CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-14-2009, 04:12 AM   #1
Milan Zecevich

Profile:
What is this called?

In one of the gym jones video (don't think it's live anymore), they had athletes in a harness, on something like an elastic band hooked up to the wall, doing sprints to a kettlebell, then back peddaling back to the start position, rinse/repeat. What is this apparatus called? Google has been rather useless for this, and I am having a total brain fart with this one. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!
Old 01-14-2009, 05:59 AM   #2
Matthew Green

Profile:
Re: What is this called?

It's just an assistance band strapped to the wall....... simple as.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:05 AM   #3
Gijs Nijholt

Profile:

I don't know the proper term either, but I found a nice and cheap one here:
http://www.sportime.be/rl//art=14378...®%20Band%20Ski (wfs)
Old 01-14-2009, 10:04 AM   #4
Simon Nainby

Profile:

We use Viper belts from SAQ International - Just their gimmicky name for a jump stretch band but it comes with a proper quick release harness etc. and is purpose built for exactly those drills.

Think it is probably a lot more expensive than jump stretch bands but our rugby club went SAQ crazy and bought a job lot of everything so we use them.

http://www.saqinternational.com/vipe...-cord-12-p.asp

link is wfs
Old 01-14-2009, 02:08 PM   #5
Milan Zecevich

Profile:

Thanks for the help guys that is exactly what I was looking for. How do you feel about the viperbelt simon? It looks rather versatile.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:34 PM   #6
Scott A Morris

Profile:

Milan, you could also use a hunters deer drag harness with a carabiner attached to the back. I bought a deer drag harness for 10 dollars at DICKS sporting goods.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:46 PM   #7
Milan Zecevich

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott A Morris View Post
Milan, you could also use a hunters deer drag harness with a carabiner attached to the back. I bought a deer drag harness for 10 dollars at DICKS sporting goods.
Scott, I had actually already considered that, do you know where I can buy just the bands? The resistance band I found online were all very short, < 40". I need a few of these so if I can get them on a budget it would be ideal! Thanks again!
Old 01-15-2009, 02:41 AM   #8
Simon Nainby

Profile:

I think it is very good and as you say versatile - we use them for contrast in sprinting and jumping but they are just really expensive for what they are - I see a post above that says you can get similar for $10 so I would do that first and if it doesn't work out then look at the Viper belts.

I'm also looking at more sled work now and when I can convince the money men at the club will get a Prowler.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:00 AM   #9
Milan Zecevich

Profile:

Well I think the 10 bucks is just for the harness, I would still have to buy the bands, which they actually sell seperate! What do you find to be more effective, the resistance bands or the sled? I was debating the two (and will likely just end up getting both). Are there pretty comparable workout wise? It's been years since I ran with a sled.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:29 AM   #10
Simon Nainby

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan Zecevich View Post
Well I think the 10 bucks is just for the harness, I would still have to buy the bands, which they actually sell seperate! What do you find to be more effective, the resistance bands or the sled? I was debating the two (and will likely just end up getting both). Are there pretty comparable workout wise? It's been years since I ran with a sled.
Ah yes didn't read that properly - no ideas about where to get bands or similar in the US as I am in the UK. SAQ do the bands alone for $45 each plus postage and are 2.5m long stretching to 6.25m.

Have a look at http://www.saqinternational.com/saq5...-cord-52-p.asp (wfs)

Sleds and bands are both fairly different as the bands have the accelerated return phase when doing shuttles, can be used for overspeed training and can provide variable resistance.

Sleds are a constant resistance but can utilise the whole body when pulling and pushing and are just all round nasty for conditioning work.

Like I say I am just now experimenting with both and I don't really tend to prefer any kit over another as I like variety. They are great bits of kit as they have so much versatility that the other doesn't provide so get both!