CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 12-10-2007, 07:46 AM   #1
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

Gaining strength, metcon and size at the same time?

I've started CrossFit very recently and one thing I've come to notice is that my metcon is about the same as a 300lbs couch potato's. Probably because I've been doing ONLY 3x5 weight lifting for several months ala Starting Strength... but that's about to change.

I've laid out detailed goals I would like to reach before June of next year. Here's where I'm at and where I want to be (bold) by June 2008:

Body Weight: 71,0kg/80,0kg

Bench Press: 80kg(x5)/100kg
Back Squat: 120kg/130kg
Deadlift: 130kg/160kg

Clean and Jerk: 60kg/75kg
Snatch: 30kg/60kg
Overhead Squat: 42,5kg(x5)/70kg

Cindy: 10 rounds/20 rounds
Fran: 14:46/10:00
Helen: 29:53/15:00
Michael: 46:40/30:00
Linda: -/01:00:00

The thing with CrossFit is that with school, work and trying to have a life I don't really have the energy for the 3 on 1 off split so I was wondering what your views on a 2 on 1 off split are?

I was thinking metcon, strength, rest, rinse repeat.

Strength days I would also use to work on skills such as handstand push-ups (still trying to get more than three of those in a row), snatching, jerking et cetera.

Am I way off here and should just follow the CrossFit split as closely as I can or does this make sense to some of you keeping my goals in mind?
Old 12-10-2007, 07:58 AM   #2
Jay Hanewinkel

Profile:
Re: Gaining strength, metcon and size at the same time?

I've built a program based around principles from Joe DeFranco's WS4SB, SS, and CF. It's still a work in progress, but I've been doing it for about a month and a half since I designed it and the results have been outstanding in all areas. PM me if you'd like to try it out.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:36 AM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:

3/1/2/1 where 1 are rest is better if you can handle that. Works well with 7 day schedule or 5/2 if you prefer that. The frequency you're going to get with 2/1 (18 workouts per 27 days) is slightly lacking compared to 3/1 (21 workoouts per 28 days) and 5/2 (20 workouts per 28 days). Believe it or not if you can handle the volume the extra training does add up over the course of a year to an extra at least 20-30 workouts in which you can make significant progress (heck, that's like 2 months of Starting Strength if you were a beginner).

For 5/2 it's more or less ME/CF/ME/CF/ME/R/R or CF/ME/CF/ME/CF/R/R. With 3/1/2/1 it's just staggered a day. ME = max effort; so 2-4 lifts -- if you need a bit of periodization you can switch from week to week with 5-5-5s, 3-3-3s and then 1-1-1s.

HSPUs you can probably work in conjunction with jerks. One day do one and one day do the other. For skill training put it before working out.

Weight = +food
Old 12-11-2007, 10:54 AM   #4
David Stout

Profile:

Splitting the WODs to 2 on 1 off and balancing them with a 50/50 blend of me/metcon would be slightly disproportionate in my opinion.

Your first sentence in your post commented on your own current level of metcon. If you really want a 2 on 1 off cycle, perhaps a metcon/metcon/rest with a me/metcon/rest cycle would be better. The first cycle could include at least one metcon with a heavy load, and a metcon with less of a load or bodyweight only. The next cycle would be a me day and then a metcon without any loaded exercises.

Hope this helps.

David
CF Chattanooga
Old 12-11-2007, 11:53 AM   #5
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

I swear I replied to this thread earlier... Spam filter maybe? :S

Steven, you're right. 3/1/2/1 does sound better. I'd probably be doing ME/CF/ME/rest/ME/CF/rest every week, though and probably treating some of the ME days as active rest days.

The first CF is going to be a random metcon workout, with the second one cycling through the benchmarks I have an active goal for; Cindy, Fran, Michael, Helen, Linda. Starting with Cindy this Thursday.

I have a question about max effort, though, which has probably been asked before (but I can't seem to find the answer).

What exactly is max effort training? When I first heard about it I was under the impressions it was something along the lines of doing 1-1-1-1-1-1-1 reps of a certain exercise but I've learned that's wrong.

Is it going to failure on the last set? Is it going to failure on every set? How is it different from the Starting Strength programming? Is it the same weight through all the sets or gradually heavier weights throughout all the sets?

David, I'm just not sure I could take all that metcon. With school and work I just can't afford to be overdo the metcon. I'm not in a terrible hurry. I have long term goals I want to keep, yes, but I would rather reach them gradually than go too fast and burn out.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:18 PM   #6
David Stout

Profile:

Just remember that the metcons are relatively short lived and provide lots of time in between for recovery.

Remember also the CrossFit hierarchy see attached image.

Regarding the max effort days. These are generally programmed as a single lift performed for 1, 3, or 5 reps across 5 to 7 sets. The loads would generally be the max for that particular rep range. Starting Strength programming for the beginners generally includes 3 exercises performed for 3 sets of 5 reps three days a week.

Hope that helps,
David.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Training Pyramid.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	1097  
Old 12-11-2007, 12:35 PM   #7
Steven Low

Profile:

You did reply.. in this thread. I was wondering why (Wfs):
http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=24677

The 5-5-5s, 3-3-3s and 1-1-1s you see in CF are a fairly simple form of programming up to 5 RM, 3 RM, and 1 RM for the day. Basically warm up sets and then start with the first 2-3 singles working close to max and then maxing with the last 4-5 reps.

SS would be good if you've never done that before. It will balloon your core lifts up pretty quickly.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:42 PM   #8
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

Heh. That's what tabbed browsing can do to you.

Anyway, thanks. I guess I'm ready to give this a go.

Starting Strength, by the way, is basically the only thing I have done and strength gains from that are stalled.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:19 PM   #9
Franklin Shogie

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Júlíus Magnússon View Post
Heh. That's what tabbed browsing can do to you.

Anyway, thanks. I guess I'm ready to give this a go.

Starting Strength, by the way, is basically the only thing I have done and strength gains from that are stalled.

Júlíus, you might try reviewing this wfs link from stronglift.com about deloading to help you keep gaining strength.

http://stronglifts.com/overcoming-st...eloads/#deload