CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-09-2007, 11:17 AM   #1
Alain Latour

Profile:
Hi everyone,

I have been doing weights, circuit-training style and with even a few Olympic lifts thrown in, for at least 6 months (mostly following Alwyn Cosgrove and Zach Even Esh's ideas). It's not crossfit, but it's tougher and more functional than traditional bodybuilding.

My question is, since I'm not as "unfit" as a total newbie, whether mixing up both the Beginner routine on May '03's journal with the one on simplefit.or.makes sense. It would look like this:

On Monday (this workout is from the journal):
Deadlift X 12
Run 400 m
Deadlift X 12
Run 400 m
Deadlift X 12

On Wednesday the deadlift is replaced by the push press, and on Friday's by the squat. On Tuesdays and Thursdays you're supposed to run 400 m X2, but this is where I'm hoping to do simplefit's workouts, as I think doing pushups and pullups would be better for my level than just running 400 m.

The simplefit workout I'd begin with is:
Tuesday
max rounds in 20 min
2 pull-ups
3 push-ups
5 squats

Thursday
5 rounds for time
3 pull-ups
10 push-ups
16 squats

And then next tuesday:
for time
16 pull-ups
33 push-ups
33 squats

Then I begin again the cycle. Basically Monday and Wednesdays and FRidays are the same and I'd rotate simplefit's workouts Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Sorry for just a long post. I'd just like to know if it makes sense to you guys.

Thanks a lot!
Old 04-09-2007, 02:38 PM   #2
Luke Hope

Profile:
Why don't you just start Crossfit at low intensity, using the BrandX scaling (link from FAQ)? That's what I did two weeks ago.

Once you're started, there's no rush to get up to fully as rx'd, but at least you've started!
Old 04-09-2007, 05:08 PM   #3
David Wood

Profile:

Hi Alain:

Not sure what your objectives are. The workout program you described looks fine to me (assuming that you're fit enough to do those workouts M - F). They'll certainly get you in reasonably good shape, if that's your primary goal.

But, if you're fit enough to do that as you describe, I would estimate that you're also likely fit enough to do the BrandX scales workouts (as Luke suggested).

If your objective is to progress to doing CrossFit WOD's "as Rx'd", then that will probably get you there a bit quicker . . . and be more fun, too, I think (greater variety of stuff, certainly).

Old 04-09-2007, 05:57 PM   #4
Alain Latour

Profile:
Thanks for the feedback. The main reason why I didn't settle for BrandX's WODs is that for the next couple of weeks I'll have very limited access to the internet. I thought having something down on paper that I could refer to would make my life easier. I think I'll do the workout I posted for a short while, then switch to BrandX. Thanks!
Old 04-09-2007, 08:32 PM   #5
Bryan Gollhofer

Profile:
Alain,

Why not just skip back a couple of weeks on BrandX's wod's, write it down and take it with you? That way you can get into it right away! Have fun with it and good luck.

Old 04-09-2007, 10:47 PM   #6
Alain Latour

Profile:
Cool motto Bryan. Thanks for the tip .