CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-05-2009, 12:46 AM   #11
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Re: Perfectly Safe isn't perfectly ineffective

No, I did not intimate that she was, just many aiki people are as the soft arts tend to crossover a lot in the states. Where there is aiki, there is yoga or taichi and sometimes, gods forbid they are into JSA. The higher-ups are usually ok but the mudansha make me want to hit myself with a bokken. Heavens forbid they go to the floor and have to do dynamic ukemi.

We've dealt with about half a dozen over the past few months trying out our group and it was noticeable that these people were just not used to effort and contact. I go to aiki seminars sometimes and the aiki ppl are so damn soft that I'm glad I can usually go with a friend and stick with them as my partner.

Mainly, I just can't stand anyone in a JSA with hygiene issues. That's very verboten.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:00 AM   #12
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Nainby View Post
I understand that nothing is ever 100% safe but if I had 1 or 2 injuries whenever I took novices for tackling there would be serious questions asked about how I was coaching.
True, and if there were one or two serious injuries resulting from each WOD that an affiliate runs, there would rightfully be plenty of questions about what was going on. In my year and a half of training at two fairly large affiliates, the only serious injury (serious, as in worse than a rolled ankle, pulled muscle, or torn hands) that I'm aware of was one of our trainers tearing his pectoral muscle at a CFFB cert. And that was just a freak injury that wasn't due to overly heavy weights or stupid intensity.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:34 AM   #13
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
We've dealt with about half a dozen over the past few months trying out our group and it was noticeable that these people were just not used to effort and contact. I go to aiki seminars sometimes and the aiki ppl are so damn soft that I'm glad I can usually go with a friend and stick with them as my partner.
It's extremely dojo dependent. Bad West Coast aikido goes limp and fades away. Bad East Coast aikido tries to tear your arm off and beat you with it. Good dojos try to be somewhere in between.

Katherine
Old 08-05-2009, 11:23 AM   #14
Steven Matheson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee Lee View Post
Blair, you owe me a new keyboard! I can't believe you just intimated that Katherine's a yoga bunny! I'd be fearing for my well-being at this particular moment if I were you.
Why? Do you actually think Katherine is going to beat someone up IRL over a post on an internet forum?
Old 08-05-2009, 11:47 AM   #15
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Matheson View Post
Why? Do you actually think Katherine is going to beat someone up IRL over a post on an internet forum?
Actually, a very senior aikido instructor once showed up at someone's door asking to discuss a mailing list email in person.... But the email in question was far more inflammatory than the (sad, but true) implication that some dojos are populated by yoga bunnies.

As for any suggestion that *I'm* a yoga bunny? *shrug* Come train with me and then we'll talk. I've been online too long to care what people who've never met me might think.

Katherine
Old 08-05-2009, 11:59 AM   #16
Steven Matheson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
I've been online too long to care what people who've never met me might think.

Katherine
Which of course was my inference.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:14 PM   #17
Patrick Griffin

Profile:

I think the important word in the passage "perfectly safe is perfectly ineffective" is the 'perfectly,' hence the repetition. The purpose of that particular formulation is to show that, at the extreme, safety and efficacy are opposed to one another, and that it's somewhere in the middle that CrossFit hopes to strike the balance. This is vitally important when one formulates a fitness program because it is the single determinant of goals and therefore programming.

I think I recall a discussion, perhaps it was at the War College, where Glassman recounted an armed forces trainer who responded that safety was the prime goal of the PT regimen that he employed. Glassman's response, at least as I remember it, was that if safety was the number one goal then the training would be worthless and that the number one aim was to prepare soldiers for the **** they'd be coming across in combat. If that's the case, then we must honestly admit that some rate of injury is acceptable, right?

It turns out that is in fact the case. But what if the 'best' training program -- the one that, if completed, would make for the best soldiers -- what if that caused too much injury? CrossFit heard that complaint and realized that there was an implicit answer and then made it explicit: they define fitness as work capacity over broad time and modal domain... the area under a curve, so to speak. More recently (but it's not news anymore) is that age has entered the equation; you take the volume under a surface now. It's what your cumulative work capacity is for the span of some years. In other words, how does this program work right now and how will it treat you five years from now?

If you think about it, that's the entire safety versus efficacy debate in a nutshell and it's offered up in a manner amenable to emperical analysis. All you need to do is answer two questions: 1) what's your work capacity now and 2) what's it going to be after some interval of time. So yeah, injury might sideline you for a couple of weeks here or there, but if you're more fit in total over five years, was injury acceptable? I think most people would say yes, because the local disruption (a week off with a fubar-ed ankle) lead to globally greater performance. A perfectly safe program, that allowed for absolutely no temporary injury, would leave you pretty impotent if done as prescribed.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:14 PM   #18
John Praeuner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Griffin View Post
I think the important word in the passage "perfectly safe is perfectly ineffective" is the 'perfectly,' hence the repetition. The purpose of that particular formulation is to show that, at the extreme, safety and efficacy are opposed to one another, and that it's somewhere in the middle that CrossFit hopes to strike the balance. This is vitally important when one formulates a fitness program because it is the single determinant of goals and therefore programming.

I think I recall a discussion, perhaps it was at the War College, where Glassman recounted an armed forces trainer who responded that safety was the prime goal of the PT regimen that he employed. Glassman's response, at least as I remember it, was that if safety was the number one goal then the training would be worthless and that the number one aim was to prepare soldiers for the **** they'd be coming across in combat. If that's the case, then we must honestly admit that some rate of injury is acceptable, right?

It turns out that is in fact the case. But what if the 'best' training program -- the one that, if completed, would make for the best soldiers -- what if that caused too much injury? CrossFit heard that complaint and realized that there was an implicit answer and then made it explicit: they define fitness as work capacity over broad time and modal domain... the area under a curve, so to speak. More recently (but it's not news anymore) is that age has entered the equation; you take the volume under a surface now. It's what your cumulative work capacity is for the span of some years. In other words, how does this program work right now and how will it treat you five years from now?

If you think about it, that's the entire safety versus efficacy debate in a nutshell and it's offered up in a manner amenable to emperical analysis. All you need to do is answer two questions: 1) what's your work capacity now and 2) what's it going to be after some interval of time. So yeah, injury might sideline you for a couple of weeks here or there, but if you're more fit in total over five years, was injury acceptable? I think most people would say yes, because the local disruption (a week off with a fubar-ed ankle) lead to globally greater performance. A perfectly safe program, that allowed for absolutely no temporary injury, would leave you pretty impotent if done as prescribed.
seriously
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	standing-ovation-0907-lg.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	4754  
Old 08-05-2009, 02:49 PM   #19
Simon Nainby

Profile:

I did say that I understand that it is impossible to be 100% safe but the rugby analogy is an extremely bad one with no understanding of how the sport is coached especially with novices.

Sessions for novices should have safety as the emphasis which will be highly effective in the short and long term.

I would also say that accredited sports coaches have a lower tolerance for risk than commercial gym trainers given the fact I rarely (if ever with accredited coaches) see dangerous practices but see them almost daily with gym trainers (trainer teaching thumb-less bench press just yesterday).
Old 08-05-2009, 03:04 PM   #20
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Nainby View Post
I did say that I understand that it is impossible to be 100% safe but the rugby analogy is an extremely bad one with no understanding of how the sport is coached especially with novices.
That's what everyone says about their own sport - it's different, you can't use it as an analogy, we're not after the same goals, there's a right way to teach it and only accredited coaches know that way. It's freaking rugby. People get hurt playing rugby, especially novices, despite their best efforts otherwise. You can spend a year solid only teaching proper tackles and as soon as you start a scrimmage, somebody gets hurt.