CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 05-31-2013, 07:17 PM   #1
Joy Francisco

Profile:
Question Post-op/rehab advice needed

Hi all,

It's been exactly 2 weeks since I had a laparotomy. I have an incision that's a good 4 - 5 inches below my navel, while being about 4 - 5 inches wide. I just got back from my follow up with the OB/GYN (who was also my surgeon for this procedure) & I was told I'm clear to do "upper body" work, but none from the waist down for at least 6-8 weeks. (This is extremely heart-wrenching for me.) It was difficult enough describing to him what CrossFit is (he's old & hard of hearing), so I showed him some vids of my basic lifts I had stored on my phone (squat/bench/deadlift) & C&J & snatch. Most them got the *shock & horror* look, followed by a "NO." He was okay with bench, pull ups, push ups, & just said stick to "upper body."

The incision itself is almost fully healed on the surface (it was sealed with Dermabond instead of stitches or staples), but he reminded me that I still need to heal internally. Even just laying around for 2 weeks being unable to do much of anything has been depressing, but I'm trying to keep a level head, heal properly, but still be able to maintain some of my strength. Can anyone suggest any movements I can do in the meantime? I was on a strict strength program prior to all this (3x week), with some light conditioning. There has to be more I can do aside from just pull/chin/push ups, & bench. I'd even settle for air squats with a weighted vest at this point.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:35 AM   #2
Kate Head

Profile:
Re: Post-op/rehab advice needed

Hi Joy,

Hope you got the results you needed from your op? As for your recovery take the time. Rest the body. It sux, its hard and depressing but make it a challenge. Now tell me you have not challenged yourself!

Reality is. If you do not rest to let the body heal, It will take longer.
Scars are only 85% healed after 6 months.

I had major surgery under my arms. (lumps removed) I am left with 4 scars, each aprox 8-9 inches long. This was my second time under the knife. 1st time I ignored the doctors and did to much too soon, resulting in unhealed scars and infections pushing recovery back 2 extra months.

Second operation I rested, had my mum stay with me and slap me if I tried anything. (she slapped alot but allowed me to train her so at least I was getting my gym fit)
Results, recovery was quicker. No infections and minimal scaring.
No to mention a more mobile mummy..YAY

Good luck and take care of your self.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:09 PM   #3
Diane Shadgett

Profile:
Re: Post-op/rehab advice needed

Hi Joy!

I agree with Kate. I had a bi-lateral mastectomy and lymph nodes removed, following chemo last July. I was devastated to not be able to work out, but I could work my lower body only for the first 3 months after surgery. I thought no pull-ups, push-ups, rowing!! I took the time, rested my upper body and I am back full force doing snatch, C&J, everything. The message I want to send, is at least you can work your upper body. Your lower will benefit from you doing something and you will gain strength in your lower body quicker for working the upper. The rest actually helps too. Heal, smile and know that 8weeks is nothing in the big picture!