CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 07-15-2013, 11:49 AM   #21
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:
Re: Rubber atlas stone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
Really? Do tell. Same way as making a concrete one?

- Mark
i'm not sure about the concrete ones because the only concrete ones i have ever seen where just pour wet concrete into a mold of some kind?

as for the rubber ones, we have made all sizes and weights. we use to use them alot in the military. when deployed it is easy and cheap to get people to send you deflated rubber balls and then fill them with sand. they sell all sizes and shapes at lots of stores. they can be called "ab balls" "yoga balls" "fitness balls" "pilates balls" etc. depending on price some have a more durable and thicker rubber. alot of times we would just go to a place like walmart and look in the kids toy section and they have all different size large and giant rubber balls.

besides being able to drop them on concrete or wood floors, a big advantage and one of the main reasons we used them in training, is because you can drop them on toes, shoulders, your face, etc and not have major damage or injury.

often times with the cheaper balls we would stuff one inside another to keep them durable. depending on what you fill them with will make a difference in weight. pebbles are pretty light, sand weighs more, lead is super heavy but also expensive, etc. we found not filling them to absolute full and leaving them a little "squish" or "give" helped keep them from busting. after we got them filled we would use a silicone or some other type of thing to seal them and then wrap them in tape. a few units made really nice ones to last for a long time and they sprayed the outside with some sort of rubber spray paint coating stuff.

anyway, they can be made for dirt cheap so even when they break or bust it's not a big deal to replace them.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:54 AM   #22
Matt Corley

Profile:

I assumed they'd just bust when you dropped them. And they made them in the 100-150lb range?

Last edited by Matt Corley : 07-15-2013 at 11:56 AM.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:03 PM   #23
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Corley View Post
I assumed they'd just bust when you dropped them. And they made them in the 100-150lb range?
we had some heavier than that which took 2 or 3 people to lift. but we made tons of them between 50 and 100. if you put a few layers of duck tape around them and leave a little empty space inside they don't bust too easy. now, they aren't slam balls. you can't just forcefully throw them down or i am sure they will bust more often. but if you just drop them and you don't try to abuse them they work pretty good. i am sure they aren't as good as the ones you buy but you can get alot of good use out of them.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:20 PM   #24
Frank E Morel

Profile:

Wouldn't a fitness stability ball filled with water work?

The sloshing around would workout grip and grappling aspects