CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 08-18-2011, 05:31 PM   #1
Todd Phillips

Profile:
struggling to figure this out

Basically my goal is to improve at Ultimate Frisbee and be strong and fit. I'm old, fat and slow so I thought strength training would help me turn those last two factors around..

Ive been doing a variety of Lascek 70's Big since late May (except for a week of vacation) and have gained some strength, but I've also gained weight.. I'm afraid to check the scale lately but fear I am pushing 200 now.. I am 5'11" and was a steady 180lbs for about 2 years prior to starting the program... I am outgrowing my clothes and feel like it's getting out of control.. I don't know if it's the weight or the constantly tired legs or both, but I am sucking @$$ out there on the Ultimate field lately..

I need to fix this.. What should I do? I've read a little about GSLP here lately. Would that work better for me or would 531 be better? I've got to shed some of these pounds but don't want to stop getting stronger.. I don't care how fast i get stronger but just want to be doing the best I can without gaining weight..

If I chose to try GSLP, culd I do it without the neck harnesses? I can't buy more gear right now...

Here's my current schedule...
Monday: Squat 5 reps x 3 sets, Press 5 x 3, Chins/Pull ups 3 sets max reps
Tuesday: Ultimate Frisbee (at night)
Wednesday: Power Clean 3 reps x 5 sets, Dips 3 sets max reps (lately have been skipping this because I am too tired and sore)
Thursday: Ultimate Frisbee (at night)
Friday: Squat 5x3 sets, Bench Press 5x3sets, Dips 3 sets max reps (this workout is always hard because I am sore from Thursday Frisbee)
Saturday: Dead lift 5 x 1, Pulls/Chin Ups 3 sets max reps, Conditioning
Sunday: Rest

Here and here are my previous threads about my development.. both WFS
Old 08-18-2011, 05:40 PM   #2
Todd Phillips

Profile:
Re: struggling to figure this out

Oh and here are my 5RM work sets:

When I started in late May:
SQ 100
PR 80
PC 90
DL 160
BP 140

Now:
SQ 170
PR 95
PC 95
DL 210
BP 185

I also haven't yet figured out when I am supposed to rest/deload.. I've basically only rested on two workout days so far.. I did this Monday just because I was feeling so wiped out... Even with 10% off my 5RM's it was really tough..
Old 08-18-2011, 06:28 PM   #3
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Is your conditioning suffering? I'd also check out the Conjugate CrossFit. It is two ME days and three Metcons a week.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:54 PM   #4
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Phillips View Post
Basically my goal is to improve at Ultimate Frisbee and be strong and fit. I'm old, fat and slow so I thought strength training would help me turn those last two factors around..

Ive been doing a variety of Lascek 70's Big since late May (except for a week of vacation) and have gained some strength, but I've also gained weight.. I'm afraid to check the scale lately but fear I am pushing 200 now.. I am 5'11" and was a steady 180lbs for about 2 years prior to starting the program... I am outgrowing my clothes and feel like it's getting out of control.. I don't know if it's the weight or the constantly tired legs or both, but I am sucking @$$ out there on the Ultimate field lately..

I need to fix this.. What should I do? I've read a little about GSLP here lately. Would that work better for me or would 531 be better? I've got to shed some of these pounds but don't want to stop getting stronger.. I don't care how fast i get stronger but just want to be doing the best I can without gaining weight..

If I chose to try GSLP, culd I do it without the neck harnesses? I can't buy more gear right now...

Here's my current schedule...
Monday: Squat 5 reps x 3 sets, Press 5 x 3, Chins/Pull ups 3 sets max reps
Tuesday: Ultimate Frisbee (at night)
Wednesday: Power Clean 3 reps x 5 sets, Dips 3 sets max reps (lately have been skipping this because I am too tired and sore)
Thursday: Ultimate Frisbee (at night)
Friday: Squat 5x3 sets, Bench Press 5x3sets, Dips 3 sets max reps (this workout is always hard because I am sore from Thursday Frisbee)
Saturday: Dead lift 5 x 1, Pulls/Chin Ups 3 sets max reps, Conditioning
Sunday: Rest

Here and here are my previous threads about my development.. both WFS
Eat slightly less, and swap one of your lifting sessions for conditioning.... win.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:55 PM   #5
Todd Phillips

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Santos View Post
Is your conditioning suffering? I'd also check out the Conjugate CrossFit. It is two ME days and three Metcons a week.
My conditioning right now is just the Frisbee two days a week and like I said, it's suffering. I used to do more conditioning on the weekends also, but I've been too wiped out lately..

The issue for me doing any CF is that I don't have the necessary CF gear and don't have the budget to attend a box to learn.. But I will check Conjugate out anyway thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Roth View Post
Eat slightly less, and swap one of your lifting sessions for conditioning.... win.
Thanks.. I think it's my schedule that makes it hard trying to keep up the Frisbee on T and TH.. I can't space things out enough.. In theory I should be able to do conditioning on Saturdays and still do the deadlifts, but I am not there in reality because the week is weighing on me and I need more recovery time.. I've basically given up the power cleans on Wednesdays already because I've been too sore.. hmm
Old 08-19-2011, 08:40 AM   #6
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

I'm calling friendly BS. Something is missing.

I'm guessing you have gained 5 lbs. of muscles at most. That says you put on 15 lbs. of fat. That comes from your diet.

While your strength numbers are heading in the right direction you are starting at such a low level you shouldn't be struggling to recover between lifting sessions. Recovery issues are much more common with intermediate lifters then novices.

So here is a list of question.

Any medical issues? Do you take any prescription drugs?

What are you really eating?

What are you really drinking? How much alcohol?

Do you smoke anything?

How many hours of sleep do you get a night and a week? Is it quality? Any babies in the house?

How many hours do you work a week? What about travel time to work?

After you answer these it is fairly easy to adjust your training to better fit your goals. Adjust lifting to two days a week, Ultimate 2 days, 1 Met-con in 20 to 30 minutes range, 2 rest days. Monday should be a rest day to help legs feel fresh for Ultimate. Squatting could be pushed back until you have already played the two days of Ultimate. You may benefit going to an 8 or 9 day program. Ultimate is fixed nights but the rest can be moved around. Don't box in your training to a 7 day schedual. The human body doesn't run by a 7 day week.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:40 AM   #7
Todd Phillips

Profile:

@Brendan... You're right.. I was exaggerating about the weight.. I haven't been on the scale, but I doubt I am actually up to 200.. I just fear that.. I start to freak a bit because of the weight gain, especially when the clothes keep getting slightly more tight every week..

I didn't say that my recovery is suffering from the lifting.. I feel like it's from the Frisbee. With my squat days going the day before and the day after Frisbee, it's just hard that way... I really like what you said about not boxing into a 7 day schedule. If I can figure that out, I think that's the real fix to my sitch...

As far as your questions..

- No medical issues or drugs except that I get gall stone attacks if I eat too much fat so I eat as low fat as i can..
- I eat clean.. Pretty high carb, but it's all whole foods.. No processed high glycemic crap at all.. The carbs are fruit, brown rice, sweet potatoes..
- No alcohol at all...
- 5 kids... I am up pretty late and up pretty early.. Usually get around 7 hours sleep.. Wish it could be more..
- I work a lot of hours, but it's all sitting at the computer.. I work from home a lot but when I commute to the office (some weeks I have to commute three days a week), it's a long commute (1.5 hours each way)...

Thanks so much Brendan.. You've given me great food for thought...
Old 08-19-2011, 10:08 AM   #8
Todd Phillips

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan McNamar View Post
Adjust lifting to two days a week, Ultimate 2 days, 1 Met-con in 20 to 30 minutes range, 2 rest days. Monday should be a rest day to help legs feel fresh for Ultimate. Squatting could be pushed back until you have already played the two days of Ultimate. You may benefit going to an 8 or 9 day program. Ultimate is fixed nights but the rest can be moved around. Don't box in your training to a 7 day schedual. The human body doesn't run by a 7 day week.
Maybe M/W/F should be either rest days, or days that don't stress the legs? Maybe Fridays I do just bench press? But then that only leaves me Saturday and Sunday for the rest of the lifts... Is it ok to cram SQ/DL/PC into two straight days? I guess so.. I can't figure out what an 8 or 9 day program looks like with the locked Frisbee schedule..
Old 08-19-2011, 11:29 AM   #9
John Galovic

Profile:

Todd, you say "pretty high carb", do you monitor the exact amount? I would just be guessing, but would have to say this is your problem. Get rid of(or moderate) those carbs and you will see a dramatic difference. Right from the mainsite(rule #6), "with high carb diets you either get weak or fat".
Old 08-19-2011, 11:56 AM   #10
Todd Phillips

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galovic View Post
Todd, you say "pretty high carb", do you monitor the exact amount? I would just be guessing, but would have to say this is your problem. Get rid of(or moderate) those carbs and you will see a dramatic difference. Right from the mainsite(rule #6), "with high carb diets you either get weak or fat".
No, I don't monitor exact amounts... I won't argue either, and will have to consider this, but I am eating the same way I ate for almost two years and didn't gain any weight.. I was a steady 180lbs doing P90X and Insanity videos and Frisbee.. I must be eating more now, but it just doesn't seem to be 10/15 pounds worth... Thanks