CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-27-2008, 07:07 PM   #1
Dan P McHugh

Profile:
Sternum issues

Hi all - I used to play rugby, but 3 years ago I separated my sternum (I know!) at the bottom of a ruck. I guess it's better than breaking a collarbone, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, my issue is that when I separated my sternum, it left a sizable bump and it's reasonably tender (expect some minor nerve damage happened there). My issue is on exercises where I need to rest the bar on my chest (clean and jerk for example). I can't rest it comfortably on my chest and end up taking most of the load on my hands. This is fine for metcon, but not for load.

I've considered wrapping a towel around the bar, but was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions about technique. Perhaps resting the bar much higher on my chest/neck??
Old 08-27-2008, 07:34 PM   #2
Aaron C Bennett

Profile:
Re: Sternum issues

I have the exact same problem, although mine was caused in a tackle. I also have to put the bar under the bump, which puts extra strain on the wrists and hands.

I don't have any solutions, but I'd love to hear what others say. And don't just say stop playing rugby, because that's not going to happen.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:43 AM   #3
Matthew Sato

Profile:

I had a similar issue with my sternum except the tissue was torn underneath. I took it easy for a few months (or tried to, my chiropractor yelled at me every time I did MU's). But getting it treated was the best thing I could do for it. Leaving it alone won't make it go away, so the best advice I could give is go see a doctor about it. Chronic pain is not natural.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:45 PM   #4
Dan P McHugh

Profile:

True, it's not fun, but I had it treated at the time. A very funny story with a shoddy accupunturist in Hong Kong (he hooked the needles up to a 12v battery - I kid you not) and a physio who saw me every 2nd day for 3 weeks and litterally sat on my chest in an attempt to get the separation as small as possible.

I'm resigned to it always being a bit tender, as it has heald stronger than before... just having a loaded bar sitting on it as the only point of contact can get painful.

Aaron, glad to hear that you're still playing!