga moves that are supposed to help "release" the psoas. Its not completely gone but its much better and when I am careful(lots of stretching/warmup and good form) I can CrossFit as Rx'd. I'm just beginning to research this whole idea of releasing the psoas but it seems to be helping.
Old 05-03-2008, 12:20 AM   #9
Howard Wilcox

Profile:

+1 on the psoas.

It connects directly to the lower lumbar region and is easy to miss since it isn't an intuitive answer to lower back pain.

howard
Old 05-03-2008, 04:50 AM   #10
Ian Carver

Profile:

Shane - I have been in the same boat for the past year after a funky spasm last spring. Nothing I am doing as far as stretching, chiro, massage, etc. for the low back seems to help, so I'd be willing to try your psoas stretch if you wouldn't mind elaborating. Any instruction would be greatly appreciated.