CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-02-2009, 02:35 PM   #1
Ronen Turkel Gottlib

Profile:
Struggling to stay in there

I have been doing CF for almost a year now and two weeks ago I switched to CF strength bias and started the Zone too.

I am a m/36/176.3/5'9", body fat percentage is about 16% and I am taking 17 blocks as 5,1,5,1,5 a day.

Usually I am practicing rather late at around 2100-2200, and only after workout I do dinner. So my biggest challenge is to pass quite a few hours (usually 10 hours) hanging there only on 1 block between the big meals.

Today I almost gave up after failing in every squat rep I tried and this with weight I used to be able to push couple of weeks ago. I finished the day completely energy drained, unfocused and having hard time to concentrate.

I know that the first couple of weeks are hard, but I need something to help me boost back my performance.

Before falling off the wagon, does anyone have any tips?

Ronen.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:48 PM   #2
Jonathan Slater

Profile:
Re: Struggling to stay in there

Eat more. If you have no energy, but your diet is good, then it stands to reason you don't have enough fuel.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:54 PM   #3
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronen Turkel Gottlib View Post
Usually I am practicing rather late at around 2100-2200, and only after workout I do dinner. So my biggest challenge is to pass quite a few hours (usually 10 hours) hanging there only on 1 block between the big meals.
Why are you doing that to yourself? 10 hours between meals is too long, especially if there's a workout in between. Pull more food into that pre-workout snack.

You may also need to eat more overall, but I'd play with the distribution before upping the amounts.

Katherine
Old 07-02-2009, 02:57 PM   #4
Ronen Turkel Gottlib

Profile:

Thanks Jonathan.

Ill try to go up to 18 blocks a day and add another snack before dinner.

However, in order to stay accurate and efficient, how can I tell that I am not eating too much?

Ronen
Old 07-03-2009, 01:25 AM   #5
Ben Knowles

Profile:

I'm not sure eating an extra block is required, you can just shift more into that afternoon snack, say 4,1,4,4,4.

Also, it seems that you're getting breakfast, morning snack and lunch in by about midday. I would suggest that you're not getting enough rest, not to mention the fact that sleep will be impaired somewhat by going to bed shortly after a 5 block meal.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:09 PM   #6
Ronen Turkel Gottlib

Profile:

I guess I'll try Katherine's and Ben's advices before adding a block.

Ben, You are so very right with the rest assumption. I do luck a proper rest and sleep at night, but that's thanks to my young baby girl.

Since usually when I go to work out is only after the kids are in bed, at around 8:30PPM, I might try to set my zone partitions to 4,1,4,4,1,(work out),3. That might do the trick with the close to bedtime eating.

A Shekel for your thoughts….
Old 07-04-2009, 06:15 AM   #7
Brett Dartt

Profile:

i IF but when im know im going to do a heavy day i eat before if its been over 10 or 12 hours. i just got tired of failing reps or going backwards. and if theres a METCON as well then i try to make it a couple of hours before.
Old 07-04-2009, 06:16 AM   #8
Brett Dartt

Profile:

Quote:

However, in order to stay accurate and efficient, how can I tell that I am not eating too much?

Ronen
you wont get fat
Old 07-04-2009, 06:52 AM   #9
Carlos Cristan

Profile:

Quote:
I guess I'll try Katherine's and Ben's advices before adding a block.

Ben, You are so very right with the rest assumption. I do luck a proper rest and sleep at night, but that's thanks to my young baby girl.

Since usually when I go to work out is only after the kids are in bed, at around 8:30PPM, I might try to set my zone partitions to 4,1,4,4,1,(work out),3. That might do the trick with the close to bedtime eating.

A Shekel for your thoughts….
Maybe if you redistribute your blocks like this 4, 4, 2, 4, 3. Eat your 4 block dinner around 6PM/630PM and this will give you plenty of time for digestion, and your maybe eating enough blocks after your workout to sustain yourself until breakfast depending on what time you eat breakfast. I get up pretty early for PT(military) so I do 2, 4, 4, 4, 2. 2 block snack around 5 am, breakfast around 830 lunch around 1230 dinner around 1700 and snack around 2130.