CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-05-2013, 05:41 PM   #1
Seth Church

Profile:
Post Can I gain mass from crossfit if I'm eating enough?

So I started crossfit a little over a month ago and I love it. I'm 15 years old, and I'm playing football. I was weight lifting just daily routines/ isometric workouts. Got kind of bored so I started crossfit. So far my squat, dead lift, clean, shoulder press, front squat, OH squat, snatch and pretty much everything else has gone up. I'm 6 feet, went in about 165. I weighed myself last week and was like 158-59. I was doing the paleo diet pretty strictly, but I realized just burning the calories from the daily WOD I could get enough carbs from just fruits and vegis. Since my main focus is to gain weight/mass for football in the fall, I added bread back into my diet. Still eat really healthy, (no junk food or sugar) Pretty much paleo+wheat bread. Does this sound alright? Any other suggestions on how to be gaining mass or things I should/ shouldn't do? I don't expect to start throwing on weight like a bodybuilding routine, I just don't want to be losing weight. Thanks!
Old 02-05-2013, 05:52 PM   #2
Jeff Enge

Profile:
Re: Can I gain mass from crossfit if I'm eating enough?

If you want to gain mass, paleo is not the best option. There's nothing fundamentally wrong with good carbs like rice, or potatoes or dairy products like milk and cheese (assuming you aren't lactose intolerant) if your goal is to gain weight.

That said, if you are eating enough you will gain weight doing any program or no program at all. The thing is, "enough" is variable based on activity level, genetics and certain other factors.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:55 PM   #3
Tricia Magrini

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Church View Post
So I started crossfit a little over a month ago and I love it. I'm 15 years old, and I'm playing football. I was weight lifting just daily routines/ isometric workouts. Got kind of bored so I started crossfit. So far my squat, dead lift, clean, shoulder press, front squat, OH squat, snatch and pretty much everything else has gone up. I'm 6 feet, went in about 165. I weighed myself last week and was like 158-59. I was doing the paleo diet pretty strictly, but I realized just burning the calories from the daily WOD I could get enough carbs from just fruits and vegis. Since my main focus is to gain weight/mass for football in the fall, I added bread back into my diet. Still eat really healthy, (no junk food or sugar) Pretty much paleo+wheat bread. Does this sound alright? Any other suggestions on how to be gaining mass or things I should/ shouldn't do? I don't expect to start throwing on weight like a bodybuilding routine, I just don't want to be losing weight. Thanks!
Do you tolerate dairy well? If so I would recommend quite a bit of whole milk to your diet as well as lots of healthy fats. For someone your age and activity level, I think you'd do well consuming lots of coconut oil, avocados, nuts, peanut butter, some white rice, and some oatmeal. I am a gluten phobe so I would personally dump the bread and focus on carbs from rice, potatoes, root veggies, fruit and oats.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:35 PM   #4
Bret Young

Profile:

I agree with the milk recomendations. I started crossfitting when in high school for strength when I was running track/cross country to build strength and build muscle during cross country.

I ate a ton of calories to keep up body mass and muscle strength, but my main thing that I focused on was the GOMAD challenge. Gallon of milk a day.

If you can take that much milk, its a lot of calories and really helped me.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:37 PM   #5
Mike Jenkins

Profile:

If I were you, and Ive been in your shoes when I was 15, I would get on a solid strength program and if you do anything in CrossFit take a look at CF Football. What are you doing for programming now as far as strength and speed training? Metcons will not make you a better football player, you dont need extended periods of working out like that.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:53 PM   #6
Steven Thunander

Profile:

I would suggest following CrossFit Football or some other strength plus CrossFit hybrid. The best way to build mass is through a good strength program. CFFB will allow you to do that and maintain your conditioning.

http://www.crossfitfootball.com/(wfs)
Old 02-09-2013, 12:06 AM   #7
Jeff Owens

Profile:

Never did cf in hs. I did play lax back then. The best way I found to add mass was to eat. You need more calories than you burn to grow. As young as you are you have enough testosterone in your body to put on a ton of weight if you feed your self plenty of protein, and have an excess of calories while working out. Hell, at your age, you will grow eating absolute crap if you are active. I had a friend in hs who got massive by eating a loaf of bread and drinking chocolate milk buy the quart when hanging out. He was benching 350 by age 17. Dude was a beast.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:21 AM   #8
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

I'll second several recommendation:

CrossFit Football is the program you should follow with your goals.

Paleo is a good base but I would add:

Whole milk up to a gallon a day

Protein shakes with milk and frozen fruit (not the high carb weight gain stuff)

White potatoes and maybe white rice with meals containing protein and fat.

And eating enough for you is 3 to 5 meals + 2 protein shakes a day.

If you still enjoy food you are not eating enough.

The good news is done correctly at your age the results can be amazing.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:28 PM   #9
Jesse Martin

Profile:

Do Crossfitfootball.

You are young enough to handle it and you will get strong, big and fast in the process.

Random style CF isn't going to do you any good for your goals.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:26 AM   #10
James Yates

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan McNamar View Post
If you still enjoy food you are not eating enough.
Take it easy there, this is a KID-15 years old. No need to give him the "you need to eat until you feel like you need to barf" complex. Just not sound advice to hand out fairly anonymously, especially to a minor.

CF football-good advice

upping the calories with whole milk, protein shakes, and quality food-good advice

Have your parents hook you up with some type of coach who will personally help you work towards your goals-great advice.