CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-19-2012, 07:19 AM   #1
Kent Ostbye

Profile:
Struggling with handstands

Hi,

I have just started with Crossfit, currently learning the basics @ my garage gym since I don't have an Crossfit affiliate/box in my town or nearby. I'm planning joining a affiliate/box this summer when I move to another town.

As my title says I struggle with handstands, It is kind of embarrassing, but I got a mental block or something and struggle to get up in handstand position, even against a wall I struggle and need help to get up. I got the strength, but I can't seem to remove this mental block by myself

I have done skydiving and other fun/scary stuff, but doing handstand is an unusual position for me to be in, since I never have done gymnastics (only soccer and strengthtraing) or played along doing somersaults in 15 years.

Someone out there got any tips for how I can break the barrier?
Old 01-19-2012, 09:07 AM   #2
Minnie Leós

Profile:
Re: Struggling with handstands

Well you could start doing headstands against a wall with a pillow under your head. When that turns easy you could try a half handstand, so you "stand" on your elbows and use your hands to get balance. Hehe it´s a little difficult to describe this in words :P I hope you get it
Old 01-19-2012, 09:10 AM   #3
Minnie Leós

Profile:

Half headstand like this, but you dont rest on your head:

http://www.hushyoga.com/wp-content/u...4/DSCF0460.jpg

Last edited by Minnie Leós : 01-19-2012 at 09:13 AM.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:12 AM   #4
Aaron Brozon

Profile:

You could also try using a plyobox or bench. Put your feet or knees on the box/bench and then walk your hand toward the box. You should end up in a pike position. This could also help with HSPU if youre struggling with those.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:01 PM   #5
Omar Chavez

Profile:

I also have problems with HSPU but mostly because I don't have the upper body strength but also because of my form.

I asked one of the coaches and he mentioned two try the following things:

1. Get as close as you can to a wall and due a wall walk-up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsOkERtPdQ0 SFW

2. Once you feel comfortable doing that, you can add shoulder touches to the movement.

3. Also try a modified version with the "box" technique.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vlzb1BBA9t4 - SFW

Try doing that everyday and that should help you build your strength and loose your fear.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:12 PM   #6
Joss Brown

Profile:

Start with the frogstand and work up.

http://www.lostartofhandbalancing.com/quick-start/ <----good video

The guy in this explains that the handstand is actually quite a hard technique. You can't expect yourself to do it right off the bat without working your way from the bottom.

Stick at it.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:38 PM   #7
Jennifer Murray

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Ostbye View Post
Hi,

I have just started with Crossfit, currently learning the basics @ my garage gym since I don't have an Crossfit affiliate/box in my town or nearby. I'm planning joining a affiliate/box this summer when I move to another town.

As my title says I struggle with handstands, It is kind of embarrassing, but I got a mental block or something and struggle to get up in handstand position, even against a wall I struggle and need help to get up. I got the strength, but I can't seem to remove this mental block by myself

I have done skydiving and other fun/scary stuff, but doing handstand is an unusual position for me to be in, since I never have done gymnastics (only soccer and strengthtraing) or played along doing somersaults in 15 years.

Someone out there got any tips for how I can break the barrier?
If it's the mental block that you are having troubles with them use imagry. Picture yourself doing the handstand "in your mind's eye"; believe that you can do it and then DO IT! You are strong enough and have enough agility to do it. Believe it and you'll do the handstand.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:31 PM   #8
Mara Rozitis

Profile:

Personally I found it very helpful to:
(a) Try my hardest to kick into a handstand against the wall while someone is helping me get the rest of the way up. This gives the feel of it and you realize just how hard you have to throw yourself up there.
(b) KEEP YOUR ARMS/SHOULDERS LOCKED OUT AT ALL TIMES. This will avoid any unpleasant accidents. Once you do get up, hold it for as long as possible. This will help acclimatize you to being upside down.
(c) Do wall walks. Yes, the wall walks help a great deal. You don't have to go all the way up for them to be helpful. Focus on maintaining core stability throughout. If you start to have trouble holding the position, walk back down.
(d) Watch videos of people doing the kick up. I don't do it the same as most people. I start with my hands by the wall in a pike position with legs in a lunge-like position. No walking into it. That scares me too much.

This is coming from a former quite fat, out-of-shape, never done gymnastics and won't even go on upside-down rides at the fair woman. You can definitely do it. You just have to find what works for you. Best of luck!
Old 01-24-2012, 12:38 AM   #9
Jay Uno

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mara Rozitis View Post
(b) KEEP YOUR ARMS/SHOULDERS LOCKED OUT AT ALL TIMES. This will avoid any unpleasant accidents. Once you do get up, hold it for as long as possible. This will help acclimatize you to being upside down.
This is what I did. I found it easy to do a HSPU but I would fall almost every rep and even before every rep. Then I would just concentrate on getting up into position and just held it as long as possible. Rest, then repeat. Now I can do 15 unbroken against the wall.
Now I just need to learn how to do handstand walks...
Old 01-24-2012, 01:55 AM   #10
Steve Loeding

Profile:

Well, I sucked at handstands against the wall too so I know where you're coming from. Here's what helped me.

First, I put my hands down, got really tight in the arms / shoulders and then kicked up - didn't make it (mental block just like you). Well, after getting frustrated at being a py I realized I wasn't going to fall over, so get my dang legs up there and kicked as hard as I could. Boom - up !!!

Keys from someone who is not gymnastically inclined -

realize you're not going over
get tight, stay tight
get hands about 6-12 inches from the wall
as you're going up, don't look at the ground, but focus on something across the room
stay tight !!
Practice every day - tell yourself 5 handstands of 5 seconds each - increase the time in the hold each time - the more you are exposed to a stimulus, the more likely you are to conquer it.