CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 10-05-2012, 04:48 PM   #11
Laura Bogardus

Profile:
Re: Bilateral Knee Replacement

Well yesterday, 10/4/12, was 9 weeks since my bilateral TKR. Last week, I was at 145 after working out in both legs at my out patient PT class. Now, I'm trying to focus more on getting weakness out of my knees and get stronger all over. So, Starting on 10/2/12, I started going back to crossfit and do the warm up and realized I should incorporate some of the PT moves. I also started back at hot yoga, but just did some of the moves (it was not pretty) and I'm trying to stay in the heated room. I'm hoping that my next PT session on Monday shows improvement in the strength and balance departments. For me this is has been slow going. So, I'll have to see what's ahead and how I feel in a few weeks with PT is over. Still have numbness and stuff running through my knees which doesn't feel too good. But, that should eventually stop I'm told.

Today, I did 2 rounds of: 500m row, 20 push ups, 50 situps, 10 dips with blue band, 30 right then left leg dips from 12inch box to floor (broke into 2 sets of 15), then 20 right then left step ups on 12 inch box, then 5 step up and over right then left leg off a 12 inch box, 15@ 25lb push presses, 15 green band pull ups, 30 air squats to 18 inch box. After that then 5 minutes on stationary bike then a stretching cool down. That pooped me out and was hard for me. I will try this a few more times before changing anything except the row. My other goal is to get through these moves a little faster than what it's taking me. It takes forever!!! Skipped my walk today.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:57 PM   #12
Laura Bogardus

Profile:

Went to out patient PT today and workout was still tough when it comes to slowing the speed and knee position when I step off of the platform. But, it is improving. I need to work on this at crossfit. My ROM after PT was 145-left leg and 146-right leg. Decided to get a massage to help work out scar tissue and muscle tightness. oooooooh mama! loved it. I'm definitely going back. I've had numbness still in center bottom of right foot which needed attention from someone more than me.

Did a morning walk, before out patient PT. But, still walking slow. People talking on the phone are moving much faster than me. But, I guess walking will get better. Can anyone sit on their feet? Even though I have good ROM, I haven't been able to sit on my feet. I'm working towards that, maybe in a month or two or even longer. I'm afraid to force it. Patience.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:32 PM   #13
Laura Bogardus

Profile:

Well, I just passed the one year anniversary of my bilateral knee replacement surgery. Plus points: I can kneel, but not too long. ROM is 145 both legs, but need to loosen up some. I can Nordic or regular walk, do modified crossfit, yoga and cycle. Flexibility continues to improve. What I did not realize is that with a knee replacement you must work out in order to reduce the stiffness in your knees. Minus points: still cannot sit on feet. Knees still are achy when I squat. Still have to ice if I work out a lot (i.e. crossfit, then yoga or walking). Also, I get pains across the knees like they are trying to wake up by sticking little pins all over at one time. Doesn't last long, but it happens. Other than that, I now do not limp and I can hike up and down hills-I use poles. Before surgery, I could not hike down without excruciating pain. Oh, and I am now trying not to be so fearful of doing movements in yoga. That's a little more challenging for me, because some of it is in my head and I know it. But, I'm not always sure when I'm being overly cautious versus not careful. It's important to check with your PT person on flexibility moves involving knees in case it is positioning that will cause problems for your new metal parts.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:08 PM   #14
Laura Bogardus

Profile:

Well it's been just over 19 months since my surgery. So, I decided to try workout 14.1 in the masters division for those of us age 55-59. It was really tough trying to do double unders. I'm hoping that's all of them for the open. I'm very blessed and happy to have gotten through that. Jumping is challenging for me. Still not doing box jumps. Completed 180 reps of 14.1. Hope I can do the movements for 14.2 whatever that may be. Good luck to all who participate. Remember to have fun with it.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:14 PM   #15
Karen Hayes

Profile:

Hi Laura-
I also did 14.1 24 months post op. I had never done DU's before so I was frantically trying to get them from Friday to Sunday morning. My legs and knee are fried right now . I am having a difficult time even jumping at the moment. I was curious if you are feeling discomfort in your knees. (I only had the one).
I am a bit discouraged because I can't replicate the DU's I accomplished for the workout. I am hoping that my legs are just having a hard time recovering (cuz I'm 57)
Thank you! AND, congrats on the workout results. That is awesome!
Old 03-07-2014, 11:33 PM   #16
Laura Bogardus

Profile:

Hi Karen,

I rarely do DUs because of the reason you mentioned. Yes, my knees were both pretty fried after attempting them even if it's just like 10 to 20 of them. I think it's because of the positioning of the body weight coming down (pounding) on where the metal goes into the leg bones. Not having any medical training, of course, I do not really know why or what really happens. In the recent past it has taken at least a week to recover. This last time it took less time, but I had to be careful because I could feel it when I bent my knees or tried to do anything like go up and down stairs or just exercise. I also think it happens because it takes a lot longer than we think to build the tendons or whatever is on the sides of our knees. I know it gets a little better. But, at only 19 months out, I have no idea if it really gets much better. One PT I saw gave me some exercises to do to build that part up when I was experiencing some real sharp knee pain. It worked. But, I stopped because I wanted that time back. But, I plan to do them again because I could feel the difference. Also, what I think made it not last so long this time was stretching, vinyasa yoga and cycling pretty much right after I did the movement. (But, it was hard to do this.) I also try to do yin yoga which is holding poses for 3 to 5 minutes. It's for the joints and ligaments. And of course icing is important because some of the pain I believe is new inflammation from the pounding. Let me know if you have more questions. Good luck with 14.2. I'm happy for the jumping pull-ups, since I can't figure out pull-ups. I plan to do it tomorrow.
Old 03-08-2014, 05:28 PM   #17
Karen Hayes

Profile:

Thank you for the information. It seems that I get a little soreness and stiffness no matter what I do
Ran today for the first time in a few months. I guess I'll have to wake up and see how it feels.
Good luck with the jumping chest to bar pull ups. It definitely is a different movement than I am used to.
Have fun and thank you again,
Karen
Old 03-09-2014, 01:29 PM   #18
Laura Bogardus

Profile:

Hi Karen,

You're very welcome. I really think the amount of time it takes to heal is longer as long as we continue to push to improve. I feel the achy soreness too. Sometimes not so much. Well 14.2 crushed me. I tried it twice! First time was 37, then today was 58. In my mind and apparently my dreams, I could do much more. But, in reality, it is what it is. The little improvement was due to thinking a little more where my feet were so I could be closer to the bar. I actually jumped more than I scored and at times I jumped high enough for it to be chest worthy. But, I couldn't get to the bar. What'd up with that??? When I first tried this, it definitely did not feel good on the knees. But, it got better. Must have been the landing. I was thinking the OHS would be the problem, they weren't. Good luck to you and all who participate! Be careful, be strong, be you!
Old 03-16-2014, 04:43 PM   #19
Laura Bogardus

Profile:

Did 14.3 twice. First time my reps were 120; the second time my reps were 136. I'm happy I did it twice. I did the "no collar" both times and had my weights ready so that all I did was add on, no taking off then putting on. (My friends at the box, knew what they were talking about and gave me this excellent tip.) But, what helped increase my reps the second go around I think was changing my thinking for me, "it's 8 minutes so go all out." The first time I was pacing myself a tiny bit so I could have energy for the big weights. Also, when you have to pick it up twice then drop the weight and then step back. Instead, just pick it up once and drop it. And keep going with that. Try not to step back too much; chase the bar and pick it up and drop it. Remember with 8 minutes, it's almost over. Also, I was afraid of doing 14.3 two days in a row. But, I didn't feel it so much until after the second time. After 14.3 then helping out at my folks, I slept for a few hours. I just got up a few minutes ago. While, I wasn't quite sure about 14.3 and my knees, I did what I could and am happy with the results. Of course I wanted higher numbers. I'll have to see if my knees can handle more weight in the future; but I must be careful. Good luck with 14.3 and have fun.
Old 03-23-2014, 01:50 PM   #20
Laura Bogardus

Profile:

Oh my!! After today, I sure want to do 14.4 over! But, no time for that. So, I'll take the 113. I was just slow on the row and those T2Bs. Next year will be different. It was still exhilarating and fun. And without having Andy keeping me posted on my count and the time, I would not have even finished the T2Bs. Thank you Andy!! The most surprising thing for me is that I was able to drop from the bar to the floor and it did not hurt. And I can walk upright!! For me this is a big deal. I'll be excited when I can actually jump up to the bar from the ground. And I feel it coming soon. Have fun with this one. I hope they have it next year and I intend with a couple of other folks to put it away!!!