CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2013, 01:40 AM   #41
Chris Jones
Member Chris Jones is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Charlotte  NC
Posts: 790
Re: Bowed Legs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley James Thompson View Post
Care to explain?
too much red meat?
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:34 AM   #42
Jeff Enge
Banned Jeff Enge is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Collinsville  IL
Posts: 5,542
Re: Bowed Legs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley James Thompson View Post
Do I need to have a structural injury to have pain? I haven't injured my knees in years. Maybe my back. Maybe my shoulders, but my knees have simply been on a persistent downward slope. No injury ever, except for a partial tear to the left quad tendon, which was repaired. 7 years ago.
In short, yes. Knees dont just go "on a persistant downward slope" if they are structurally sound. I know you mentioned you are an engineer so a good analogy would be a pump getting worse and worse vibration readings without anything physically changing upstream, downstream or in the pump itself. If youve confirmend that indeed nothing as changed, worn, broke, etc all you can do is question the vibration sensor...
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:12 AM   #43
Nik Nichols
Member Nik Nichols is offline
 
Nik Nichols's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Quinlan  TX
Posts: 21,383
Re: Bowed Legs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley James Thompson View Post
So what do I do about it? I told the PT, but if I'm getting increasing pain, it means their theory of what is wrong, is itself wrong, because their actions in accordance with their theory produce negative results.

And I expect if I went to another PT the regime would be similar, as history has thus far demonstrated.
You need to see another doctor if this one is not treating you as you would like or you don't trust them. Just because you ''expect'' it to go the same way does not meant it is so.

If you don't want to go to another doctor and figure it out through medical science you are stuck with doing it yourself and us on the boards, and if a doctor who studies this sort of thing can't figure it out after seeing you and testing you. us on the boards can not either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
In short, yes. Knees dont just go "on a persistant downward slope" if they are structurally sound. I know you mentioned you are an engineer so a good analogy would be a pump getting worse and worse vibration readings without anything physically changing upstream, downstream or in the pump itself. If youve confirmend that indeed nothing as changed, worn, broke, etc all you can do is question the vibration sensor...

good point.
__________________
49/M/5'7''/175lbs ''Take pain.'' quote: Mr Jenkins
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:06 AM   #44
Phil Washlow
Member Phil Washlow is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Westchester  IL
Posts: 306
Re: Bowed Legs

The thing that stuck out to me in reading this is you saying that you have collapsed arches. Without a stable arch/foot you will not be mechanically sound anywhere above that. Are they always collapsed? Have you been told that you have flat feet?
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:46 AM   #45
Bill M. Hesse
Member Bill M. Hesse is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Streetsboro  OH
Posts: 4,615
Re: Bowed Legs

There is always amputation. Considering South Africa had a Olympic sprinter missing his lower legs you should have no excuse to not be able to do Crossfit still. The right podiatrist should be happy to oblige.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:43 PM   #46
Bradley James Thompson
Banned Bradley James Thompson is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Newport News  VA
Posts: 324
Re: Bowed Legs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. Hesse View Post
There is always amputation. Considering South Africa had a Olympic sprinter missing his lower legs you should have no excuse to not be able to do Crossfit still. The right podiatrist should be happy to oblige.
I see your only purpose is to be as much of an *** as is possible. Congratulations, you succeed.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:15 AM   #47
Bill M. Hesse
Member Bill M. Hesse is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Streetsboro  OH
Posts: 4,615
Re: Bowed Legs

Satire friend. You have exhausted your optoons with us.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:56 PM   #48
Dustin Wintczak
Banned Dustin Wintczak is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Richland  WA
Posts: 1,788
Re: Bowed Legs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley James Thompson View Post
I see your only purpose is to be as much of an *** as is possible. Congratulations, you succeed.
I'm not exaggerating when I say trying to talk with you is like talking with my 4 year old daughter.

Daughter: "Daddy, I have an ow'ee on my knee, can I have a band aid"

Me: "No you're fine"

Daugther: "but it hurts, I need a band aid"

Me: "Band aids are for when you're bleeding, are you bleeding?"

Daughter: "No, but it hurts....I need a band aid."


Do you see the parallels? While my daughter has a bump on her knee and you have random pain in random places for no apparent reason, it's the same thing. You ask a question, get many different well-thought out answers and instead of thinking about what was said, you're just thinking about what you're going to say next. It literally doesn't matter what any of us say. Because you're going to have an answer or excuse for whatever remedy or suggestion is given.

I've had that conversation with her about a half-dozen different times with her. But that's ok because she's 4, so you have to continually repeat the same things over and over again until they understand....you sir are an adult and have no excuse, you just don't want to listen.

Stop doing movements if they hurt or take an ibuprofen and suck it up.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:04 PM   #49
Bradley James Thompson
Banned Bradley James Thompson is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Newport News  VA
Posts: 324
Re: Bowed Legs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Wintczak View Post
I'm not exaggerating when I say trying to talk with you is like talking with my 4 year old daughter.

Daughter: "Daddy, I have an ow'ee on my knee, can I have a band aid"

Me: "No you're fine"

Daugther: "but it hurts, I need a band aid"

Me: "Band aids are for when you're bleeding, are you bleeding?"

Daughter: "No, but it hurts....I need a band aid."


Do you see the parallels? While my daughter has a bump on her knee and you have random pain in random places for no apparent reason, it's the same thing. You ask a question, get many different well-thought out answers and instead of thinking about what was said, you're just thinking about what you're going to say next. It literally doesn't matter what any of us say. Because you're going to have an answer or excuse for whatever remedy or suggestion is given.

I've had that conversation with her about a half-dozen different times with her. But that's ok because she's 4, so you have to continually repeat the same things over and over again until they understand....you sir are an adult and have no excuse, you just don't want to listen.

Stop doing movements if they hurt or take an ibuprofen and suck it up.
To draw a parallel between an obvious injury and a nagging problem is irrational.

Randomness is irrational. It's obviously not random. To claim that pain in a specific place is random, and that that place is random, is about as irrational a thing as could be thought by any person, adult, child, or in-between. Pain occurs for a reason.

And questions are not answers/excuses, but on the internets, particularly on this forum, people seem to think that if you ask a question you're attacking their intellect/credientials/etc or making excuses, rather than trying to understand.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:46 PM   #50
Chris Jones
Member Chris Jones is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Charlotte  NC
Posts: 790
Re: Bowed Legs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley James Thompson View Post
To draw a parallel between an obvious injury and a nagging problem is irrational.

Randomness is irrational. It's obviously not random. To claim that pain in a specific place is random, and that that place is random, is about as irrational a thing as could be thought by any person, adult, child, or in-between. Pain occurs for a reason.

And questions are not answers/excuses, but on the internets, particularly on this forum, people seem to think that if you ask a question you're attacking their intellect/credientials/etc or making excuses, rather than trying to understand.
this one works both ways buddy, just some food for thought.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What to do for legs? George Nesrallah Injuries 0 09-23-2011 02:24 PM
Legs Giovanna Carollo Workout of the Day 10 04-15-2010 04:20 AM
Please help my legs! Mikhail Rubinshteyn Starting 8 03-02-2009 03:55 PM
How can I get legs like these? Gus Smith Fitness 41 11-20-2008 07:27 PM
Too much legs? Erik Skaer Exercises 5 10-04-2008 01:59 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.