CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-13-2008, 11:25 PM   #11
Sean Kane

Profile:
Re: Optimizing My Fat Loss

Not sure if anyone will look at this in here, might need to start a new thread, but...

I have been doing my best to make more Paleo-ish choices as well as lower my daily blocks down to 16. I am feeling quite well, but nothing major in the way of fat loss. Should I drop down to 15 blocks or what? If need be I can post a sample daily diet for my current 16 blocks.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:06 PM   #12
Steven Anderson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Kane View Post
Per CFJ#21 I decided that I was a 17 block kind of guy. After eating as such for about 4 weeks I have definately lost some fat, but am really aiming to truly cut this fat off. I have a beach trip planned for the first of June and would like to be as lean as possible, vain I know . I was wondering what I should do to obtimize my results on the Zone Diet. I usually eat as Paleo as possible, but am not super strict on it. I eat grain/starch at most 1 meal out of 5, but usually more like 1-2 meals out of a whole week. Here is a sample of my diet from yesterday:

Meal 1
3 Whole Eggs
2 oz 2% cheese
15 Cashews
1 Apple
1/2 Cup Grapes

Meal 2
5 oz chicken
1 tbs olive oil
1.75 cups diced bell peppers (red, green, yellow)
1 cup chopped red onion
6 Walnuts

Meal 3
6 oz baby spinache
1 oz chicken
1/3 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp caesar dressing

Meal 4
5 oz lean ground beef
5 corn tortillas (4") <-- A rarity for me
15 Cashews

Meal 5 (pre-bed)
8 oz 2% milk
1 macademia nut

I was thinking about cutting back my blocks, maybe having five 3 block meals instead of three 5 block meals and two 1 block snacks. What are your thoughts/suggestions?
1 macademia nut.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:17 PM   #13
Butch Montgomery

Profile:

I am no expert but sounds like you are eating too much fat, how many grams a day are you eating? I cut my body fat to 15% and I weight 120 pounds at 5'7", this is Butch's wife. I did it by cutting out sugar and eating less fat while eating 5 small meals a day. That was it, no more exercise or anything else.

Lisa
Old 05-14-2008, 03:37 PM   #14
John S Park

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Anderson View Post
1 macademia nut.
lol :-D gotta love the zone
Old 05-14-2008, 03:42 PM   #15
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch Montgomery View Post
I am no expert but sounds like you are eating too much fat, I did it by cutting out sugar and eating less fat while eating 5 small meals a day.
Lisa

FAT is HUGE. Never cut FAT unless it's bad fat.

Meat/Fish/Eggs/Ton of Veggies, some nuts(pricy and high in Omg 6) little Fruit, you are good to go.

Plug some of your food intake into Fitday, see total cals along with Macro Nutrient percentages, post on line.

Unless your Zoning, you can have Fat intake in the 40-60 % range, Protein 30% balance Carbs. Counting Calories is still important.

Oops, re-reading your post, looks like you're trying to follow Zone, bummer. Disregard my post, sorry.
Old 05-14-2008, 05:08 PM   #16
Jacob Cloud

Profile:

If you want vain, cut the carbs out completely, go into ketosis, and you'll shed the fat. There's a price to be paid - foggy-headedness, loss of performance, temporary reduction in strength, etc. are common - but it's a sure-fire way to do it more quickly than just about any other diet out there. Not worth it to me, now that I've found the zone, but if you have/want to lose fat quickly, it does work. After the initial ~5 pounds of water weight (in the first few days), I've found I can easily shed 3-5 pounds a week, of which at least 80% is fat.

However, it looks like you have a pretty dang good zone diet dialed in. In this case, just slightly increase your exercise to go into more of a caloric deficit, and you'll slowly lose the extra pounds. Maybe pick 2 days a week and do the crossfit endurance workout a few hours after the normal WOD. It won't be as quick, but it'll undoubtedly be more healthy, and still very effective. I'm actually considering this, as I do have a *lot* of extra body fat to lose in order to reach my performance goals, and I'm not willing to suffer through ketosis again.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:54 PM   #17
Sean Kane

Profile:

Yeah, not sure if I would like ketosis. I think I was in it when I first started caring about my diet. I literally ate chicken/fish and veggies and that was it .

So the generally consensus is just keep doing what I am doing? I guess the fat loss is really slow (if at all), but sustainable. Would be interested to see any more opinions and advance.

Thanks so far!
Old 05-15-2008, 09:53 AM   #18
Sean Kane

Profile:

Actually I think I am going to drop down to 15 blocks and be as dialed in and Paleo as possible. My brother started zoning and moved down to 16 blocks and is losing well. He is probably has 10-15 more lbs of LBM than me so I think eating just under what he is doing will be correct for me. Also, I think 5 even meals of 3 blocks will be easier to keep up with.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:14 PM   #19
Sean Kane

Profile:

I fixed this so it should be public now, this is what I ate yesterday.

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJ...slyblackdragon
Old 05-16-2008, 08:48 AM   #20
Sean Kane

Profile:

bump for advice after looking at my fitday, here is yesterdays as well

http://fitday.com/webfit/publicjourn...Month=4&Day=15