CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-14-2004, 05:30 PM   #221
Scott Parker

Profile:
kris-

congratulations!

scott
Old 03-16-2004, 12:26 PM   #222
Ross Burke

Profile:
I am not at all impressed by the 240 or whatever in an hour, i did did 185 in 35 minutes at the age of 14 with all different grips, close, wide, regular, and strict form, and my one set max at the time was only around 13. The next day I swam about 5 miles and wasn't sore at all in the upper body. However, I was by no measure fit, my max barbell olympic squat was probably around 90 lbs. at the time and I couldn't power clean a mere 80 lbs. Now i don't know if I could do all those pullups in an hour but my one set max is 17 and I can do a muscleup and power clean 170; I guess the point of this rambling post is that doing all those pullups in an hour isn't necessarily directly conducive to a high one set max, and pullups alone aren't even close to being a good test of all around fitness.
Old 03-16-2004, 01:09 PM   #223
Marvin Treadwell

Profile:  
Ross-you are one nasty little person! I think Kris did a good job. Just because you can do more, so what?

You don't think body weight exercises are a good test of overall strength? What do you suggest?
Old 03-16-2004, 04:00 PM   #224
Scott Parker

Profile:
hey ross-

you can do a muscle-up and 17 pull-ups...big deal!

my max set of pull-ups is 26, and i can do 63 muscle-ups in 20 minutes, and there are many others here that put my stats to shame...my point...who the heck cares! it dosen't matter!

personally, i think that pull-ups are one of MANY indicators of overall strength. to be honest, i hear a lot of people talk about pull-ups being meaningless, but it's usually from people who can't do many! for my discipline, which is climbing, pull-ups count for a lot, at least for me!

i thought it was kind of nasty to bash someone like you did, and to be honest that is probably the first negative comment i have actually read since joining this community. everyone is different here. we all have different disciplines and are built differently, with different goals. i only speak for myself, but think others will agree that there is no room here for an elitist attitude, and every bit of improvement, regardless if it is from the experienced, or the unfit newbie, deserves recognition and encouragement.

unless you have something positive to add you probably shouldn't post at all.

scott
Old 03-16-2004, 04:53 PM   #225
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
Scott - 63 in 20 MINUTES!?! That's frieking rediculous.
Old 03-16-2004, 04:54 PM   #226
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
Oh, and guys -

I don't think he was trying to bash anyone here, I think he was talking about the other guy, Sharkany.
Old 03-16-2004, 05:31 PM   #227
Scott Parker

Profile:
kevin-

honestly, it was hard to believe when i did it. check out march 9th's WOD.

when i started crossfit i couldn't even do 1. if it wasn't for the advice, encouragement, and support of everyone here, there is no way i could have gotten this far!

scott

Old 03-16-2004, 07:35 PM   #228
Jason Lauer

Profile:
Great picture Scott, where is that? I'm jealous.
Old 03-16-2004, 07:37 PM   #229
Kelly Moore

Profile:
Scott,

Great job on the muscleups! A great inspiration and challenge for me.

I'm getting set up so I can work MUs on a straight bar. When I run into the inevitable stumbling blocks, would you mind me sending you a few questions about the form? I'm still wondering how I get my hands above the bar. Do you pull explosively and kip?
Old 03-16-2004, 07:45 PM   #230
Ben Gimball

Profile:

Scott,

I am curious, do you find that your Pull-up total has gone up along with your muscle ups? I am wondering about the effect that they had.