CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-27-2010, 01:07 PM   #1
William John

Profile:
Diary and carbs

Hey guys, I am just wondering how bad diary products are. I been into fitness for a long time now. Now, as I am getting older I realize I need to get my diet in check due to weight gain, there was a time where I eat whatever and whenever I wanted. I am trying to follow the Paleo diet but it is hard. I have been consuming some organic wheat bread, getting off it and other non-Paleo approved foods. My biggest problem is diary. I eat a decent amount of Greek yogurt and just recently stopped drinking milk (still use a little cream in my coffee though). If anyone has in tips on how to clean up my diet I would appreciate it. I can only eat so many veggies till I am sick of them and then binge on junk food. Is wheat bread and pasta bad, sweet potatoes, and yogurt that bad for the human body.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:58 PM   #2
Ben Faber

Profile:
Re: Diary and carbs

Unfortunately, neolithic foods have no place in an athlete or any human's diet. If you want to lose body fat, gain muscle, or just have healthy blood test readings, stick to paleolithic foods. When you get tired of eating veggies, eat veggies that you actually like. Incorporate variety and eat them raw, cooked in lard, cooked in coconut oil, dressed in olive oil, etc. Experiment on yourself. For two weeks, stick to meat, veggies, nuts, and fruit and see how you look, feel, and perform. If you decide to eat dairy after your experiment, the best dairy choices are fermented and whole, unprocessed (i.e. full-fat Greek yogurt, cream, butter, cheese). What you will notice is that all of the foods I am suggesting, whether they are paleolithic foods and/or dairy, are minimally processed. Technically, coffee and wine are not paleolithic foods, but I drink them anyway. If you read the nutritional facts for milk you will notice it is very high in carbohydrates and sugar. Carbohydrates DRIVES insulin, insulin DRIVES fat storage.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:36 PM   #3
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Ben's views are not universally held. Plenty of people get great results on less restrictive diets. Tolerance of grains and milk products seems to depend on your genetics. Wheat bread, pasta, and yogurt may all be fine *for you*.

Or they may not be. The only way to find out, as Ben said, is to experiment.

Katherine
Old 02-28-2010, 10:47 PM   #4
Benjamin Wheeler

Profile:

William,

Not a fan of wheat bread or pasta...but the greek yogurt probably won't kill you.If you can get whole milk, from a grass-fed cow, I am pretty confident that it won't kill you either...and might actually be good. Sweet potatoes are awesome. But one might want to cut them out for a bit until you lean out.

My advice would be to start here.

http://www.paleonu.com/get-started/ (WFS)

Good luck

Last edited by Benjamin Wheeler : 02-28-2010 at 10:52 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:42 AM   #5
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by William John View Post
Hey guys, I am just wondering how bad diary products are.
My opinion is if you can take them and they don't bother you and you like them, no issues. If you want to find out if they do bother you stop using them for a month then slowly introduce them back into your diet and see what your body does.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:35 AM   #6
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

I lean out a bit if I cut out dairy, but if I cut out milk, my recovery drops. I drink a fair amount of milk because I care more about my lifts than my abs.

When you get into the whole foods that are kind of gray area (steel cut oats, yogurt, milk, some beans), how you respond and what your goals are start to really matter. THe advice to remove it and add it back in listed in the above post are spot on.

There was a test I was reading about to see how grain tolerant you are. You got up sat and ate as many pancakes as you wanted (butter and maple syrup, nothing else). You then recorded how you felt during the next 4-6 hours. If you where energetic for the most part with little crashing, you were very grain tolerant. If you crashed hard or you were kind of tired, you weren't that grain tolerant. I was asleep in 2 hours.

Last edited by Jamie J. Skibicki : 03-01-2010 at 08:43 AM.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:50 AM   #7
Michael Dries

Profile:

I develop BAD sinus issues if I have even a whey protein shake.

Dairy is bad for some people, not for others. Remove it for 30 days, see how you feel, add it back, see how you feel. It's really the only way to know for sure.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:08 PM   #8
William John

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
I lean out a bit if I cut out dairy, but if I cut out milk, my recovery drops. I drink a fair amount of milk because I care more about my lifts than my abs.

When you get into the whole foods that are kind of gray area (steel cut oats, yogurt, milk, some beans), how you respond and what your goals are start to really matter. THe advice to remove it and add it back in listed in the above post are spot on.

There was a test I was reading about to see how grain tolerant you are. You got up sat and ate as many pancakes as you wanted (butter and maple syrup, nothing else). You then recorded how you felt during the next 4-6 hours. If you where energetic for the most part with little crashing, you were very grain tolerant. If you crashed hard or you were kind of tired, you weren't that grain tolerant. I was asleep in 2 hours.

That is my problem. Dairy helps me recover and I feel like it is easy to grab on the run. I have been cutting down on my carbs, even the slow burning ones like oatmeal and wheat bread. It is not like I am really fat at all either. I am pretty lean as is but, I don't have the cuts I use to have.

The big thing is I am new to an actually crossfit facility. Watching the elites train I realized how important diet and proper rest really is.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:11 AM   #9
Greg Harrington

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Faber View Post
Technically, coffee and wine are not paleolithic foods, ...
You could debate that wine is, in fact, a paleolithic food. I am sure there were many circumstances in which grape juice was made and then started to ferment naturally. Wild grapes would have had very low sugar content, enabling a very easy start to fermentation. Native yeasts surround us. Even the highest sugar grapes used in modern winemaking, like Zinfandel, will start to ferment without the additional of yeast in a winery.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:59 PM   #10
Walker Fenz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
Two things:
1) I've gotta try this.
2) I can't beleive you ate pancakes and syrup and no bacon!?