CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 10-04-2010, 06:26 AM   #1
Allen Tluczek

Profile:
Brand new Vinyl convert, recommendations?

I searched in hopes of resurrecting an old thread because it would be fitting, but no luck...

Are there any vinly lovers here? With my favorite band, CAKE, pushing the release of their new album on either vinyl or digital, I decided it was time for me to all out dork out on the old school. Which means I need a player, and some recommendations for how to go about building a collection of records. I've found a local record store in Grand Rapids, and I know of a pretty good one in East Lansing, but has anyone tried ordering them online? What is a good, solid, but inexpensive entry-level record player? Is it accpetable to call them turntables? Any recommendations on bands still (or newly) pushing vinyl?
Old 10-04-2010, 07:51 AM   #2
Kris Fischer

Profile:
Re: Brand new Vinyl convert, recommendations?

I've got a Crosley (similar to this) (WFS) and it is fine as an entry level stand alone piece. If you already have a sound system there are plenty of options too - i'm sure some audiophiles will chime in with the higher end stuff.

One thing I have really liked about buying vinyl is that many albums now come with a download card so you get it in digital form as well.

Last edited by Kris Fischer : 10-04-2010 at 07:53 AM. Reason: add WFS
Old 10-04-2010, 08:05 AM   #3
Allen Tluczek

Profile:

I've got a "system" of sorts- an older pioneer reciever and two Sony 8" three way floor speakers that I got for $25 new after discount and gift cards.

I'm basically looking for a stand-alone player, something like this Audio Technica. It is under $100, and parts can easily be swapped out to upgrade the sound if I want.

Last edited by Allen Tluczek : 10-04-2010 at 08:08 AM.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:53 AM   #4
Kurt Armbruster

Profile:

Depending on one's level of Geek, there's always this one:

http://www.geek.com/articles/gadgets...ayer-20090818/
WFS
Old 10-04-2010, 08:59 AM   #5
Meghan Reid

Profile:

I have an old turntable that belonged to my dad. My mom was about to throw it out! I also started my collection with the boxes and boxes of albums that were gathering dust in my parent's garage. Some really good stuff in there. The fiance and i just poke through boxes of records whenever we see them (the used ones at music stores and such) and pick up ones that look cool.

My dad also had bought a gizmo to convert albums to digital by hooking up a laptop to the record player and ripping the albums. Haven't tried it yet, don't really see a need. I think his ultimate goal was to get rid of all the albums once they were converted to digital.

So my advice is...dig through your parent's basement.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:02 AM   #6
Kevin Shaughnessy

Profile:

NM, distro no longer exists.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:38 AM   #7
Allen Tluczek

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Armbruster View Post
Depending on one's level of Geek, there's always this one:

http://www.geek.com/articles/gadgets...ayer-20090818/
WFS
Close to that level but on a different stat tree. I put all my stat points into video games and "Trying to pass as a normal/outdoorsey guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghan Waldeck View Post
So my advice is...dig through your parent's basement.
My parents are not exactly music "types." They both drifted strongly in a direction not allowed to be discussed on this board, and got rid of all their old music, which is a shame since some of the stuff they said they used to have will probably end up in my new collection.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:37 PM   #8
Jon Harvey

Profile:

I recommend musicdirect.com (wfs); they have audiophile stuff, as well as entry level. Best recommendation I can give: get a decent cartridge/stylus, beats any money spent on a turntable.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:35 PM   #9
Adrian Bozman

Profile:

I just got one of these (http://www.numark.com/ttusb -WFS) for my birthday. Cost about $150 at the independent record store in my neighborhood. Sounds great, easy to plug-in to an existing stereo (I have my plugged in to my DVD/surround sound system and it hauls ***!) and it has a USB-out so you can digitize your vinyl into MP3 or itunes.

As far as finding Vinyl, it's pretty easy these days. Hell, you can get tons of albums on amazon or ebay. Most bands that offer their releases on vinyl will have links to distributors/stores that carry their stuff on their website.

You could also try:
http://www.amoeba.com/music-mail-order/index.html - WFS. Biggest independent music store around and they have TONS of vinyl. I've never used their mail-order store before, but I've always been satisfited with my purchases there.

Have fun!
-Boz
Old 10-05-2010, 05:14 PM   #10
David Sailor

Profile:

I picked up a Technics 1200 off eBay. They have been around a long time and used initially by DJ's. They are rock solid and set up well. Check Craigslist, even in NH there were plenty available. The one I got was just the nicest of the bunch I saw at the time.

Here's a link to VinylEngine, a site for turntables and vinyl, WFS with some info on the 1200:

http://www.vinylengine.com/library/t.../sl-1200.shtml