CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 06-26-2010, 01:07 PM   #1
Ryan T Ault

Profile:
Army ROTC / Crossfit in college

I just graduated high school and i will be attending North Georgia College and State University, N. Ga is a senior military college so my free time will be minimal. Right now my life revolves around crossfit and my local gym so working out is easy for me to do on a daily basis. I will be living in barracks on campus and I plan on taking my 53# kettlebell and using pullup bars outside to continue my training. I do not think that the pt program is tough enough at its basics and I plan on trying out for the Ranger Challenge team. The campus gym does not allow any oly lifting so thats gonna be a problem. I found a local affiliate but i am not sure how easily a 1st year cadet can leave campus everyday. Does anyone else have experiences with military school, crossfit, and staying in shape without failing classes?
Thanks
Old 06-27-2010, 07:15 AM   #2
Nic Kirkland

Profile:
Re: Army ROTC / Crossfit in college

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan T Ault View Post
I just graduated high school and i will be attending North Georgia College and State University, N. Ga is a senior military college so my free time will be minimal. Right now my life revolves around crossfit and my local gym so working out is easy for me to do on a daily basis. I will be living in barracks on campus and I plan on taking my 53# kettlebell and using pullup bars outside to continue my training. I do not think that the pt program is tough enough at its basics and I plan on trying out for the Ranger Challenge team. The campus gym does not allow any oly lifting so thats gonna be a problem. I found a local affiliate but i am not sure how easily a 1st year cadet can leave campus everyday. Does anyone else have experiences with military school, crossfit, and staying in shape without failing classes?
Thanks
I just graduated/commissioned, although I went to a civillian college. First and foremost, especially for Ranger Challenge, maxing your OML, and getting extra training opportunities in ROTC (Airborne, Air Assault, etc...), make sure you can max your PT test.

As far as workouts go, how many days/week will you be doing PT? I would imagine that you will have Ranger Challenge at least 5 if not 6 days/week. I did CrossFit with 2 of my ROTC buddies while in college. We also did Ranger Challenge in the fall. Basically we'd workout together M, Tu, Th, and F afternoon/evening in addition to PT 3 days/week. Back when Ranger Challenge was going on we'd still hit it up several days/week. I'm sure there's some guys who will be into CrossFit at NG. Getting into a little group helps a lot.

I'd take it easy until Ranger Challenge is over. College, ROTC, and RC is a lot to throw at a freshman. Remember, GPA is 50% of your OML score, way more significant than any other factor.

If you've got a KB and access to pull up bars that's a great start. Next pick out a course that's approximately 400 m near those pull up bars and you're good to go.

My advice is to do some quick workouts a 3-4 times/week. You'll be getting plenty of long, aerobic efforts from ROTC training, so keep your metcons to intense and under 10 minutes. AMRAP in 7 or 10 of various combinations of KB swings, burpees, pull ups, sprints, double unders are all good formats. Also make sure you get under a barbell at least once a week as strength is the first thing that's going to go doing Army training. (Army Strong? I think not.) CFSB programming works well. Do a barbell lift for 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps then a quick metcon.

If you have any questions about CF, ROTC, or the Army, feel free to shoot me a PM.
Old 06-27-2010, 04:41 PM   #3
Ryan T Ault

Profile:

Thanks, i appreciate that.
I am really bummed about the no oly lifting in the gym cuz i live for that stuff. We got plenty of places to run (campus is built around a drill field which has a road all the way around it) so with the hills and stairs I can get pretty intense workouts.
What is CFCB?
Also, I want to do to AB and AA school as a cadet, if I max my PT test and keep good grades what else can I do to be ranked higher to recieve a slot?
Old 06-27-2010, 06:54 PM   #4
Nic Kirkland

Profile:

Quote:
Thanks, i appreciate that.
I am really bummed about the no oly lifting in the gym cuz i live for that stuff. We got plenty of places to run (campus is built around a drill field which has a road all the way around it) so with the hills and stairs I can get pretty intense workouts.
What is CFCB?
Also, I want to do to AB and AA school as a cadet, if I max my PT test and keep good grades what else can I do to be ranked higher to recieve a slot?
My sister went to NGCSU, so I'm familiar with the campus. Very nice area. I wish we had that kind of terrain where I went to school. Indiana was very flat.

CFSB- CrossFit Strength Bias.

http://journal.crossfit.com/2009/02/...ength-bias.tpl WFS.

Basically you do a barbell lift- back squat, deadlift, front squat, shoulder press before a short WOD (<10 minutes). CrossFit Football (www.crossfitfootball.com WFS) is a similar program you might look at adapting to your capabilities.

As far as ranking, get to know your cadre. I know it's a big program up there, but being involved in things like Ranger Challenge, Color Guard, other voluntary activities. Distinguish yourself in your military science classes- ask questions, pay attention, but don't be a suck up. Do at least some token community service and participation in extracurriculars each year, including getting in an elected leadership position in a club/activity, even if it's Deputy Secretary for Basket Acquisitions for the school Underwater Basket Weaving Club. Never sandbag it or mail it in for a ROTC event, but don't **** off your peers by being a spotlight ranger. Just be a good student and soak everything up your freshman year, then start applying it and passing it along 2nd year and beyond.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:29 PM   #5
Ryan T Ault

Profile:

I was planning on doing WODs that involve bodyweight/running/Kbs as much as possible. My dad is currently deployed and he does not always have time to do crossfit everyday so he just does a KB workout, RKC, usually. I will probally just end up with a xfit/pt/KB blend.
I would like to turn the company pt towards crossfit at the squad level, any experience in trying to make that happen?
What is sandbaging/mailing in? and im assuming a spotlight ranger would be a showoff?
Do you have any basic advice for new cadets?
Yeah im planning on either RC or the Service Rifle and Pistol Team, I want to be as involved as possible. My goal is to hopefully branch infantry.

What branch did you get by the way?
Old 06-28-2010, 02:36 PM   #6
Nic Kirkland

Profile:

Quote:
I was planning on doing WODs that involve bodyweight/running/Kbs as much as possible. My dad is currently deployed and he does not always have time to do crossfit everyday so he just does a KB workout, RKC, usually. I will probally just end up with a xfit/pt/KB blend.
I would like to turn the company pt towards crossfit at the squad level, any experience in trying to make that happen?
What is sandbaging/mailing in? and im assuming a spotlight ranger would be a showoff?
Do you have any basic advice for new cadets?
Yeah im planning on either RC or the Service Rifle and Pistol Team, I want to be as involved as possible. My goal is to hopefully branch infantry.

What branch did you get by the way?
Hah, I have some experience bringing CrossFit into our ROTC unit. Not all of it positive, but plenty of good learning. I did it when I was a senior and the cadre said "Someone come up with a PT plan." Golden opportunity and everyone was happy, but eventually the cadre got frustrated by the fact that we had a bunch of lard-bottoms who didn't do anything the other 4 days of the week (we only PT'd 3 days/week) and sucked at running, and they blamed the CrossFit we were doing 2 days/week. It's a long story, if you have specific questions, I can answer those. Basically our equipment was a bunch of PVC and our gym had about 12 barbells, so we did lots of things that required rotations and low-weight high rep movements. Thrusters and SDHP's were our favorite things to do with the bars. Lots of burpees, sprints, and pull ups. Being creative was a fun challenge.

Sandbagging it/mailing it in just means giving your minimal effort, showing you barely care.

Spotlight ranger is someone who is a high-speed, low-drag, teflon-coated, rocket-propelled cadet/soldier when someone important is looking, but otherwise is just your run of the mill Blue Falcon (google it). Don't be a Blue Falcon.

Everything I said. Pay attention to everything your first year. Hopefully at NG they let you participate in STX (Situational Tactical Exercises) lanes as a MS I so you can see what a good OPORD (Operations Order) looks like and what a bad one looks like. Emulate the good and learn from the bad. I know it gets real boring and repetitive, but soak it all up and constantly learn.

I ended up branching Aviation, very happy with that. CTLT (Cadet Troop Leadership Training) was a great opportunity. That's something you can do summer after your MS III year in conjunction with LDAC. Basically you go to a unit somewhere in the real Army (CONUS and OCONUS) and shadow/intern under a platoon leader for 3 weeks. I was with an armor company, but my LT hooked me up and got me over with the aviation unit in the regiment for a few days and that was enough to sell me that that was where I belong and not in armor. So, MS III year, beg, borrow, or steal to go to CTLT. I had a pretty good exeperience, but I do know some people for whom it was not all that great. Just like most other things in life, you only get out of it what you put into it. Half-*** everything and you'll get a half-assed experience.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:16 PM   #7
Ryan T Ault

Profile:

haha Yeah my Dad is actually avn and he had a few guys do CTLT with his unit, I got to do PT with them and it was so obvious who was serious and who wanted to learn as opposed to the ones that were half assing.

Yeah my basic plan is to go into ROTC as the someone who shuts up, does more than is expected at all times, does not act like a dumbass, and keeps his grades up.

I appreciate your advice, If i think of any specific questions regarding workouts, rotc, or the Army in general ill PM you.
thanks again,

btw-

Do you know what unit you are headed to after flight school?
Old 06-28-2010, 06:17 PM   #8
Nic Kirkland

Profile:

Quote:
Do you know what unit you are headed to after flight school?
No, I don't find that out until close to the end, as it will depend on what airframe I get and when I end up graduating.