CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-11-2007, 02:51 AM   #1
Rob Pratten

Profile:
Hello. CF is completely new to me and I don't know where to start. Am I supposed to be on a regimen already?

I'm starting from couch potato status so I'm VERY excited to see what my results are going to be.

-Rob
Old 04-11-2007, 03:24 AM   #2
Robert Miller

Profile:
Hi Rob!

First, welcome aboard! Being excited about XFit counts for more than anything else.. Fitness and knowledge will come in time - don't sweat it if you run into a few hurdles at first.

As far as the routine goes, you may want to read the FAQ and the 'Start Here' links in detail before beginning. These links are a big resource for beginners and will probably answer some of your questions and give you a nice framework of what's to come.

Second, I would track down either the beginner's workout (posted in a XFit journal, I believe), or visit BrandX's site for the scaled down WOD's. You don't necessarily need to follow the posted WOD at first, but it certainly can be done (scaled, of course).

Next, I would march right over to Amazon.com and buy a copy of 'Starting Strength' by Mark Rippetoe. This book covers all of the major lifts in fine detail and will put you light-years ahead of other newbies while keeping you injury free. Trust me - you don't want to 'teach yourself' how to deadlift like I did.. Sore back for weeks! :-)

Anyway, I hope that helps. Best of luck!

Thanks!

Rob Miller
Springfield, PA
Old 04-11-2007, 08:00 AM   #3
Kevin McKay

Profile:
you can also check out www.simplefit.org for an ultra simplified start or Brand-X's Scaled WODs

Cheers
Old 04-11-2007, 02:42 PM   #4
Tom Brose

Profile:
Rob follow the excellent advice above. Subscribe to the CrossFit Journal. Read everything you can on the boards , especially this section. Give us some background info as well.

Come down to DC some time.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:03 PM   #5
Chris Sinagoga

Profile:
i started out doing just the warmup. it's a great workout in itself. then move on to the wod's when you feel you're ready
Old 04-12-2007, 03:26 AM   #6
Michael Manseau

Profile:
Rob,
Welcome aboard. Best thing you can do is find your nearest affiliate & get a class or two in.
And if your diet isn't squared away yet, have a look at the zone or paleo style of eating.
Keep us posted. Good luck
Old 04-12-2007, 09:27 AM   #7
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Rob,
Take up Tom on his offer. Nothing could help a new person more than a couple of hours with a Crossfit Trainer. I cannot tell you how many times we have seen people come in who have been doing the wod off the front page for awhile and yet do not have even the basic movements down correctly. Here is a link to the scaled workouts from the front page.
http://forum.brandxmartialarts.com/viewforum.php?f=16
Old 04-13-2007, 05:30 PM   #8
Mike Groth

Profile:
I am just starting crossfit and was in the same spot you are. I went to a crossfit trainer and signed up for a "fundamentals" course and it has been kicking my butt. After only a few courses Im already starting to see where my weaknesses are and what I will really need to work on. I would recommend going to a trainer and signing up if you have the opportunity.

Now I just need to buy CFJ 21 and work on getting my diet squared away as well. Ask questions here and read the FAQ and other posts you will start to learn a lot. Good Luck!
Old 04-15-2007, 02:10 AM   #9
Jay Cohen

Profile:
Rob;
Brew a very large pot of coffee, read/study/print everything on this site, better yet, order back issues of Crossfit along with subscribing, start to add basic gear to your garage, do the WOD EVERYDAY, stay active on the boards, eat breakfast, visit Dan John's site.
JM2C.
Jay