CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 05-25-2005, 05:11 PM   #21
Steve Seckinger

Profile:
Since we're all about open confessions, mine are boots & shoes. Seem to accumulate tons of them. Oakley boots or the new 5.11 boots are next. Since I already have most of the watches listed in the posts above, why not!
Old 05-26-2005, 05:00 AM   #22
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Did I mention jackets...love the soft shells (you folks in the warm areas need not listen).
Old 05-26-2005, 08:07 AM   #23
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Steve - One of the difficulties of my job in training is that I keep having to give Bill, the training sergeant, my shirt, pant and boot sizes as he keeps buying us stuff. We already had some Oakley boots so he went after the 5.11's. When his pair came in he tried them on and he found that they pinched his ankles, or instep...I don't remember what, but they did not fit right or feel comfortable. We got some more Oakley's instead and the newer models have a less bulbous look where the sole wraps around the boot. I have Danners, Hi-Tech, Addidas GSG9's and of course a variety of military boots. The Oakley's are by far the best...when it's not pouring rain. They are not waterproof. When that is an issue I wear my Danners.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:52 AM   #24
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
Did I mention jackets...love the soft shells

Mmmm...soft shells...
Old 05-26-2005, 05:38 PM   #25
Steve Seckinger

Profile:
Soft shells = Cloudveil. Great for climbing and skiing. Very popular in the Rocky Mtn. states.

For boots, even Converse has an "assault" boot now. May seek that one out. The Oakley's are just too much, unless I finagle a gov't discount.
Old 05-26-2005, 05:42 PM   #26
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
I've got a Mountain Hardware Alchemy that I absolutely adore. It's so awesome.
Old 05-26-2005, 06:20 PM   #27
Tyler Hass

Profile:
I like my Oakley M frames a lot. Great for practicing handstands outdoors on sunny days. They never slip or come close to falling off. They're also the only glasses that worked for me for tennis. Cheaper glasses messed up my vision, just slightly, but enough to effect my game.
As for watches, I'm a Seiko guy. I've never had to change a watch battery in my life, but I still rest more comfortably knowing that my kinetic watch will never need one.
And of course black Adidas shorts. I'm down to about three pairs and I haven't seen them in stores in probably 3 years. I might need to special order them or send a sample to Thailand to get a production run going.

Tyler
ps. Outsiders must wonder about us...
Old 05-26-2005, 06:33 PM   #28
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
Ich bein ein auslander...and I'm good with that.

If the mainstream is typical GloboGym, pseudo-bodybuilder, "I'll just shuffle along on the elliptical for 30 minutes"-type living...I'm happy to not be with the in crowd.

Speaking of our habits of over-collecting, I really need to thin out my collection of running/training shoes.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:04 PM   #29
Don Stevenson

Profile:
In our house the obsession is bikes and bike parts.

My girlfriend has 4 bikes and I was up to 4 before i sold a couple. Our entire living room is full of bike bits, shoes, helmets, wheels, tyres etc.

On a wierder note we have a friend who has a thing for torches. We went on a night hike a few weeks ago and this guy brought enough torches for each person (7 people) to have a main light and a back up. He carries at leat two torches EVERYWHERE he goes and his main hobby seems to be buying and selling torches on ebay.

He is a prison guard, that might have something to do with it.
Old 05-27-2005, 05:09 AM   #30
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Funny how similar minds have similar obsessions. When I was really hitting the rock climbing hard, and I was farily poor, my climbing partner was obsessed with quality (which usually equated to expensive). He made some great points about your life depending on cheap gear, blah, blah, blah (you've heard it all before). Since that time I always look for quality over price.