CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-24-2012, 02:08 PM   #1
Troy Kenshin

Profile:
Diet/ Nutrition critique.

Goals: increase muscle mass/ improve CF performance (for competitions)
Background: 5'9 150lbs, 6-7%bf
performance: 2.25xbw deadlift , 1.5xbw squat, .85bw press, 5m34s mile run, 7m24s 2k row, can do strict muscle ups

Pre workout: 20g bcaa, coffee

post workout (strength days):
50g whey protein (via nitrean)
25g dextrose (via at large nutritions ''results'')
5g creatine

post workout (long met con days):
25g whey protein
50g dextrose
5g creatine

breakfast:

8-12oz chicken or fish
1 large sweet potato (10-12oz)

lunch:
8-120z fish or meat (beef, bison, steak etc)
1 large white potato
salad/ mixed veg

Dinner:
8-12oz steak or bison
1 large sweet potato
salad/ mixed vegetables
dinner

calories are ~3000,
P/F/C- 200-225g, 75-100g, 230-250g
Old 03-24-2012, 02:13 PM   #2
Garrett Hines

Profile:
Re: Diet/ Nutrition critique.

question,

You said increase mass, I'm assuming you mean weight, what are you trying to get up to?

I'm also interested in what others think, I am almost I dentical in height/weight and have very similar goals like taking my weight up to 165 @ 7% bf.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:37 PM   #3
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Well, you've only gained 5lbs in the month since your last post, which isn't much seeing how you were probably 30-40lbs underweight to start with. Perhaps you should follow the advice about 10 of us have given you multiple times, which is to eat more.

You are currently the same weight you were when you started this thread (WFS) back in July. Why would you expect us to give you any different advice this time around?
Old 03-24-2012, 03:46 PM   #4
Troy Kenshin

Profile:

i actually did not mean to write increase mass... I'm not really sure why i said that. i do have to stay within 146-155lbs for fighting ( I'm a light weight) , which is an aside as I'm taking some time off from that due to a concussion. so in the meanwhile I'm doing cf comps.

so in regards to what i intended, is the diet good from a performance standpoint, assuming i want to stay within the desired weight range (or my coach will not be happy) and still increase strength/endurnace. so far I've been making good gains, but I'm wondering if the could be better. in terms of quantity when you say eat more do you not think the amount I'm consuming now is sufficent?
Old 03-24-2012, 04:31 PM   #5
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Kenshin View Post
so in regards to what i intended, is the diet good from a performance standpoint, assuming i want to stay within the desired weight range (or my coach will not be happy) and still increase strength/endurnace.
You're eating more protein than you need and not enough carbohydrate, so the best thing you could do would be eat 100g less protein per day and 100g more carbohydrate. This would increase glycogen stores providing more energy for training with only a small increase in weight due to water retention, which you could lose quite easily before weigh in then regain before the fight.

Last edited by Darryl Shaw : 03-24-2012 at 04:36 PM.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:18 PM   #6
Garrett Hines

Profile:

Ok I am by no means a dietitian, and I'm new to crossfit/paleo, but if you increase your calories by at least 500g, and all of that increase comes from carbs like fruit and veggies you would most likely get a boost in energy. My experience has taught me that getting my carbs from veggies and fruit I get way more energy.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:15 PM   #7
Joey Shishineh

Profile:

Troy, I am glad you have all of this down to a science. That is step 1. Based on your height/weight and performance, we are very similar and sounds like we have the same goals - CF competition. This might make my advice somewhat more helpful than just, "EAT MORE BRO!" (not that it will be more credible...)

My first recommendation is for you to get some protein/carbs before you work out. 1hour before the WOD usually sits well for most people, including myself. Play around with this, but eat something... Even just making your shake 50% bigger and just drinking that portion beforehand would be good.

Secondly, I am not sure how you are getting 75-100g fat per day...unless all the meat you eat is very fatty. Maybe throw in an avocado or coconut milk to get more fats. You could even make your breakfast: eggs, bacon, and oatmeal if you wanted so you aren't eating the same thing EVERY meal.

Any fish oils for you? I think the current 'recommended' dosage is 2-3g of combined EPA/DHA. (note 2g fish oil doesn't always equal 2g epa/dha, so pay close attention to that).
Old 03-25-2012, 07:45 AM   #8
Troy Kenshin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Shishineh View Post
Troy, I am glad you have all of this down to a science. That is step 1. Based on your height/weight and performance, we are very similar and sounds like we have the same goals - CF competition. This might make my advice somewhat more helpful than just, "EAT MORE BRO!" (not that it will be more credible...)

My first recommendation is for you to get some protein/carbs before you work out. 1hour before the WOD usually sits well for most people, including myself. Play around with this, but eat something... Even just making your shake 50% bigger and just drinking that portion beforehand would be good.

Secondly, I am not sure how you are getting 75-100g fat per day...unless all the meat you eat is very fatty. Maybe throw in an avocado or coconut milk to get more fats. You could even make your breakfast: eggs, bacon, and oatmeal if you wanted so you aren't eating the same thing EVERY meal.

Any fish oils for you? I think the current 'recommended' dosage is 2-3g of combined EPA/DHA. (note 2g fish oil doesn't always equal 2g epa/dha, so pay close attention to that).
ill try that and just make my shake a bit bigger to get some pre wo food. bc i can't handle training with real food in my stomach and i train at 6am so waking up earlier that 5 to eat real food isn't an option.

i rotate meats / foods so i don't eat the same thing day to day ever, in order to avoid developing food intolerances. but for the most part i do try to get the fattier cuts of meat too.

i didn't write my supplements but i get a total of 5g of EPA/DHA a day via 6 fish oil pills which each have 500 epa 250 dha
Old 03-25-2012, 08:00 AM   #9
Troy Kenshin

Profile:

and assuming I'm getting enough calorie, protein and carbs, how important is it to add fats such as oils/ avocados/ nuts to my diet if I'm eating fattier cuts of meat etc. nuts tear up my stomach, and oils gross me out pretty bad