CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-28-2006, 08:03 PM   #1
John Daniel

Profile:
I really liked Dave Werner's standards he created. I noticed that for any given level, some of the standards appeared much easier for me than a different one at the same level. Does this help illustrate my weaknesses? Or are they "unbalanced"?

For example, at level 2, 30 pushups, 100 squats, bw squat, mp 1/2 bw, bp bw, 1:45 row, and some others are not a major problem. However, 60 continuous 24kg kb snatches and a muscle up are BIG challenges for me.

Would these weaknesses be good ones to attack? I had been focusing on a few others like the DL, which I can complete the Level 2 DL; but not about 5 others.

Also, pull ups are kipping right?
Old 07-29-2006, 08:19 PM   #2
Butch White

Profile:

Yes... your weaknesses uncovered by these standards should be the ones you attack. I'm in the same boat as you John. I'm good with most of the Intermediate standards but the 30 24kg KB snatches with each arm AND the 45 1/2 BW Thrusters are two I'm going to focus upon... those two I don't "own" just yet.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:21 AM   #3
Roger Harrell

Profile:
I think that the list is going to appear unbalanced to most people, because most people are specialized somewhat. It's hard for me to look at the list not think that the handstand/rope/gymnastics type of exercises are far too easy compared to some of the other things.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:00 AM   #4
John Velandra

Profile:
How were these standards derived? What makes them Lv1-4? Based on???

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea and now have something to strive towards (way too many things to strive towards - lol), but am curious.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:18 AM   #5
Mike Kirkpatrick

Profile:
The 45 reps of 1/2 Bodyweight DB Thrusters is pretty hardcore for anyone.

I weigh 193lbs, and that is going to be very difficult for me to achieve.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:43 AM   #6
Allen Yeh

Profile:
Mike,

Take a look at David Werner answer in regards to the thrusters:

"That one may turn out to be too tough, but right now I think not. 45 thrusters at 1/2 bodyweight is less than the requirements of Fran - minus the pullups. There is no time constraint, although it should be done in one set, so "resting" at the bottom is allowed.

A more imortant point though is that many people are not doing thrusters right. The bar should be racked on the shoulders, not carried in the hands, and the movement should not be a press. Done correctly, hip power drives the bar with enough momentum to carry the bar all the way to the top. On the way down, the athlete opens their hands and deposits the bar back on the shoulders in a good front squat rack.

I realize that the requirement is a lot of work, that is the point. It is consistent though with the 1/2 bodyweight MP requirement. Thrusters are not like military presses.

Doing the same thing with dumbells is much harder, a very different beast. The trick to mastering this is to get your form on thrusters (and front squats) right.

Regards
Dave Werner
Crossfit North"

From this thread:
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/21/24423.html
Old 08-01-2006, 04:59 AM   #7
Jason Steele

Profile:
Allen is correct, if done correctly, 1/2 bw thrusters really aren't that bad (I am working up to the 45 though). I weight over 200, so I feel your pain Mike.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:04 AM   #8
Aushion Chatman

Profile:
Yeah that one seemed particularly tough to me too,...I'm pushing the scale at 198 last weigh-in. I just did a WOD with 25, 19, 10 thrusters at 105# (and deads at 225#) and I had to break up the first 25...of course that was different pacing...

Can resting in the bottom really help? Seems like you'd want to just keep going to me. I guess I can see it during your last 1-3 reps...

Aush
Old 08-03-2006, 08:02 AM   #9
Kim Chase

Profile:
First post here. Hi! :-) This is really neat. I can already pick out my strengths and weaknesses, with just a couple of months of CF under my belt. Strong hips. Who knew?!

I was just curious... why the gender-based scaling for some items (rowing), but not others (running, pullups, vertical jump)? Are things like pullups and muscle-ups (!) considered self-scaling because of weight? (Darn, I wish I was one of those sleek, 120 lb girls!) It just seems like most women would have an easier time getting as fast as a man in something like rowing, than gaining upper body strength as well as a man.... Thanks!
Old 08-03-2006, 09:09 AM   #10
David Werner

Profile:
Kim

Rowing power is very dependant on mass, the standards are set for light-weight men and women, and are developed from times recorded on the concept 2 web site. Light weight means less than 165 pounds for men and less than 135 pounds for women. Those 30 pounds make a big difference!

Larger folks have complained a little about some of the standards - the 1/2 body-weight thrusters in particular, but this is one standard where larger people have a distinct advantage.

On a related note, body composition is clearly a component of being fit and yet I didn't mention it anywhere in the skill levels. The issue will be forced however, as some of the tasks will require decent body composition to complete. Both for performance and health we really want a good strength to weight ratio.

Regards

Dave Werner
Crossfit North