CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 10-10-2005, 07:09 AM   #1
Stephen Thrasher

Profile:  
What was supposed to be a half-hour trail run turned into a hard two-hour run and an overnight stay in 47-degree weather and constant rain. I was wearing a light athletic T-shirt and shorts and could only find a stone wall for shelter. After a search dog and I ran into each other in the morning, the doctor said I fared so well because I was so fit. He told me to drink lots of water to flush any creatine kinase from my kidneys. I asked if this was related to rhabdomyolysis, and he said yes and that weekend warriors would get rhabdo if they did what I did. Besides a few sore muscles, which I'm used to now, I'm fine.

I credit CrossFit for my physical well-being and for the ability to endure hardship for long amounts of time. Thanks to all you search and rescue folks out there.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:27 AM   #2
Tim Weaver

Profile:
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/armym.../arfm32526.htm

Army Field Manual 3-25.26 -- Land Navigation

:-)

Glad you are safe and sound.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:00 AM   #3
Brian McCarrie

Profile:
Damn dude, glad you're ok. I've got a Garmin GPS watch. http://www.garmin.com/products/forerunner201/

You can set a flag at the coordinates of your car and you'll always know how far from it you are. You can also view a map or your run and many other neat little features like pace and extimated calories burned. It will store up to 2 years of runs.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:07 PM   #4
Stephen Thrasher

Profile:  
Thanks guys. I wish I could blame it on something else, but my lack of common sense played the strongest part. As an Eagle Scout who owns a GPS and has done a lot of hiking, this is embarrassing. I'm glad I came out in good condition (thanks again CrossFit), but I sure do feel irresponsible for causing such a hassle, more so after a couple of days of reflection.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:35 PM   #5
Tim Weaver

Profile:
OK...I'll ask the question on everyone's mind but they're too polite to ask:

Just how DID you turn a 1/2 hour trail run into a full-on SAR mission?
Old 10-12-2005, 06:45 PM   #6
Stephen Thrasher

Profile:  
By not turning back when it should have been obvious that I had run onto unmarked trails that didn't match the map. I started out running around a 3 or 4-mile loop that on the map looked like all trail (squiggly lines all of the same color), so when I came to a road after a mile, I crossed it instead of turning onto it. I ran 45 minutes out, backtracking a bit when I started to get uneasy, then backtracking all the way back to the road. When I got there, I was 20 minutes from camp but 10 minutes to darkness. In my haste and tiredness, I missed a turn. I hate carrying things when I run, so I had no flashlight or whistle. I didn't mark or block the trail when I found shelter a few meters away. A few dollars and ounces of preparation would have gotten me out of there in minutes, and a little more thought could have gotten me out of there in hours. At least I had told someone where I was going and when I planned to be back. I ran into a search team on Sunday morning while walking back to camp.

On Sunday and Monday, it seemed like it was all an adventure. After reflecting on it, I caused a lot of people worry, time, and money, and it has taken a bigger toll on my mental well-being than I thought it would. I apologize for the undercurrent of bravado in my first post. Whether I'm fit or not, I can't consider myself somehow better than a "weekend warrior." I am a weekend warrior. Needless to say, next time I'll be equipped and alert, and I'll have a better plan. At least CrossFit helped spare me from physical harm.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:12 PM   #7
Tim Weaver

Profile:
There are lessons to be learned here for all us outdoors types...it can happen to you.

Luckily you had the sense to stay put for the night...too many folks will try and work their way out even in the dark and end up a casualty or, worse, a statistic.

Glad you're OK!
Old 10-13-2005, 10:00 AM   #8
Don Woodson

Profile:
I don't have to worry about getting lost in the little section of woods I run it. It's all surrounded by roads and I know all of them. But I usually run with a hydration pack, and in it I always carry a fire kit of some sort. The cheapest, easiest, and most effective one for me is a few waterproof strike anywhere matches, and three or four cotton balls saturated with petroleum jelly, packed into a small plastic tube. Very light weight, and takes little space. Won't even notice it if you have it in a pocket. The cotton balls will burn long enough to light damp twigs and leaves pretty good. But if there are cedar trees around, shredded cedar bark burns real well when wet too.
Gotta have my fire. Cold wet nights really do suck.
Glad you're OK Stephan. Can happen to anyone. If you'd had that stone wall AND a fire, you'd have been comfy cozy.
Old 11-20-2005, 05:56 PM   #9
Rob McBee

Profile:
Man Stephen, glad you came through that ok. Most people die in that same situation because they just panic. Way to stay cool, literally and figuratively.