CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 09-18-2012, 07:32 AM   #1
Matt B Johnson

Profile:
Opinions on these shoes for a crossfit newbie?

I just started doing crossfit and my running shoes are worn out. I probably won't have a bunch of different kinds of shoes and use this one pair for all of my workouts. Anyone have any opinions on the Salomon Crossmax shoes? They look like they would be decent for running and offer a firm base for lifts. Thanks
Old 09-18-2012, 10:16 AM   #2
Luke Conner

Profile:
Re: Opinions on these shoes for a crossfit newbie?

Thumbs down for me at least. The soul is way to thick on those things. I would look at a more minimalist type shoe. If you haven't worn minimalist shoes before there are some inbetween shoes that aren't so thin on the bottom.

Nike Free Run
One of the Altra Zero Drop
Merrel Trail Gloves

Right now I'm actually using the Reebok Crossfit Nano 2.0, and I really like them for everything except running WODs.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:52 AM   #3
Brad Daddis

Profile:

I have a pair, but don't use them. Not that you can't or that you'd be an awful person for wearing them lol. Def highly recommend Nike Free for a beginner and then gradually work your way down to a zero heal to toe drop down the road if you don't want to compromise on form at all. Will feel natural once your feet get used to it. Innov-8's full line has options for the gradual process. But, tons of great shoes out there and at the end of the day, it can be like splitting hairs and some of us, like me, can become a shoe snob Those shoes would be fine in reality, but to be optimal, I'd go with advice above and from others here.

Good luck on your purchase!
Old 09-19-2012, 06:41 AM   #4
Matt B Johnson

Profile:

Why are the minimalistic shoes better for crossfit? I figured kind of a stiff sole would be good for support.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:44 AM   #5
Luke Conner

Profile:

You have more ground feel with minimal type shoes. This will also help with a lot of the movements, you have less control when you have a gigantic squishy soul and heel below you. Also minimal shoes are better for proper running form.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:07 AM   #6
Matt B Johnson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Conner View Post
You have more ground feel with minimal type shoes. This will also help with a lot of the movements, you have less control when you have a gigantic squishy soul and heel below you. Also minimal shoes are better for proper running form.
Gotcha... Last night I was doing the row machine and it killed me cause I kept getting my Asic running shoes stuck in them. It doesn't help that I wear an 11.5 but it also doesn't help to have all those rubber knobs sticking to the straps. I'll have to check out some of these other crossfitting shoes. Thanks again everyone for contributing and edumacating me
Old 09-19-2012, 09:35 AM   #7
Matt Holmer

Profile:

The New Balance MX20 is still my favorite all around shoe. I recently picked up a pair on Altra zero drop and really like them for longer running workouts. However, while they are zero drop, there still is padding which might make them unstable on some lifts.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:37 AM   #8
Patrick Quiambao

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Conner View Post
This is true, I started Crossfitting in Nike free trainers and I felt like I could not hold my balance. Moved up to a pair of INOV-8 195's and I love em, feels real solid.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:45 PM   #9
Richard Deyan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt B Johnson View Post
I just started doing crossfit and my running shoes are worn out. I probably won't have a bunch of different kinds of shoes and use this one pair for all of my workouts. Anyone have any opinions on the Salomon Crossmax shoes? They look like they would be decent for running and offer a firm base for lifts. Thanks
I think it really depends on how developed your foot is. Have you been running and working out in traditional kinds of running shoes for years? If you are and you switch to a minimal type shoe it could take a long time for your foot to strengthen while using them. It might be too much at once considering you will probably encounter WODs with double unders and jumping and that's really going to tax your feet.

Cushioned shoes that most people still run in are too high up and don't give a great feel of the ground for a lot of lifts like squats and o-lifts. It's impossible to push your feet out during a squat in those shoes without rolling an ankle and there's too much of a heel difference in something like OHS or snatches.

If that's the case then go with something minimalist that still offers some support and cushioning like innov-8 f230 or something. Last thing you want is an injury stemming from that or being so sore it hurts to walk around.

Onitsuka tigers are popular too. They have a raised heel but it's not as extreme as regular shoes and not 0-3mm like a lot of minimal shoes.