CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 08-10-2007, 06:43 AM   #11
Henry Adderley

Profile:
Kevin -
That's a good running program - is it on your site?
Old 08-10-2007, 08:28 AM   #12
Brian Opdenkelder

Profile:
Hey, Michael;

Disclaimer: I am new to CrossFit, so I am still feeling out my limits, with regard to intensity. Once I hit my stride with the W.O.D., I may rethink the following.

I am currently using the recommended 3-on-1-off cycle.

On days 1 and 3, I am in the gym for an hour, max. I spend 15 - 20 mins warming up; 15 - 20 mins on focus work relevant to the day's W.O.D. (primarily technique practice); and 20 - 30 mins on the W.O.D. (or a scaled version thereof).

On day 2, I strictly limit my workout to 45 mins. I typically warm-up with a mile run, or 1000 m row (60 - 70% effort), and some random B.W. exercises. Then I select one movement (mostly the big powerlifts or O-lifts at this point), and work it at 80 - 100% effort.

I also train / teach martial arts (Bujinkan Ninjutsu & law-enforcement combatives) two evenings each week, which rounds out my training with a healthy dose of joint mobility, flexibility, agility, coordination, accuracy and other exercises.

Aside from those days where my MA class lands on my rest day, I've learned to honour the 3 / 1 schedule religiously. Rest day (day 4) is just that.

Even though I'm in the gym 5 - 7 days per week, I've only ever experienced symptoms of overtraining when I've pushed past the 45 - 60 minute workout duration, and tried to squeeze in a few extra sets.

Without knowing what kind of condition you're in, I would recommend that you be patient, and "listen" to your body. Wade into the shallow end of the intensity pool. As has been said a thousand times, CrossFit is incredibly potent, and must be eased into slowly.

Cheers!

Brian
Old 08-13-2007, 08:32 AM   #13
Michael J. Mueller

Profile:
Thank you all for your responses.
Can't wait to get started!

All the best