CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-01-2011, 04:52 PM   #1
Troy Kenshin

Profile:
CFFB (Crossfit football) question

I'm looking to get stronger/ stay lean and I've been thinking about trying cffb. but here are my questions/coments/concerns etc

1) i work out in a gym so i can't do the sprints(gassers) etc. what can i sub for these? (especially when it calls for barbell moves +sprints... can't do both)
2) there are to many off days ... what can i do on these days?
3) how do you stay lean with so many off days etc?
Old 10-01-2011, 04:55 PM   #2
Joffray Marcantel

Profile:
Re: CFFB (Crossfit football) question

I believe it follows a 3 on 1 off schedule, so that's 2 days off every 7 days. For the sprints you could buy an AirDyne or C2. Click the nutrition link at the top of the CFFB site for "how to stay lean"

Also, in before "you're gonna wish the days off would come sooner" or any of its variants
Old 10-01-2011, 04:59 PM   #3
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Kenshin View Post
I'm looking to get stronger/ stay lean and I've been thinking about trying cffb. but here are my questions/coments/concerns etc

1) i work out in a gym so i can't do the sprints(gassers) etc. what can i sub for these? (especially when it calls for barbell moves +sprints... can't do both)
1. Go outside to sprint or just do it on a treadmill and make due.
2. Are you sure you checked out the right site? You only get one day completely off, Wednesdays and Saturdays are metcons with no strength portion (if following the Off season workouts). Rest on your off days, you build muscle when resting, not when working out. If you follow the amatuer strength WODs then you will welcome the off days once it gets heavy. It's alot to recover from, and you have to make sure your sleeping and eating enough or you'll burn out.
3. Eat good whole food for the most part and you'll be fine.

What are your current stats and what are you looking to get to?
Old 10-01-2011, 07:51 PM   #4
Milton Brisson

Profile:

Quote:

1) When I did CFFB, I also did it at a globo, I used double-unders as my sprint sub. Beter than treadmills or rowers because you can right to it.
2) The SWoDs on CFFB are always Mon., tues., Thurs., Fri.. Wednesday is always rest, and there is usually a DWoD on Saturday. So really only 2 days off per week - pretty much perfect for recovery.
3)You can always skip an SWoD every now and then - you likely wont need to eat as much if you are dedicating less time to raw strength (that may defeat the point of doing CFFB, though). Other than that, keep diet as clean as you can.

Ive spent most of the last year on CFFB (that and the 70s big template - which is VERY similar to the Ameture program on CFFB), so I can say that it is a fantastic program!
Old 10-02-2011, 08:42 AM   #5
Jay Mulder

Profile:

All I can suggest is stick to the program as closely as you can. Regardless if your not sore, and don't want to rest. If CFFB says rest, then rest. If you do not follow the program as closely as possible, you aren't doing CFFB. Try it for at least a month, then reevaluate. Or just don't do CFFB and do your own strength/speed program grabbing from CFFB.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:49 AM   #6
Struan Potter

Profile:

My advice is to pick a programme, and stick to it for at least 3 months.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:53 AM   #7
Frances Ballesteros

Profile:

Quote:

Okay, are you doing in-season or off-season? In off-season we only have two rest days a week. That's just about enough given the amount of work we do on our active days.

1) Burpees, double unders, etc. You could also go outside and sprint. I usually sub 23 burpees or 50 double unders for a gasser.
2) Two rest days is not too many in my opinion.
3) You could eat less carbs, but you still need to eat big in order to recover.

The best advice anyone could give you is to follow the program as prescribed, and don't add other stuff to it. It will only mess up with your recovery, and you won't make the gains expected from such a great prorgram.

You should also post some videos on this forum so others can give you advice on form and things like that. The ideal thing would be to get a coach who can teach you the lifts, specially power cleans and power snatches.
Also read http://talktomejohnnie.com/ (wfs). It has some great info.

Remember to do mobility work and stretching pre- and post workout, and whenever you can

Good luck with whatever you do, but CFFB is highly recommendable. John does a great job with the programming.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:01 AM   #8
Brendan McNamar

Profile:
Re: CFFB (CrossFit football) question

Quote:
Have you shopped for a different gym?

I'm not saying a CrossFit gym, but simply one that has a more friendly layout. A door close to the outside near the free weights, a basketball court that doesn't get used much?

I built sleds out of old tires total cost about $15 each. Through it in the trunk of the car and use the sidewalk outside the gym.