CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-26-2012, 12:12 PM   #1
Troy Kenshin

Profile:
Crossfit Carbs

Im 5'9 170 and train to be competitive (follow OPT's "Will"). I eat paleo but am having trouble getting enough carbs in. So my question is what are some clean carbs sources that aren't technically paleo, i already eat rice, but need more choices.

My diet is as follows:
Breaky:
5 eggs, 4 Bacon, guacamole, 1 sweet potato

Lunch:
12oz Salmon, olive oil, 2 cups rice, salad

Dinner:
12oz Beef, guacamole, 1-2 large potatoes, salad

Post workout ill get in 20-30g carbs so depending on the day ill have 1-3 PW periods.

Even with this intake I only get around 200-250g carbs which isn't enough for my training as its glycogen depleting. I know I get enough calories as I've been steadily gaining muscle.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:29 PM   #2
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:
Re: Crossfit Carbs

Oats are gluten free. Squash is popular as well here.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:22 PM   #3
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Kenshin View Post
Even with this intake I only get around 200-250g carbs which isn't enough for my training as its glycogen depleting. I know I get enough calories as I've been steadily gaining muscle.
I was wondering why you think you need more carbs? I train fairly hard on half what you are taking in and don't feel like I'm out of glycogen even on longer met-cons. I do consume a lot of fat for energy but it looks like you do a good job at that as well.

Are you gaining actual lbs. or just leaning out and adding muscle?

The carbs you are taking in could be causing blood sugar swings. If they are miss timed with you workouts then you could be starting a met-con right as your blood sugar has dipped. In this case it is not a question of how many but when you take the cards that is important. I think Mat Chan talked about it in his video on competitors nutrition.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:39 AM   #4
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

fruit. fruit is also paleo. and it is easy to carry around with you and comes in the perfect serving size. try adding in a piece of fruit between meals. if i was you i would also look at adding in at least another meal to your daily schedule, even if calories stay the same
Old 12-27-2012, 10:14 PM   #5
Larry Bruce

Profile:

Ditto oats, while not actually gluten free it's of a type most gluten intolerant people can tolerate, if manufactured in a non-wheat facility.

Buckwheat and quinoa are nice and carby. But #1 IMHO for carbs are beans. Soak overnight and cook well and phylates are a non-issue. Black beans, chick peas, navy beans especially. Great with rice for extra complete protein.

Not everyone has blood sugar crashes from carbs. All of the above are pretty slow digesting with a relatively high protein content.

Not sure that salmon 12oz every day is that great an idea though. Considering it's 3x the normal portion, I would be a little concerned about possible contamination and seek to replace a every other portion with poultry perhaps...
Old 12-28-2012, 05:15 AM   #6
Trevor Ryan

Profile:

More veggies... leafy green veggies with every meal (or green smoothies) good carbs and tons of phytonutrients. Fruit as above poster mentioned. Quinoa, buckwheat and wild rice, are my go to pseudo grains.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:18 AM   #7
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

Veggies are good, but if the goal is to increase Carbs significantly, spinach isn't a very effective way to do that. I have been eyeing up that quinoa though. It seems to have potential.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:29 PM   #8
Tony Greene

Profile:

Whenever I'm feeling a like I need a bump in my carbs, I like to use a recipe for pancakes that calls for mashing up a banana, 2 eggs and half a cup of quick oats into a bowl and then frying on a hot buttered pan. Makes about 4 pancakes and is Dee-licious. You could add whatever berries you may fancy.