CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 05-10-2008, 01:07 PM   #1
Shane Upchurch

Profile:
Extremely tight psoas

Alright so I'm nearly 100% sure that the source of my lower right side back pain is an extremely tight psoas. By tight I mean I can feel it pull on my spine just by lying on my back, knees bent with feet on the floor about 12in below my butt, and I pull my right knee towards my chest. When I do this I feel a lot of pressure (it gets really tight) in the front of my right hip joint and the more I pull the more it pulls on my spine. The left side does a similar thing but I can pull it much closer to my chest before it gets really tight. I've been stretching about 3 times a day and at first I felt like I was making progress in stretching the psoas out some but now I feel like I hit a wall. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I should approach this? I have looked up stretches that involve a process known as "releasing the psoas", does anyone know how much truth there is to this process? I have had back pain for a little over 2 years now so I know it is not going to go away overnight.
Old 05-10-2008, 04:34 PM   #2
Andrew Cattermole

Profile:
Re: Extremely tight psoas

Try
"Contract Relax" Partner stretches for the Psoas, Piriformis and Qaudratus Lumborum

I highly recommend Kit Laughlin's work .

Give them a search
Old 05-10-2008, 04:51 PM   #3
Aileen Reid

Profile:

I would have said PNF stretching which may be the partner stuff mentioned. You push against someone then they relax and let you stretch again and repeat several times.

Not sure but if your abs aren't good enough then maybe you might be arching your back when you try and stretch which may reduce the efficacy of the stretch??
Old 05-10-2008, 05:27 PM   #4
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Foam roller, or find a good deep tissue massage therapist, pay the 50-70 per hour, get it done right. Massage every few months is like a tune up for you car.

Works great, though most people take better care of the cars and toys then they do their bodies and mind.

Not directing that at you, just my typical 2 cents.
Old 05-10-2008, 10:10 PM   #5
Chad Skola

Profile:

I second the PNF recommendation. I have had and seen amazing results from a short PNF session. It is crazy to watch your leg just keep going up. Lay on your back and have your partner make sure he/she holds the knee locked out, have them put your shoulder into your calf and push it towards you. When you get to a point you cant go any further hold for 6-10 secs at that point. Then relax for 10 seconds and repeat. This is started after a 30 second static stretch.

Good luck. I hope something fixes it for you.
70in/150#Go to my website to make a donation to a young 13 year old. Your donation will help make living with Cerebral Palsy a little bit easier. His name is Dax and his story can be found from my site also.
Old 05-11-2008, 02:51 AM   #6
Ian Carver

Profile:

I have the same issue and have been trying everything. I found a link off of Wikipedia (under "psoas major muscle") that showed a stretch for the psoas. I have been trying it to alleviate the lower right back tension I have and it seems to be helping.

http://www.floota.com/PsoasStretch1.html (WFS)

I also got a pair of gravity boots that I use to hang from my pull up bar a couple times a day for 3-5 minutes a piece. This, along with stretching, some foam roller and tennis ball work, are helping.

Good luck!
Old 05-11-2008, 04:25 AM   #7
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Carver View Post
I have the same issue and have been trying everything. I found a link off of Wikipedia (under "psoas major muscle") that showed a stretch for the psoas. I have been trying it to alleviate the lower right back tension I have and it seems to be helping.

http://www.floota.com/PsoasStretch1.html (WFS)

I also got a pair of gravity boots that I use to hang from my pull up bar a couple times a day for 3-5 minutes a piece. This, along with stretching, some foam roller and tennis ball work, are helping.

Good luck!
Ian, great site, thanks for posting.
Old 05-11-2008, 06:08 AM   #8
Rodney Hackett

Profile:

Shane,
You mention feeling tightness in you lower back when lying on your back and pulling your knee to your chest.
The tightness in your lower back sounds like it could also be quadratus lumborum but if you're sure it's your psoas giving you trouble a good massage threrapist should be able to target it using a pin and stretch technique. As a massage therapist I use this technique regularly with excellent results. Without getting too detailed it involve me pinning the psoas muscle with my fingertips whilst you lay supine. It feels really icky for all involved but it works. It's easy to do but finding a therapist that knows the manouvre can be a challenge.

Best of luck.

Last edited by Rodney Hackett : 05-11-2008 at 06:16 AM.
Old 05-11-2008, 01:13 PM   #9
Shane Upchurch

Profile:

Thanks for all the replies guys and gals. I'm going to get a foam roller tonight...are there any particular things you all would recommend doing with the foam roller?
Rodney, Im in nashville tennessee, do you know anyone in this area that is familar with the technique you describe? What should I look for in a message therapist?

Thanks again all
Old 05-11-2008, 04:55 PM   #10
James Rios

Profile:

ooo foam rollers.... those things are GREAT. seriously my back has never felt as good as it does when i roll myself on one of those things. they are TOTALLY worth the trouble of getting one. if you buy it online PM me a link im looking for one for myself. the only time i can use one is when i'm at a specific LA fitness affiliate. (i know La fitness sucks but its better that nothing. plus my affiliate is way laid back. ive done clean, jerks, and snatches right in front of the trainers, and even hung my rings on their power rack without any problems )