CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-12-2012, 04:24 PM   #1
Troy Kenshin

Profile:
Help me help my brother

Hey all,
My brother is a D1 lacrosse, and now during the offseason trains using crossfit football. he's 5'9-5'10 and around 175-180 and he's lean/muscular.

His problem is that he's showing signs of high cortisol which he very much wants to fix (groggy in the morning, and wired at night).
He said he started getting this problem as soon as he started drinking 1 cup of coffee in the morning (so you think he'd ditch it in solution right?).

However, he claims that as soon as he started doing 30-35 minute fasted morning walks with caffeine he became lean enough to get real defined abs for the first time. So, he really doesn't want to give it up.

I think the only way hed do so is if there was any legitimate evidence that caffeine doesn't have enough of an effect to get you 6-pack ripped or that he'd keep his leanness after stopping the caffeine. (he read that caffeine positively effects body comp and such).

That being said if he stops drinking the caffeine will he become less lean? i want to help him, but if i give him false info and he looses his desired leanness he'd get pretty mad at me.

Im aware this whole thread seems quite silly, but id really appreciate the help
Old 07-12-2012, 05:00 PM   #2
Dustin Wintczak

Profile:
Re: Help me help my brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Kenshin View Post
Hey all,
My brother is a D1 lacrosse, and now during the offseason trains using crossfit football. he's 5'9-5'10 and around 175-180 and he's lean/muscular.

His problem is that he's showing signs of high cortisol which he very much wants to fix (groggy in the morning, and wired at night).
He said he started getting this problem as soon as he started drinking 1 cup of coffee in the morning (so you think he'd ditch it in solution right?).

However, he claims that as soon as he started doing 30-35 minute fasted morning walks with caffeine he became lean enough to get real defined abs for the first time. So, he really doesn't want to give it up.

I think the only way hed do so is if there was any legitimate evidence that caffeine doesn't have enough of an effect to get you 6-pack ripped or that he'd keep his leanness after stopping the caffeine. (he read that caffeine positively effects body comp and such).

That being said if he stops drinking the caffeine will he become less lean? i want to help him, but if i give him false info and he looses his desired leanness he'd get pretty mad at me.

Im aware this whole thread seems quite silly, but id really appreciate the help
*Looks down at abs while slowly sipping on 4th cup of coffee for the day*.....Counts only two.

I know, I know...more of an emperical or qualitative conclusion but I imagine it's going to be hard to find a study like that. My guess is he probably "got lean" because he wasn't eating breakfast everyday and not making up for the caloric deficit any other way.

Last edited by Dustin Wintczak : 07-12-2012 at 05:04 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:14 PM   #3
Troy Kenshin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Wintczak View Post
*Looks down at abs while slowly sipping on 4th cup of coffee for the day*.....Counts only two.

I know, I know...more of an emperical or qualitative conclusion but I imagine it's going to be hard to find a study like that. My guess is he probably "got lean" because he wasn't eating breakfast everyday and not making up for the caloric deficit any other way.
he was still eating breakfast. he a has it at 8am every day, and he started doing the walk at 7am.
he claims that coffee is a potent fat burner though.... something about how it mobilizes fatty acids in the blood
Old 07-12-2012, 05:33 PM   #4
Vickie Ellickson

Profile:

It sounds like he knows everything he wants to know about caffeine.

Is he more concerned about the grogginess or teh abz?

(The solution may not be mutually exclusive to those two goals, just curious)
Old 07-15-2012, 03:17 PM   #5
Bob Herald

Profile:

Caffeine does provide a temporary fat burning effect, sorry to tell you. That is why it is included in popular ECA stacks for fat loss. One cup of coffee in the morning is likely not increasing cortisol in a young fit male. Groggy in the AM and wired at night sounds like every high school and college student I know.

Coffee in particular is a proven performance enhancer, antioxidant , and fat burner. In moderate doses, its good for you. Do some research.