CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-21-2007, 10:15 AM   #1
Steve Sheffar

Profile:
I have been crossfitting for 7 months and I eat zone. I started at 5'10" 196lbs 24%BF. I now am 171lbs at 12% BF (still 5'10").

My question is how much of this weight loss is fat and how much is muscle? I would like to start and gain some muscle now. I am worried that simply eating more will result in fat gains not muscle. Putting me back to where I was 7 months ago. Would I increase my fat blocks or should I increase total blocks? Also would I increase the weights with the WODs?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:30 AM   #2
Kevin McKay

Profile:
Allot of people say IF is good for adding muscle but not fat, the PM has some good info on it.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:01 PM   #3
Darren Zega

Profile:  
Steve,

How's your strength? Are you stronger and more enduring now than before you started the zone? If so, does it really matter if you're losing muscle mass but gaining in every category that functions?
Old 07-21-2007, 05:18 PM   #4

Profile:

assuming those numbers are accurate, just do the math:

before
47 lb fat / 149 lb LBM

after
20.5 lb fat / 150.5 LBM

So if the measurements are accurate (questionable), you actually gained over a lb of muscle while losing about 27 lbs of fat. pretty good ratio.

if you're at the base zone, you can try adding fat. start conservatively with 2X fat (just double the fat at each meal). see what happens after 2 weeks and readjust. if you're not remaining lean, do 2X fat only at some of your meals. if you're not gaining, add more fat.

and you can always ditch the zone ratios and up the protein along with the fat. the zone is by design pretty low protein (and extremely low calorie).

as kevin said, tons of info at the Performance Menu on this issue.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:11 PM   #5
Steve Sheffar

Profile:
I understand the questionalbe portion of your comment. I am not too sure myself. I had both measurements with ultrasound and at the same place with the same scales. Not the same person which I know is a recommended practice. I feel great and I know I could/should do better measuring of my meals. I have gotten this far I just want to get to the next "level".

I will try the 2x fat and see what happens. Then I will try upping the protein as well.

Thank you