CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-30-2009, 01:17 AM   #1
Simon Nainby

Profile:
Fitness Myths Busted - not!!

Carbs don't make you fat and you only need a litre of water a day which you can get from beer!

http://tinyurl.com/lzofgm - WFS

British tabloids come to the rescue of our increasingly fat and drunk nation by publishing this..............

I see they quote the Food Standards Agency but haven't had a chance to check their site to see their recommendations and as the sun is shining for once and I am in a good mood I am not going to bother as it will only depress me.

Come on you Lions!!
Old 05-30-2009, 01:29 AM   #2
Liam McKarry

Profile:
Re: Fitness Myths Busted - not!!

yeah but it is an article from a quality journal of fitness!:stir:
Old 05-30-2009, 01:46 AM   #3
Simon Nainby

Profile:

Ha ha very true it just bugs me because I got this waved in my face 3 times so far as proof that I don't know what I am talking about when it comes to food and each time by a fattie! Tabloids are gospel obviously.

At least they know they have a faster metabolism than me now!
Old 05-30-2009, 02:54 AM   #4
Marcel Zwinger

Profile:

so finally! smoking is NOT unhealthy!

guess it's normal for people to shout every 45min:"I need a cig..."
Old 05-30-2009, 03:24 AM   #5
Andrew Meyer

Profile:

While this article is misguided in its "busting" of the myth, there is no substantial evidence that suggests low-carb diets are any better for fat loss than high-carb diets (regardless if said diets are high/low GI). Overall health on the otherhand is typically much better in low-GI diets. If one is looking to shed body fat, caloric restriction is your trump card.

The biggest proponents of the low-carb diet have a vested interest in it being the standard of fat loss, which is the craze of our era. Lots of money in that industry.
Old 05-30-2009, 04:34 AM   #6
Colin McLafferty

Profile:

Craziest thing I've ever seen in a diet / "fitness" article was (I think) on yahoo.com. The advice for losing weight was, and I quote, "go a lot." Then they said we carry x ounces of feces inside us at all times and a good way to getting healthier would be expelling that extra weight. Yeah..
Old 05-30-2009, 05:22 AM   #7
Gary Turner

Profile:

Hi!

I've been doing a fair bit of research into some of these 'myths'...and despite the poor journalism, some of what she has there is well supported.

For example, the amount of water we need a day on average can be alot less than the recommended '8 glasses per day'. (Although with me training up to 4x daily I need one hell of alot more!!!) Its often written that drinking caffeine drinks and alcohol will dehydrate you as they are both diuretics, but you'll still take in 80% of the average cup of coffee for example, same for a beer...

Carbs on their own don't make you fat. The type of carbs, the timing, and enxyme and insulin reaction - thats what can make you fat. If you want to lose fat, I would never advocate an excessive reduction in carbs. Especially if you are training.

Eggs is a thread on its own...I have 4 a day as part of my breakfast...the cholesterol scare came from a flawed study in the early 80's which has persisted...

The poor journalism doesn't present it well at all though...

Just some thoughts...

Smiler
Old 05-30-2009, 05:24 AM   #8
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
TRUTH: “Even 100 sit-ups a day will do nothing to get rid of the layer of fat on your tummy,” says fitness expert Nicola Botton, “only cardiovascular exercise – the type that gets you out of breath – can shift body fat.”
Cardiovascular exercise ... shifts bodyfat? Is that a British term for "sheds" or do they mean it actually shifts fat around the body?
Old 05-30-2009, 05:45 AM   #9
David Meverden

Profile:

Aside from the obviously stupid ones I Like this one:

Quote:
16 MYTH: Lung cancer is a smoker’s disease

TRUTH: One in eight cases are not linked to smoking. Second-hand smoke and contact with some cancer-causing substances will increase the risk, though the disease can occur in those with no obvious exposure.
They say it IS NOT a smokers disease because ONE OUT OF EIGHT is not smoking related. Funny, I would take the exact same number and make a completly opposite, and I think more sensical claim of:

"Lung cancer is a smoker's disease: Seven out of eight cases of lung cancer are linked to smokers"