CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 11-09-2004, 07:29 PM   #11
Brian Hand

Profile:

Keith, damned sporting of you man.

Jon, lunges or even better overhead lunges will almost certainly make the glutes sore. Keep in mind it is the lowering not the raising that makes you sore. Are you sure she doesn't have some biomechanical issues that are preventing her from really using her glutes? This is really common and worth correcting if there is an issue.
Old 11-09-2004, 08:00 PM   #12
Jon Pappas

Profile:
Brian,

I don't think she has any biomechanical issues. What would be some common corrections?

If it's the lowering on the lunges that makes you sore, are you suggesting she lower slower? Faster? All the way until her knee touches?

Jon
Old 11-10-2004, 06:03 AM   #13
Brian Hand

Profile:

Jon, on lunges, especially walking lunges, you have a little free fall at the beginning of each rep so you build up some momentum that you have to reverse, so the lowering part is harder. I think a perfect lunge lands with the leading leg shin almost vertical, not with the knee way forward, and the trailing leg fairly straight with the kneecap pretty close to the ground. This means a long stride. Of course some strength, flexibility, and balance is a prerequisite to do this safely.

I think the biomechanics that take the glutes out of squats, swings, and other exercises can be pretty subtle but the main thing to watch for is a flat back, shins close to vertical, hips travel backward horizontally.

If she is doing bodyweight squats right, the hips will be working at the bottom. If she is going fairly slow and controlled on the descent, it prevents a lot of momentum from building up so the lowering and reversing is not too hard - less soreness. I think this is why Tabata style squats make you sore - you are trying to go fast so you free fall into the squats, and have a lot of momentum to reverse at the bottom. With all that momentum to reverse, you're going to get sore somewhere - if you're doing them right, your glutes will get some of the soreness.
Old 11-10-2004, 08:44 AM   #14
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Jon,

Four exercises I have the women I train do seem to have a great effect on their buns of steel. High box steps with a weight, wall ball, one foot elevated squat jumps and the tactical lunge.

For the high box steps we put one foot on a box that puts that thigh parallel with the floor and then hold a weight in that same side hand. After the step up we have been switching feet at the top but you could just as well lower with the same leg.

Wall ball you probably know though we do it to a target I have hanging from the ceiling due to a lack of wall space. Just to be clear we go to a full squat with the medicine ball when gravity sends it back.

The one foot elevated squat jump I took from the off set hand position people do with push ups. For the off set we have been using a round rebound trampoline for a surface about 8 inches off the ground. That just happened to be what I had laying around to use and we don't use the tramp part, but rather the firm metal edge. We go to a full squat and jump up as high as possible, return to earth and repeat, quickly, for 10 reps each leg and 3 sets. The greater stress is on the elevated leg and you concentrate on pushing harder with that one.

The tactical lunge is from Pavel Tsatsouline's kettlebell program. For this exercise I have the girls hold a 36 pound KB in their right hand with their feet parallel to start. We step back with the right foot so that the right knee just touches the ground and at the same time pass the bell under your left thigh to the left hand and step back up. We do a set of 10 reps for three sets with each leg. Always pass the bell from the inside to the outside.

We mix other exercise in between this leg work, swings, snatches, C & J etc, in order to keep the HR up.

If your buns of titanium girlfriend gets through these exercises without getting sore, she must have one helluva great...but really, should we be talking about that here?

Please let the rest of us know if this works. Jon, your girlfriend's butt is of great interest to us all.
Old 11-10-2004, 10:21 AM   #15
Carrie Klumpar

Profile:
Tactical lunge sounds interesting. I'll have to give that a try. Maybe I'll subject the mostly somewhat older ladies in our CrossFit cancer survivors class to it. They're gluttons. :wink:

Jon, for increasing soreness on squats or any of these things, it seems like having her consciously think of activating the glutes as she works will help. In addition to all the other good suggestions and biomechanical tips in this thread.
Old 11-10-2004, 10:44 AM   #16
Jon Pappas

Profile:
Wow - thanks for all the great tips everyone. I will try some of these on my girlfriend's butt.

Brian - that makes sense about the reverse working the legs harder because of the momemtum that they legs have to overcome. I think this is what's happening.

I'll let you know what happens to her butt :-)
Old 11-10-2004, 11:42 AM   #17
Ron Nelson

Profile:
Funny, no one mentioned last month's CFJ with Rutman's dumbbell work. He showed tons of different lunges and duckwalks that should tear her butt up. Also, have her try the "Pig on Ice Skates" routine, but don't tell her it's called that if you value the relationship!!
Old 11-12-2004, 11:29 AM   #18
John Frazer

Profile:
Suggest you look back a month:

Monday 041011

For time:
Run 800 meters
Deadlift 75 pounds, 30 reps
Run 800 meters
Hang squat clean 75 pounds, 30 reps
Run 800 meters
Front squat 75 pounds, 30 reps
Run 800 meters
Split jerk 75 pounds, 30 reps

Post time to comments.

Old 11-13-2004, 03:29 PM   #19
Mike Yukish

Profile:
Absolutely, undoubtedly, indisputably the best way to get her butt sore is good old Tabata squats done way fast. Deep and fast. Make sure she emphasizes fast. Time her. Ridicule her for lack of speed. Praise her increased effort. Demand her sweat. Butt to floor. She'll be wishing you'd spanked her with a paddle instead.

I've been CF-ing for 11 months now, and tabata squats still manage to leave me sore. That big negative catch at the bottom point of max stretch guarantees a need for a massage the next day or so.
Old 11-13-2004, 06:58 PM   #20
Jon Pappas

Profile:
Love your idea Mike, I'll try it tonight on her.