CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-24-2011, 03:06 AM   #11
Graeme Moore

Profile:
Re: Paleo BM issues/ fiber

You can also try drinking peppermint tea, couple of cups a day.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:15 AM   #12
Burt Alcantara

Profile:

A while back I posted a similar problem. I've been constipated for over 40 years and have tried almost everything. One thing that I've found is Natural Calm, a magnesium supplement available thru most health stores and Amazon. This works for me about 75% of the time. The other thing that works is eating tons of fruit. Not just berries, but everything in sight.

My wife and I eat the same diet (I do all the cooking). She has no problem in the bathroom to the point where she can't keep weight on. I can gain just thinking about it. We eat 75% fresh vegs with little white starch carbs (a small red potato between the two of us blended into cauliflower).

Water has no effect on my constipation, nor does the amount of vegs I consume. Only thing I've found that works consistently is Natural Calm. Somethime I take Milk of Mag caps but they don't work as well as the Natural Calm. (No, I don't work for them).
Old 12-27-2011, 12:44 PM   #13
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

In the periods when I have low-carbed, meaning I ate meat, fish, eggs and vegetables (no potatoes or high starches).... I would have the most quick, effortless, frequent, odorless poops ever. Sounds funny, but yeah, odorless, as other people would walk into the restroom right after I "finished" and I actually told them I had just pooped and they were like "oh, didn't notice". I have known these people for years though. Don't try these experiment with strangers. It's not my fault if someone thinks you're rude for telling them that.

During those periods I think I ended up eating roughly 65% fat 30% protein 5% carbs. Best poopin' of my life.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:37 PM   #14
Evan Peikon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo Garcia View Post
In the periods when I have low-carbed, meaning I ate meat, fish, eggs and vegetables (no potatoes or high starches).... I would have the most quick, effortless, frequent, odorless poops ever. Sounds funny, but yeah, odorless, as other people would walk into the restroom right after I "finished" and I actually told them I had just pooped and they were like "oh, didn't notice". I have known these people for years though. Don't try these experiment with strangers. It's not my fault if someone thinks you're rude for telling them that.

During those periods I think I ended up eating roughly 65% fat 30% protein 5% carbs. Best poopin' of my life.
why did you stop eating like that? did it affect performance, was it inconvient etc? because I've heard of people who perform amazing on high fat/low carb and people who did vice versa
Old 12-28-2011, 07:14 AM   #15
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Peikon View Post
why did you stop eating like that? did it affect performance, was it inconvient etc? because I've heard of people who perform amazing on high fat/low carb and people who did vice versa
If I'm gonna be 100% honest with you: I was feeling GREAT eating like this. Healthy and energetic and like I could go on forever with this lifestyle. My choice to quit had nothing to do with unsustainability.

I wanted to do a Linear Progression program... I feel into the entire "gotta get HYUGE" thing, this was late last year, and I decided I'd put on at least 30-40 pounds. I tried, at first, eating like this, plus olive oil and coconut oil shots with each meal... and I was in fact losing a bit of weight. I tried adding some root starches like sweet potatoes in PWO meals... and I was still losing weight in spite of eating what felt like SO much. I was afraid I'd stall early on my progression so I changed to "eat everything in site", which got me bigger and stronger... but much fatter. 30# later I was happy with the PR's in every lift, but unhappy with the growth of my spare tyre. Needless to say: I'd NEVER recommend this "bulking" method to anyone but a "hardgainer", meaning, a naturally lean/skinny person. Which is not me.

Now I've spent over 6 months trying to get rid of the fat, and I just have not succeeded completely. Of course, I had not tried low-carbing until about 1-2 weeks ago. I tried everything out there. From Mauro Dipasquale's diet to IF'ing with carbs on PWO meals.... but I just don't lean out if I eat carbs. It's a sad but true fact. I've been experimenting with myself for nearly 6 years (6 years ago I lost 70# of weight while low-carbing, and have stayed relatively in shape ever since! ).

After so much failure... after REALLY trying to convince myself that carbs aren't evil and so many people do great on them... I just wont lean out on them, no matter how clean I eat (and believe me, I can eat VERY clean, for VERY long... I don't even remember the last time I had a sweet, I just don't ever crave them even if you wave them in front of my nose).

With all this experimenting, at least I found I could maintain with the carbs. And not just tubers: white rice seemed to be digested even better with meat than tubers did! Which is great news. BUT.... I wouldn't lean out this way.

So my plan seemed obvious: I have to do what I know works. I'll lean out low-carbing, and THEN re-introduce these carbs, now knowing I can maintain on them. Who knows, maybe I'll even keep leaning out. I have this new theory that carbs are good IF (this is a big IF) your metabolism is healthy. Once you're carrying in excess of X amount of fat, or if your hormones are screwed enough.... then yeah, carbs are to be avoided. Once those levels are brought back to normal or close to.... maybe then I'll lean out with the carbs. This sounds logical judging by the people who leaned on low-carb but never completely, and after cheat meals and the like, resumed progress. It might have to do with Leptin and whatnot. I'm tired of reading on this stuff. I just know this is what I'll do...low-carb till I'm relatively lean, then add carbs back. I don't ever get ANY of the reported downsides of low-carbing. If anything, I feel much better in every single aspect (including bowel movements, hahhah). Maybe I was born to eat this way, who knows. But just so the carb-police don't get scared... I do plan to add carbs eventually again, just for variety in the meals.

Sorry for the long answer.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:47 AM   #16
Troy Kenshin

Profile:

Quote:
If I'm gonna be 100% honest with you: I was feeling GREAT eating like this. Healthy and energetic and like I could go on forever with this lifestyle. My choice to quit had nothing to do with unsustainability.

I wanted to do a Linear Progression program... I feel into the entire "gotta get HYUGE" thing, this was late last year, and I decided I'd put on at least 30-40 pounds. I tried, at first, eating like this, plus olive oil and coconut oil shots with each meal... and I was in fact losing a bit of weight. I tried adding some root starches like sweet potatoes in PWO meals... and I was still losing weight in spite of eating what felt like SO much. I was afraid I'd stall early on my progression so I changed to "eat everything in site", which got me bigger and stronger... but much fatter. 30# later I was happy with the PR's in every lift, but unhappy with the growth of my spare tyre. Needless to say: I'd NEVER recommend this "bulking" method to anyone but a "hardgainer", meaning, a naturally lean/skinny person. Which is not me.

Now I've spent over 6 months trying to get rid of the fat, and I just have not succeeded completely. Of course, I had not tried low-carbing until about 1-2 weeks ago. I tried everything out there. From Mauro Dipasquale's diet to IF'ing with carbs on PWO meals.... but I just don't lean out if I eat carbs. It's a sad but true fact. I've been experimenting with myself for nearly 6 years (6 years ago I lost 70# of weight while low-carbing, and have stayed relatively in shape ever since! ).

After so much failure... after REALLY trying to convince myself that carbs aren't evil and so many people do great on them... I just wont lean out on them, no matter how clean I eat (and believe me, I can eat VERY clean, for VERY long... I don't even remember the last time I had a sweet, I just don't ever crave them even if you wave them in front of my nose).

With all this experimenting, at least I found I could maintain with the carbs. And not just tubers: white rice seemed to be digested even better with meat than tubers did! Which is great news. BUT.... I wouldn't lean out this way.

So my plan seemed obvious: I have to do what I know works. I'll lean out low-carbing, and THEN re-introduce these carbs, now knowing I can maintain on them. Who knows, maybe I'll even keep leaning out. I have this new theory that carbs are good IF (this is a big IF) your metabolism is healthy. Once you're carrying in excess of X amount of fat, or if your hormones are screwed enough.... then yeah, carbs are to be avoided. Once those levels are brought back to normal or close to.... maybe then I'll lean out with the carbs. This sounds logical judging by the people who leaned on low-carb but never completely, and after cheat meals and the like, resumed progress. It might have to do with Leptin and whatnot. I'm tired of reading on this stuff. I just know this is what I'll do...low-carb till I'm relatively lean, then add carbs back. I don't ever get ANY of the reported downsides of low-carbing. If anything, I feel much better in every single aspect (including bowel movements, hahhah). Maybe I was born to eat this way, who knows. But just so the carb-police don't get scared... I do plan to add carbs eventually again, just for variety in the meals.

Sorry for the long answer.
did you add fat(via oil, butter etc) to your meals while eating that low carb/ can you post a sample day? also how much carbs did you get via vegetables etc/ approx how many calories
Old 12-28-2011, 08:18 AM   #17
David Fletcher

Profile:

Quote:

I wanted to do a Linear Progression program... I feel into the entire "gotta get HYUGE" thing, this was late last year, and I decided I'd put on at least 30-40 pounds. I tried, at first, eating like this, plus olive oil and coconut oil shots with each meal... and I was in fact losing a bit of weight. I tried adding some root starches like sweet potatoes in PWO meals... and I was still losing weight
My exact same experience. Ate 5000+ calories every day for about three weeks and lost two pounds. Decided to end the experiment there.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:20 AM   #18
Evan Peikon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Fletcher View Post
My exact same experience. Ate 5000+ calories every day for about three weeks and lost two pounds. Decided to end the experiment there.
how much carbs were you eating/ how did you feel/ how any cals before that?
i can't imagine anyone on any training program eating 5000+ and losing weight
Old 12-28-2011, 09:18 AM   #19
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Peikon View Post
how much carbs were you eating/ how did you feel/ how any cals before that?
i can't imagine anyone on any training program eating 5000+ and losing weight
When I started that experiment, late November 2010, I was about 180# and started Justin Lascek's program, 4 days a week with 3 days rest. Only two of the 4 days had metcons. I actually revived my fitday account (unused for years) and made absolutely SURE I was getting 4000 calories. Olive Oil and Coconut Oil by the tablespoons at each meal to make sure of this. And as I said, I was losing weight.... the fear of "stalling" during the Linear Progression was so big that I ditched that way of eating and started eating like a maniac. Got bigger/stronger/FATTER quickly. I must point out I have a deskjob and was very inactive outside of the 4 weekly training sessions, so I figured 4,000kcal was more than enough.

Troy: to answer your question, I don't count macros, not anymore. I just know from past experience (2008 perhaps) that I felt great when fat ended up at about 60-70%, carbs usually sub-10% and protein being the rest (so 25-30% maybe).

Now I just eyeball it. I'm not gonna count carbs from veggies, I figure if all my carbs come from veggies I might as well eat a lot of them so I do, and don't exclude carrots for example. Avocados either. If a certain meal seems too lean (read, not fatty meat), then I make sure the salad is drenched in a ton of olive oil. Hell I might quickly sip a tablespoon of olive oil or coconut oil on top of that meal.

I have a slight suspicion that those who fail on low-carb do so because they also eat relatively low-fat. You know, years of "fearing the fat" and hearing "fat clogs your arteries". If you're gonna Low-Carb on chicken breast and tuna cans.... you'll fail, almost certainly. I add butter to some steamed veggies that taste better with butter than olive oil. I'm not one of those crazy "eat all the bacon in the world" proponents, but have a couple of oz every morning with several eggs (with yolks). Just eat fatty stuff and it all takes care of itself, mostly. Nuts/seeds seem to help if ingesting enough fat is a problem, but I don't eat that many of those.

Eating truly low-carb defies the age-old debate of calories-in vs. calories-out IMO. I don't know why, but in my experience, it does, at least to a certain degree.

Troy, by the way, I just saw in another thread you're 5'9" and 130#? Is this true? If so, why do you wanna know what I did? I haven't weighed 130# since I was like 12. I've been between 170-210 for close to the past 6 years. About 190# currently. You sound pretty skinny. Low-carbing all week long might not be your best bet.

EDIT: I want to add that I haven't low-carbed at all in 2011.... until about 2 weeks ago when I decided enough was enough. I just don't lean out with carbs, this has been my conclusion, and I don't care to hear anyone telling me I did something wrong. I lean out great on low-carb so I'm back it... now at least I have a different plan than before... instead of just attempting to low-carb for life, I'll get lean(ish), or low-carb till progress stops, andthen, instead of being dumb and trying to reduce calories, adding extra HIIT workouts or anything crazy like that... I'll just add some carbs when I stall, and see what happens. I guess I can't get enough of experimenting on myself...

Last edited by Arturo Garcia : 12-28-2011 at 09:22 AM.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:16 PM   #20
Troy Kenshin

Profile:

not 130, i hadn't weighed myself in awhile when i posted that few days ago. apparently I'm 142~. anyway i have a question as i want to experiment with the vlc a bit. I cut my carbs down to 30ish. and upped my calories to about 2600 a day and started eating fattier meats, butter, and evoo. the strange part is though that I'm always hungry now. ill literarily eat a meal and an hour later feel starved.
for example i had a pound of pork roast for dinner with butter, and evoo on it plus a mixed green salad and right after i was hungry again.

can anyone help me figure out what I'm doing wrong. I'm not sure if i need to eat more or if my body just needs to adjust for awhile first. and FWIW I'm sticking to eating like this for 30 days as an experiment after reading mat lalondes ''crossfit on a low carb diet'' so before anyone tells me not to its already decided and help/advice would be appreciated.