CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 04-09-2010, 12:56 PM   #1
Giovanna Carollo

Profile:
Legs

Hey everyone,

Ive been doing crossfit for about a year and i LOVE it... i would goto the gym religiously 5 times a week sitting on machines to target different body types and seeing very little results. then i was introduced to crossfit and my body has made such a change. I like lean muscle not to bulk up and thats what i have gotten with my upper body, i just want some help because i feel that my legs havent gotten that much definition and wanted to see if there was something else i could do. I always do the Wod's posted for the day as Rx or sometimes if its too much i scale it down, but dont notice that much change with my legs. I played soccer growing up and i always had nice toned legs and ever since i stopped playing i feel i have lost it, and want it back. help me out crossfitters

Giovanna
Old 04-09-2010, 03:26 PM   #2
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:
Re: Legs

Squat more.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:22 PM   #3
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

If you've got small legs then lots of squats, deadlifts, and Oly lifting combined with eating more should fix it. If the legs of your jeans aren't fitting significantly tighter within a month or so you're doing it wrong unless you've got a lot of fat to burn. But according to one of your previous posts you're 5'2" and 120lbs so you'll probably see some redistribution of those 120lbs.

Remember what Rip says...there's no such thing as "toning" muscles, there's only stronger and weaker. Stronger is what you want. Stronger usually entails gaining some muscle mass, but as a female you don't have the testosterone levels to get big and bulky unless you make a seriously concerted effort to do so. Your legs may get slightly larger but not grotesquely so, and not in a way that looks unattractive to any sane guy.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:15 PM   #4
Josh Groves

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giovanna Carollo View Post
I played soccer growing up and i always had nice toned legs and ever since i stopped playing i feel i have lost it, and want it back. help me out crossfitters

Giovanna
One of the reasons that soccer players have such great legs is due to the nature of the sport. If you break it down, soccer is essentially a series of sprints. Sprints are anaerobic muscle-building machines.

Throw some sprint work in with your normal workouts or several hours after your workouts and you will start to see that definition again. You don't need to worry about long distances, nothing longer than ~3/4 of a soccer field is needed.

For example, you could run 8 sprints at 3/4 length of a soccer field with rest between efforts. Maintain a 4:1 ratio of rest to work. This translates to, if the sprint takes you 8 seconds, 32 seconds of rest. I recommend sprint work be done on a soft surface such as a sports field or a rubberized track surface. Also, if you haven't done sprints in a long time, run a few lengths where you just practice starting and stopping a few times and gradually work into the dead start sprint so that you can reduce the chance of a pulled hamstring.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:33 PM   #5
Andrew Breyer

Profile:

The Olympic lifts go a lonngg way for leg strength.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:28 AM   #6
Ben Sparks

Profile:

If you want strong legs (or any muscles, really), do the work.

If you want "definition" its all about the eating.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:31 PM   #7
Jean-Paul Lara

Profile:

also remember to use foam rollers! I recently just started using it to massage the IT band and quads and all knee pain and tightness has completely gone away and my lifts have been awesome and i just feel more confident just cuz my legs feel so well rested and energized for some reason...maybe it's just me, lol.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:47 PM   #8
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:

Maybe shuttle runs would help..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Paul Lara View Post
also remember to use foam rollers! I recently just started using it to massage the IT band and quads and all knee pain and tightness has completely gone away and my lifts have been awesome and i just feel more confident just cuz my legs feel so well rested and energized for some reason...maybe it's just me, lol.
I found a golfball on the ground on the way in and have been using it for my hamstrings. I sit on a box and put the ball under my leg and kind a roll it around... it works great. I've always had trouble trying to foam roll my hamstrings... I used the golf ball for maybe 2 minutes tops and then did a few air squats and my depth increased tremendously.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:46 PM   #9
Giovanna Carollo

Profile:

Hey thank you all for the replies i appreciate it. as for squating i do the exercise when it comes up on the WOD. Should i start doing it few times a week for warm up at a reasonable weight. Im not trying to bulk up i just want definition like i have on my upper body. i hear that the vibram five finger shoes alot of crossfitters wear are a good purchase because they strengthen lower legs, is this true?
Old 04-14-2010, 11:40 PM   #10
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Giovanna, shoes are not going to make your legs bulk up.

Some ladies will attest to wearing high heels, but prolonged use of high heels tends to do more damage to the legs than whatever benefit is gained to the calves and butt.

3 sets of 5 reps of deadlifting or squats will go a long way before the daily CF metcon. Or sets of sprints, olympic lifts.

As well, with females, I think bodyfat collects more on the upper legs and buttocks than on the upper body. I'm not sure this is your problem but bare in mind the lower body is just plain bigger than the upper body and can store more fat on them.