CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-05-2008, 09:47 AM   #1
Jerid Krulish

Profile:
Modified Beginner Workout

With much respect to the Crossfit folks, I wasn't quite happy with the official "Beginner's" Workout. It does get a bit boring... none of the WOD fun. It also doesn't offer any chance to work on pullups - it's deadlift (and the similar squats) and pushpress... I thought that the pullup was important enough to include.

I took the "Men's Journal" workout (how I heard about Xfit) and incorperated it with the Crossfit Beginner's Workout. The idea is to set benchmarks (including Helen) to track progress now and forever. Pullups are included, and everything has been pushed up a bit for a slightly more athletic beginner.

Take a look and see what you think.
The link is on my Crossfit blog, on the right ("My Personalized Beginner's Workout")

Hope this might be helpful to some.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:48 AM   #2
Ashley Hibbitts

Profile:
Re: Modified Beginner Workout

I too started the Cross fit concept with the Men's Journal workouts. They were a perfect starting point. I think I did the 10 workouts maybe twice through, then just jumped into the WOD. I scale the weights and go for it.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:43 AM   #3
Robert Scarborough

Profile:

There is actually a reason Pull Ups were not included in the beginners workout.

This is from the CFJ that describes the begginers routine...
Quote:
We could have engineered a program that obviated the need for weights but this would have demanded considerably greater starting fitness in order to include pull-ups, dips, and other body weight exercises and yielded substantially less fitness in the end.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:59 PM   #4
Jerid Krulish

Profile:

Thanks Robert -

Yeah, I think my aims were a little different. I think the official version is great for "starting from a standstill." And the scaled WOD is great for people who are already athletic... and with the right coaching, people who aren't. But without rings, plyo boxes, medicine balls, kettlebells, or the training to safely perform snatches and c&j's, I thought this was a good balance.

Probably not for everyone, but hopefully useful to a few.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:15 PM   #5
Ron Haskins

Profile:

I generally start noobies with the CrossFit warmup, progress to the CFWU + beginners program and then on to scaled wod's. I can't remember the last person to go the entire length of the beginner's program before starting those scaled wod's though.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:50 PM   #6
Robert Scarborough

Profile:

I actually did the entire beginners workout. Yes, all 12 weeks! I had already been running quite a bit so it was kind of hard going back and starting from scratch but I think it really helped. Although it did get very tedious towards the end. I was so glad to get to the regular WODs and I have been actually enjoying them for two weeks now. The beginners routine helped me get used to working with the weights and introduced me to the olympic lifts. I am glad I had it to fall back on when I started the regular WODs.