CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 12-27-2008, 11:17 AM   #1
Lisa Gallagher

Profile:
Knee Clicking & Pain

I am fairly new to CrossFit and come from a running & triathlon background. I've struggled with pain on the lower outside part of my knee for awhile now. When I run, my knee seems to click just before or after my foot hits the ground. Up to this point, I have ignored it for the most part because the pain was minor. Now that I am doing CrossFit, however, the clicking and pain has become more annoying, especially after work outs involving a lot of jumping and/or squatting. I had a physical therapist check for torn meniscus and acute injuries and I seem to be ok. Of course, I need a Dr. to confirm but I am not inclined to go down that route as I know I will ordered to stop working out. I am pretty sure its either IT Band related or some form of runner's knee. I was wondering if anyone had dealt with this problem before and had some advice. Perhaps there is some form of trigger point therapy and/or stretches that might relieve the symptoms. I welcome any suggestions. Thanks.
Old 12-27-2008, 01:22 PM   #2
Kevin Wood

Profile:
Re: Knee Clicking & Pain

Sounds like IT band. I have a tight band, and I've taken up foam rolling. It's helped so far. Give it a shot and see how it works for you.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:15 PM   #3
Colleen McClintock

Profile:

I developed some residual knee pain after high volume squats and kettlebell swings and decided to try the foam roller on my IT band. It worked wonders for me. Give it a try- if it is your IT band you will feel the difference in a matter of days. Here is a link that shows how to use the foam roller on your IT band:

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/f...amRoller_5.htm

Good luck!
Old 12-28-2008, 08:45 AM   #4
Kevin Daigle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleen McClintock View Post
I developed some residual knee pain after high volume squats and kettlebell swings and decided to try the foam roller on my IT band. It worked wonders for me. Give it a try- if it is your IT band you will feel the difference in a matter of days. Here is a link that shows how to use the foam roller on your IT band:

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/f...amRoller_5.htm

Good luck!
I used to get some clicking now and then, and as far as it was explained to me it was a ligament that was sliding on and off of the joint that caused the sensation/sound.

Strangely enough, since starting crossfit thats gone away, and I don't get tendonitis in my patellar tendon anymore either......as well as lifting heavier than I have in years.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:37 AM   #5
Carolyn Kiper

Profile:

I have had that same clicking sound in the knee - I am also a runner and triathlete. And I've also had ITB really bad in the past. Definitely keep up with the foam roller stretching! But another stretch that has helped me out tremendously is the kneeling quad stretch. Here's a link with a description and picture. This stretch was given to me by both my yoga instructor and my chiropractor. Stretching the quad released a lot of the tightness through my knee and stopped that clicking!

http://www.fitsugar.com/1626823

I can tell when I am really tight because I can't get into the position shown in the picture, I have to lean forward instead of being upright.

Good luck!
Old 01-05-2009, 05:13 PM   #6
Lisa Gallagher

Profile:

Thanks for the suggestions. I used a roller and a tennis ball to work on the side of my quads along the IT Band.... It was very tender... there even seems to be a knot right in the middle that I cant work out just yet. I am guessing this is just the results of extensive overuse. I am going to keep working it everyday, along with some other sore areas. I may also try to find someone locally that does A.R.T. to see if a very deep tissue massage will help with the knot.

One other thing I noticed is on the back of my leg, top outter part of calf, just near the knee is also sore and tender. Is this indicative IT Band Syndrome also?
Old 01-06-2009, 06:08 AM   #7
Carolyn Kiper

Profile:

Lisa: go to this link and see if you think it is the Popliteus:
http://www.rad.washington.edu/academ...eus/atlasImage

I didn't know anything about this muscle until I injured mine. My massage therapist worked that out rather quickly.

Carolyn
Old 01-06-2009, 07:20 AM   #8
Lisa Gallagher

Profile:

Actually, that looks like exactly what I am talking about. Did your knee click also?

Thank you.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:46 AM   #9
Carolyn Kiper

Profile:

Yes Lisa. My knee clicked too. But I'm not sure it was the popliteus. I think mine was tightness in the quad - or more likely the vastus lateralis and ITB (similar to your tender spots). I just ALSO happened to have a knot in the popliteus but I think they were two different issues. I say that because, as a long distance runner, I always have quad/ITB tightness that I'm constantly working on (by stretching and massage). But I tripped and fell and I think that's how I hurt the popliteus.

But do check with your massage therapist. From what I read about an injury (or just general tightness) to the popliteus, massage is the best thing to work that out. It's a very tender area, but my massage therapist did wonders for me!
Old 01-08-2009, 04:27 PM   #10
Nathan Willet

Profile:

I'm a clicker too. Elbows, knees, wrists, ankles, and shoulders. I started foam rolling my IT and found out that I'm way to tight. It made my gasp in pain the first few times, now it's much easier and very little pain in my knees.

Still a clicker though.