CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-27-2012, 06:08 AM   #1
Troy Kenshin

Profile:
adding in isolation work. Need help with programming.

Before I get flamed for asking this, just take into account that my goals are mine and aesthetics is important to me. I currently do CFFB and though I've seen overall gains (I'm about 5'9 and 175-180, lean and well built) in fitness/ getting bigger I also want to get more development in my arms/chest area.
I know the general consensus is gain 10 lbs add 1in to the arms, but what I'm more so trying to go for is some BB Style isolation excerises for aesthetic purposes.

can anyone recommend recommend a two-day- a week Arm development program that i can do in conjunction with my current training. (Id be dropping 1-2 CFFB days).

Please don't reply with something criticizing my goals. Id very much appreciate if someone can point me in the right direction.
I've done a forum search before and all anyone really agreed on was close grip bench press/ hammer curls. But I'm trying to find a prescription for excerises, sets, and reps to make two training days dedicated towards this.

im conjunction i will still continue to gain muscle weight via diet, but i feel as if doing arm specific hypertrophy work while adding muscle wil help me reach my goals more so than just doing the Powerlifting style strength work I've been doing.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:18 AM   #2
Paulo Santos

Profile:
Re: adding in isolation work. Need help with programming.

I'd throw them in after your CFFB workouts. Things such as chest flies or cable flies for your chest, some dumbbell or preacher curls for your biceps, and Pushdowns for your triceps. Something like chest and triceps on two of the days and biceps and forearms on two other days.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:13 AM   #3
Mike Jenkins

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Kenshin View Post
Before I get flamed for asking this, just take into account that my goals are mine and aesthetics is important to me. I currently do CFFB and though I've seen overall gains (I'm about 5'9 and 175-180, lean and well built) in fitness/ getting bigger I also want to get more development in my arms/chest area.
I know the general consensus is gain 10 lbs add 1in to the arms, but what I'm more so trying to go for is some BB Style isolation excerises for aesthetic purposes.

can anyone recommend recommend a two-day- a week Arm development program that i can do in conjunction with my current training. (Id be dropping 1-2 CFFB days).

Please don't reply with something criticizing my goals. Id very much appreciate if someone can point me in the right direction.
I've done a forum search before and all anyone really agreed on was close grip bench press/ hammer curls. But I'm trying to find a prescription for excerises, sets, and reps to make two training days dedicated towards this.

im conjunction i will still continue to gain muscle weight via diet, but i feel as if doing arm specific hypertrophy work while adding muscle wil help me reach my goals more so than just doing the Powerlifting style strength work I've been doing.
I would be careful adding two days of arms to CFFB. It all depends on what you do that week but a number of those lifts/WODS already hit those areas pretty hard so more would not be better. In my opinion I would just try one day a week, OR maybe after your CFFB WOD and do some isolation stuff for biceps and triceps. I personally add triceps in after all my overhead and press accessory and the occasional bicep after my deadlifts and back work.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:16 AM   #4
Drew Preiss

Profile:

You also can super set couple of the isolation workouts such as chest to tricep then rest. Go heavy also. Or super set your biceps into triceps.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:43 AM   #5
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jenkins View Post
I would be careful adding two days of arms to CFFB. It all depends on what you do that week but a number of those lifts/WODS already hit those areas pretty hard so more would not be better. In my opinion I would just try one day a week, OR maybe after your CFFB WOD and do some isolation stuff for biceps and triceps. I personally add triceps in after all my overhead and press accessory and the occasional bicep after my deadlifts and back work.
considering that this gentlemen is one of the strongest men in the world, you should probably just listen to him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Jenkins_(strongman) (WFS)
Old 06-27-2012, 01:11 PM   #6
Troy Kenshin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jenkins View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Preiss View Post
You also can super set couple of the isolation workouts such as chest to tricep then rest. Go heavy also. Or super set your biceps into triceps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew N. Casey View Post
considering that this gentlemen is one of the strongest men in the world, you should probably just listen to him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Jenkins_(strongman) (WFS)
1) SO all that being said what would you guys recommend in the way or reps/sets/excerises if i were to throw it in 1 day per week as mike said.

2) Just watched a few strong man videos on youtube. And mike is ridiculous! (in a good way of course)
Old 06-27-2012, 02:52 PM   #7
Mike Jenkins

Profile:

As far as assistance stuff I personally dont go under 8 reps or over 12. Some of the things I do for assistance for triceps are floor press, DB skull crushers, barbell skull crushers and variations of pushdowns. For biceps, in my opinion I wouldnt worry too much about these, with all the pulling movements that you do in Crossfit you tax your biceps pretty good already, just like some of the movements I do, stones, deads, pulls ups, carries and arm over arm pulls. I will throw in some curls with an axle/fat bar or log, KBs attached to ropes which kills grip and forearms too. I usually do 3-4 sets with that rep scheme, however I personally train them and have my athletes do the same on different days. I wouldnt try to complicate things, 2 lifts max per muscle. Hope that helps! Like I always tell people, take my advice and most other peoples with a grain of salt. What works for some does not work for all, these are just some of the things I have found to work for myself and athletes I work with.