CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-13-2008, 05:20 PM   #1
Adam Locklin

Profile:
Other weight loss programs?

So I am trying to drop 20 pounds and so far I have put on 5? yeah I know do the zone but I am not the guy that is going to measure his food, EVER! Background male 23yrs old,6'1", 205lbs, and active Marine.

I have a culinary background and honestly cooking is one of my favorites pass times.

I do a WOD at least 3 times a week and I am trying to implement more crossfit into my daily routine but the facilities that I have around are not accommodating to crossfit. So I put a twist on most WODs. I am continually fighting knee injury/pain but am back to a continuous running routine in the morning or WOD. In the afternoon I do more specific weight training.

Fitness I think I have it down its the actually nutrition side I have a problem with. I used to be a solid 185 and could eat whatever well I don't know what exactly happened.

So I need some advice/guidance on how to watch what I eat and start a good nutrition plan. Thank you for the help.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:37 PM   #2
Geoff Sallee

Profile:
Re: Other weight loss programs?

Eat less. If you're gaining weight you're eating too much. Eat less calorie-dense foods (most processed carbs are pretty dense, ever see how many carbs are in something as small as a hamburger bun?), eat leaner meats, increase your intake of good oils/fats, reduce your overall carb intake, and cut way back on alcohol if you drink. I'm also 205 (albeit a bit shorter) aiming at 185 as my goal, and I eat 2200 calories a day, optimally. I'm down from 230 so it works for me. Your body may tolerate more calories than that, but you'll never know if you don't monitor the amount you're taking in. Eating Paleo (or close to it) will naturally cut your calories by quite a bit, but I can't stomach all the vegetables.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:05 AM   #3
Tirzah Harper

Profile:

what were you doing when you were trying to lose 20 and gained 5?
what's your typical day's diet/grocery shopping score?

Are you eating meat, vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds - or are you eating other stuff like flour-based products, processed anything, pre-packaged drinks, sugar, whatever?

I'm a non-Zoning foodie too. My first tips are to cut out starches and sugars before anything else. Avoid foods with ingredients that aren't sold separately at the grocery store, too - anything you'd have to buy from a chemist, you probably shouldn't eat.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:15 AM   #4
Cal Jones

Profile:

I tried IF using mainly Paleo foods and ended up putting on 7lbs. I was not happy.
So I switched to the Velocity Diet (I do the shakes and hot rox but not the Surge or the flax seeds, and after week one I have been subbing a mini can of tuna and some green veg for one of the meals). On this I have lost 9lbs thus far, including two inches from my waist, and I'm much less obsessive about food. This month I did not get terrible carb cravings during PMS (I'm female - obviously this isn't going to be an issue for you) and in fact hardly think of food at all.
So yes, V-Diet if you want to drop some fat fast. It's not a long term solution but it's worth a try, IMHO.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:40 AM   #5
Justin Algera

Profile:

The eating whatever you want eventually catches up to everyone at some point... There are a ton of threads around here discussing proper nutrition. If you are not one for weighing and measuring, then maybe check out changing to a paleo diet. This will allow you to cook more and put your love of cooking in play.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:03 AM   #6
Nick Cummings

Profile:

It sounds like you know the answer to your question and chose not to use the information. What would you have us say to you?
Old 05-14-2008, 03:03 PM   #7
Adam Locklin

Profile:

I'd say there is some good information out there. I am going to look into more of a Paleo diet and stay away from so many carbs. I think that is the main down fall in my lifestyle is the carbs.

Thank you for all the help. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:14 PM   #8
Butch Montgomery

Profile:

I am able to maintain my 120 pounds on 5'7" frame very easily and this is how. BTW this is Butch's wife, I am sure you were thinking, a man that weights 120 pounds????? Anyway, I work out 6 days a week for about an hour, cardio and weights, but the real key is what I eat. I eat 5 times a day about every 3 hours so I never get really hungry and I don't overeat. I only eat natural food with no preservatives and I eat about 30 grams of fiber a day THAT is vital! I also drink protein shakes with whey and meal replacement bars that are all natural and really fill me up and no meat, only chicken and fish and I cook all the time. If you want, I can write down the foods I eat, my husband started using my program and he lost 10 pounds immediately.

Lisa
Old 05-14-2008, 04:07 PM   #9
Emily Mattes

Profile:

Adam, I am also a Crossfitting foodie, but with a lean towards baking, which of course makes things much harder.

Zone is basically impossible to do while trying to create gourmet meals, unless you want to spend a day calculating blocks and experimenting with ingredients to try to create something palatable and balanced. Stick with Paleo. Ensure your carbs are coming solely from fruit and vegetables. Baking is much more difficult, but a Crossfitter on the forums named Nikki Young has posted some of her Paleo baking recipes in various threads.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:49 PM   #10
Andrea Johnston

Profile:

Weight Watcher's Core is great, no measuring and great healthy choices with lots of options for quick meals or elaborate great meals. It can integrate with the Zone as well if you focus on the ratios of what you are eating!

=)