CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 08-13-2009, 12:42 AM   #1
Patrick Poblocki

Profile:
8 foot ceiling limitation

So, I'm shopping around trying to start my very own garage gym. I've been working out at a Globo Gym, so I've never used rings. Is there any way to set up rings with only an 8 ft ceiling in a productive way? Ideally, I'd love to start working on muscle ups (I've never tried), but I'm afraid I don't have the space. I'm 5' 7''. I'm also concerned I won't be able to go to full extension overhead. So I'm not sure what I'll do for barbells and shoulder presses. Does anyone else have this problem? Solutions?

Thanks,

Patrick
Old 08-13-2009, 12:56 AM   #2
John S Park

Profile:
Re: 8 foot ceiling limitation

my ceiling is maybe 8ft (96 inches) or a little taller and i have a good amount of room with a barbell in full extension overhead (i'm 5'8)

as for rings, you will probably have to hang them lower and do muscle ups from your knees. maybe you can find a tree outside or at a park to practice them.

my power rack is 82" i think. I have it under the garage door. When I open the garage, it barely goes over the rack at maybe 85-86". PLENTY of space when the garage is closed.

When I do a shoulder press with 45 plates, I can almost lock out at full extension inside the power rack, so there will be a good amount of space for that.

I have my rings in my garage for dips/push-ups. I have a tree in my front yard that has a perfect branch hanging out where I can hang the rings and do muscle ups.

Last edited by John S Park : 08-13-2009 at 12:58 AM.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:34 PM   #3
Peter Keller

Profile:

I have 8 foot ceilings in my garage and a pretty well-stocked garage gym. I have no trouble locking out a barbell with 45#'s overhead. I don't do muscle-ups in the garage, but I have a StudBar pullup bar mounted to the ceiling, with the bar at the 14" slot, and my rings hung off the StudBar.

I don't work muscle-ups, but I believe they can be done with the StudBar and rings hung off them- you would have to start from your knees, though.

Just a quick note- the StudBar shipped fast and now that it's installed, it is rock-solid.

I am going to write a blog post on installation and use, but here is a link with a pic of the main box of the StudBar Pullup Bar. WFS
Old 08-13-2009, 12:36 PM   #4
John S Park

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Keller View Post
I have 8 foot ceilings in my garage and a pretty well-stocked garage gym. I have no trouble locking out a barbell with 45#'s overhead. I don't do muscle-ups in the garage, but I have a StudBar pullup bar mounted to the ceiling, with the bar at the 14" slot, and my rings hung off the StudBar.

I don't work muscle-ups, but I believe they can be done with the StudBar and rings hung off them- you would have to start from your knees, though.

Just a quick note- the StudBar shipped fast and now that it's installed, it is rock-solid.

I am going to write a blog post on installation and use, but here is a link with a pic of the main box of the StudBar Pullup Bar. WFS
i have the same set-up. hanging my rings from the pull-up bar. it's really wide so there is a lot of space
Old 08-13-2009, 11:09 PM   #5
Christian Salas

Profile:

I have a ~7'6" ceiling and I'm 6' tall. I can do snatches, but not jerks. So consider yourself lucky
Old 08-14-2009, 08:10 AM   #6
Patrick Poblocki

Profile:

Thanks guys! I made a mistake, though! After measuring, I found my ceiling to be 7' 6" (oh boy). I'm still only 5' 7", so maybe I can make it work...thanks for all the input.

Patrick
Old 08-14-2009, 11:47 AM   #7
Jeffrey Crawford

Profile:

I have an 8ft ceiling and am 6'1 ish...I have rings that i use for dips and pullups and have no trouble locking out a jerk with 45s on. No muscleups though....At your height you may be able to get close...not sure